PDA

View Full Version : Goose Boobs???

antny616
01-21-2010, 08:29 PM
Guy's, I need some help. Guna smoke a couple of goose breast this weekend. Never done one before, so can ya'll give me some pointers?
Don't want to brine, thinking of injecting, rubbing and a BACON blanket.
Tell me what ya think.

Thanks!

antny

Primo
01-21-2010, 08:32 PM
Good luck on the goose breast .

silver-bullet
01-21-2010, 08:42 PM
Never did Goose Tits before :exasper: But Experimenting sure is fun! I say go for it. What you have planned sounds good to me!
I'm guessing you would probably want to pull it off when the internal is 170-180. Like other poultry. But I could be wrong. :shrug:
I would cook it slow 225 to 250 to hopefully retain juices. I know some would disagree.:shrug:
I'm going to be doing a bit of experimenting this weekend myself.
Good Luck & be sure to post your Pictures!
Just my :twocents:

SmokyOkie
01-21-2010, 10:15 PM
As some might expect, I have mucho experience in this area, and can tell you exactly what you need to know.

First off, wild goose or commercially raised goose? It makes all the difference in the world.

antny616
01-22-2010, 07:46 AM
As some might expect, I have mucho experience in this area, and can tell you exactly what you need to know.

First off, wild goose or commercially raised goose? It makes all the difference in the world.

Wild Goose.. One of the guys that work for me shot a bunch over New Years.

What next????

antny

SmokyOkie
01-22-2010, 12:48 PM
First off remember to think of it as fatless tight grained beef.

You can lard it with bacon and grill it, but if you do, you will want to cook it fairly rare.

If you want to smoke it, think in terms of foiling it early and leaving it foiled. That and cooking it until the fibers break down.

I think a marinade is more in order than a brine.

Try soy sauce, garlic, brown sugar, MSG and oil. about 30% should be oil, and if you can vaccu marinate it, you should.

If you want to give it and avian taste, add some grated ginger, or pineapple juice.

Lack of fat is your biggest enemy. Tight grain is your second worst enemy.

If there are shot holes and blood clots, a soak in MSG solution for a couple days will help break the blood clots or bruises down.

Low and slow or hot and fast and rare are your options.

I think what I would do is to use the above marinade or some variation of it, give it about an hour in smoke with some bacon on it, or a spritz with some of the marinade, then foil it with a bunch'o'onions and give it about 5 hours in the 275 range.

antny616
01-22-2010, 01:09 PM
First off remember to think of it as fatless tight grained beef.

You can lard it with bacon and grill it, but if you do, you will want to cook it fairly rare.

If you want to smoke it, think in terms of foiling it early and leaving it foiled. That and cooking it until the fibers break down.

I think a marinade is more in order than a brine.

Try soy sauce, garlic, brown sugar, MSG and oil. about 30% should be oil, and if you can vaccu marinate it, you should.

If you want to give it and avian taste, add some grated ginger, or pineapple juice.

Lack of fat is your biggest enemy. Tight grain is your second worst enemy.

If there are shot holes and blood clots, a soak in MSG solution for a couple days will help break the blood clots or bruises down.

Low and slow or hot and fast and rare are your options.

I think what I would do is to use the above marinade or some variation of it, give it about an hour in smoke with some bacon on it, or a spritz with some of the marinade, then foil it with a bunch'o'onions and give it about 5 hours in the 275 range.

Thanks Tim, you the man..
I will let you know how it turns out!

antny

SmokyOkie
01-22-2010, 01:10 PM
Just remember, add some fat to it and keep it moist. If you do it low and slow, it isn;t done until it get fall apart like good pot roast.

SmokyOkie
01-22-2010, 02:17 PM
Oh yeah, be sure to slice them cross grain whatever way you cook them.