PDA

View Full Version : Shiz-Nit's Sweet and Tangy sauce

SmokyOkie
01-14-2010, 09:38 PM
Shiz posted some chix pix a few days ago and I though the sauce looked especially nice. I PMed him and asked him if he had any xtra that he wanted to share.

The true philanthropist that he is, he sent me a jar.

Here are a couple pix:

http://i890.photobucket.com/albums/ac108/SmokyOkie/SmokyOkie2009/DSC_0012.jpg

http://i890.photobucket.com/albums/ac108/SmokyOkie/SmokyOkie2009/DSC_0015.jpg

I think it is really good. He shared that he wanted to improve it. I told him that the only way to do that was to decide exactly what your target is and then move toward it. Perhaps he can share here some of the things he would like to do to modify the recipe and as a community we can help him achieve his objective flavor and texture profile.

Let's see what happens.

All that said, could you want a prettier sauce?

Vermin99
01-14-2010, 10:19 PM
It looks like a really good soup. Put some in a bowl warm it up and dip some bread in it and I would be happy.

Shiz-Nit
01-14-2010, 11:26 PM
SmokyOkie glad to hear you liked the sauce.
But as I said before I think it could be just a tad bit better. I have been wanting to try different types of apples and also different types of bourbons. I think bourbon with a more vanilla flavor after reduced maybe good for the sauce.
I like the shine of the sauce but I would like to see it a little thicker and have more tanginess to it without losing the appearance, sweetness and the heat.

peculiarmike
01-15-2010, 09:47 AM
OK Shiz, shoot me a sample jar and I'll see what I can do.
I'd trade off some home made cooked over an open fire in a 30 gallon copper kettle about 20 hours apple butter, best there is.
Hmmmmmmmmm...... add some apple butter????? Just wondering.....

Shiz-Nit
01-16-2010, 05:54 PM
OK Shiz, shoot me a sample jar and I'll see what I can do.
I'd trade off some home made cooked over an open fire in a 30 gallon copper kettle about 20 hours apple butter, best there is.
Hmmmmmmmmm...... add some apple butter????? Just wondering.....

Sounds interesting, Iíll send you a PM.

chef schwantz
01-16-2010, 06:04 PM
Looks good, any hints as to whats in it besides some Kentucky nip?