PDA

View Full Version : Surf & Turf Practice Cook

BYBBQ
01-10-2010, 08:06 PM
I did a practice cook to check the timing for the dinner party I'm cooking for in 2 weeks. Not the best pics, but you'll get the idea of what will be served. The plates are not finished, I didn't put all the garnishes on the plates for this timing cook.

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t299/jsdesign1/Pictures%202010/January/DINNER%20PARTY%201-10-10/DP_0011Medium.jpg
There will be 2 of these clam bowls with 1 1/2 dozen cold boiled shrimp in each with a spicy cocktail sauce.

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t299/jsdesign1/Pictures%202010/January/DINNER%20PARTY%201-10-10/DP_0014Medium.jpg
There will be 2 of these plates, each with 18 of the large lump of claw meat from stone crabs ( I used shrimp for the practice cook-lots cheaper ) served with a hot lemon-garlic butter sauce.

The shrimp and crab are for snacking during the cocktail time before the dinner while people are mingling.

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t299/jsdesign1/Pictures%202010/January/DINNER%20PARTY%201-10-10/DP_0021Medium.jpg
The appetizer is a cold creamy seafood salad with lump crab meat marinated in white wine, chopped scallops, shredded crab meat, and chopped shrimp served in sherbet glasses.

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t299/jsdesign1/Pictures%202010/January/DINNER%20PARTY%201-10-10/DP_0026Medium.jpg
A warm wilted salad of romaine lettuce & spinach, bacon, hard boiled eggs, tomatoes and shaved Romano cheese on top. The hot dressing was made from the bacon drippings, butter, olive oil, vinegar, and a raspberry puree.

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t299/jsdesign1/Pictures%202010/January/DINNER%20PARTY%201-10-10/DP_0028Medium.jpg
The main course is a bacon wrapped fillet mignon, grilled potatoes, grilled asparagus, and a grilled shrimp. The sauce was a demi-glaze that butter and brandy was added to and topped with green onion tops.

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t299/jsdesign1/Pictures%202010/January/DINNER%20PARTY%201-10-10/DP_0038Medium.jpg
Dessert was a creme brulee with peaches sauted in peach juice, brown sugar, honey, and nutmeg. Just before adding the peaches to the dish they were flamed with brandy. Whipped cream topping and sprinkled with a little cinnamon. This will have mint sprigs in the cornors for garnish at the dinner.:drooling:

Thanks for lookin'.:msn-wink:

Vermin99
01-10-2010, 08:17 PM
Everything looks delicious and well plated. What time should I be over in two weeks?

Bassman
01-10-2010, 08:43 PM
Some of us really need to be there to check for proper flavors, spices and herbs, etc. You can just PM the address to the select few and we'll be sure to help you out.:wings:

BigAL
01-11-2010, 06:56 AM
Looks and sounds fantastic! The hot dressing sounds great, bacon drippings.:wings::thumbs up:

Don't take this wrong, but the ONLY thing I see that needs "tweeked" is the asparagus color. Not normally noticed except w/the contrast w/the onion tops. Maybe that is good, I don't know.:shrug: To have a better color on the asapragus could you boil it for 10-20sec then into an ice bath?(can't remember what that is called) Doesn't that "lock-in" the color of veggies?

Is Pam's b-day come'n up again? Ya know, I have b-days, too.:tap:
:msn-wink::roflmaoha0:

Great post, Turd. Fantastic pix.:thumbs up:
:kewlpics:

BYBBQ
01-11-2010, 07:21 AM
Looks and sounds fantastic! The hot dressing sounds great, bacon drippings.:wings::thumbs up:

Don't take this wrong, but the ONLY thing I see that needs "tweeked" is the asparagus color. Not normally noticed except w/the contrast w/the onion tops. Maybe that is good, I don't know.:shrug: To have a better color on the asapragus could you boil it for 10-20sec then into an ice bath?(can't remember what that is called) Doesn't that "lock-in" the color of veggies?

Is Pam's b-day come'n up again? Ya know, I have b-days, too.:tap:
:msn-wink::roflmaoha0:

Great post, Turd. Fantastic pix.:thumbs up:
:kewlpics:

Are talking about blanching?? Might work, but it may leave them a little on the crisp side instead of soft and tender. I may try it and see what happens.

No, and I hope you have a birthday every year. The alternative is not very good.:moon: :roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0:

The party isn't ours. I was asked to do this cook by a couple that I catered a small ( 35 people ) BBQ cook ( pool party ) for last year.:msn-wink:

Joneser
01-11-2010, 07:42 AM
Wow, I'm very impressed, Jim.
Everything looks fantastic!

Primo
01-11-2010, 08:02 AM
Nice display of the food chosen .:thumbs up:

BigAL
01-11-2010, 09:14 AM
Are talking about blanching?? Might work, but it may leave them a little on the crisp side instead of soft and tender. I may try it and see what happens.

No, and I hope you have a birthday every year. The alternative is not very good.:moon: :roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0:

The party isn't ours. I was asked to do this cook by a couple that I catered a small ( 35 people ) BBQ cook ( pool party ) for last year.:msn-wink:

Yes, blanching. I think I saw someone do it w/spinach and you know my culinary skills......what works for one must work for all.:D

My wife would argue the point of the b-day every yr.:blushing:

Sounds like a great time. You'll knock it outta the park.:thumbs up:

smokin vernon
01-11-2010, 11:06 AM
Great job,nice presentation,I roast my asparagus with evo,salt and pepper in the oven, holds color better.:kewlpics::sign0092:

californiasmokin
01-11-2010, 04:42 PM
Jim, everything looks spectacular!

SmokyOkie
01-11-2010, 11:00 PM
I wan't the stone crabs:tap::tap::tap:

BYBBQ
01-12-2010, 06:51 AM
Great job,nice presentation,I roast my asparagus with evo,salt and pepper in the oven, holds color better.:kewlpics::sign0092:
True, but the people that are paying me to cook this dinner want them grilled, so grilled they will be.:D

I wan't the stone crabs:tap::tap::tap:

I did to but, they are too expensive to do that many for a practice cook. I promise I'll do a cook with stone crabs just for you and Big Al.:msn-wink:

BigAL
01-12-2010, 11:51 AM
True, but the people that are paying me to cook this dinner want them grilled, so grilled they will be.:D

I did to but, they are too expensive to do that many for a practice cook. I promise I'll do a cook with stone crabs just for you and Big Al.:msn-wink:

Well then hurry up! I'm hungry!:tap: :msn-wink::roflmaoha0:

Jake
01-12-2010, 06:47 PM
man do you ever screw anything up, all your cooks look so good, my tounge is dry from licking the screen again, crap and again :thumbs up:

cowgirl
01-12-2010, 06:49 PM
Mmmmmmm..... Looks better than fantastic Jim!! :wow:

Bubblehead
01-12-2010, 08:08 PM
Awesome looking spread!