PDA

View Full Version : I need a good tasty Chili Recipe !!

Primo
01-07-2010, 01:37 PM
Anyone have one they wanna share ?

tomshoots
01-07-2010, 08:35 PM
:whathesaid:

Vermin99
01-07-2010, 08:46 PM
got this recipe for Chili Colorado off of allrecipes .com. I have only made it once but have been craving to make some more. I followed the recipe but also added a little bit of cumin.
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/chile-colorado/Detail.aspx

Sucklebusters also sells a chili fixins that I really like. Just follow the directions on the package. This chili tastes way better the next day too.

Ingredients

9 New Mexico dry chiles - washed, with stems and seeds removed
3 cups water
5 pounds boneless beef chuck roast, trimmed of fat
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon black pepper
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 large yellow onion, chopped
2 cups beef stock or water

Directions

Place chiles and 3 cups water into a medium stockpot, and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and steep for 30 minutes to soften. Strain into a bowl, reserving the cooking liquid. Place the chiles and some of the liquid into a blender, and puree until smooth. Add more liquid as necessary to form a smooth sauce. Pass sauce through a fine mesh strainer to remove any seeds and the tough skins; set aside.
Cut the roast into 1 to 2 inch chunks. In a medium bowl, combine flour, salt, and pepper. Dredge the beef chunks in the seasoned flour; set aside.
Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Saute onion until tender and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add beef chunks a few at a time, so as not to overcrowd the pot, and cook until evenly brown. Remove cooked meat, and continue browning remaining meat. Return reserved cooked meat to the pot. Stir in pureed chile mixture. Add beef stock to just cover beef chunks, or to personal preference. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to lowest setting, and simmer for 3 hours, or until meat is tender. If necessary, adjust with more stock during cooking.

tomshoots
01-07-2010, 09:04 PM
got this recipe for Chili Colorado off of allrecipes .com. I have only made it once but have been craving to make some more. I followed the recipe but also added a little bit of cumin.
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/chile-colorado/Detail.aspx

Sucklebusters also sells a chili fixins that I really like. Just follow the directions on the package. This chili tastes way better the next day too.

Ingredients

9 New Mexico dry chiles - washed, with stems and seeds removed
3 cups water
5 pounds boneless beef chuck roast, trimmed of fat
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon black pepper
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 large yellow onion, chopped
2 cups beef stock or water

Directions

Place chiles and 3 cups water into a medium stockpot, and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and steep for 30 minutes to soften. Strain into a bowl, reserving the cooking liquid. Place the chiles and some of the liquid into a blender, and puree until smooth. Add more liquid as necessary to form a smooth sauce. Pass sauce through a fine mesh strainer to remove any seeds and the tough skins; set aside.
Cut the roast into 1 to 2 inch chunks. In a medium bowl, combine flour, salt, and pepper. Dredge the beef chunks in the seasoned flour; set aside.
Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Saute onion until tender and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add beef chunks a few at a time, so as not to overcrowd the pot, and cook until evenly brown. Remove cooked meat, and continue browning remaining meat. Return reserved cooked meat to the pot. Stir in pureed chile mixture. Add beef stock to just cover beef chunks, or to personal preference. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to lowest setting, and simmer for 3 hours, or until meat is tender. If necessary, adjust with more stock during cooking.

I'd have to add that too. Gotta have cumin!

Jake
01-07-2010, 09:59 PM
:blushing: besides the obvious my chili always goes by my mood, do i want it hot or mild (cause im around wimps) what do i want for beans,hmmm do i want beans lol etc got to agree with cumin too:shrug: mmm i like chili

SmokyOkie
01-07-2010, 11:13 PM
I'm sure that recipe is good, but to me, it lacks tomato and onion as well as cumin and oregano (Mexican)

My only advice is to make your own chili powder and find out which types you like the best.

I am still learning my way around the flavor profiles of chili peppers.

I use a lot of guajillos, anchos, and pasillas. I have been experimenting with negros and mulattos as well and like them a lot.

I just chop them and throw them in the spice mill and use them from there.

You can add a few at a time and just see where the flavor takes you.

If the flavor gets a bit bitter, just add a little sugar at a time.

I don;t have a recipe per se, because I like to create new flavors every time.

Some day, after I have made another 5 or 6 hundred batches, I may decide to try to firm up a recipe. In the mean time, I'm having too much fun exploring.

I do like to have some ground meat in with the cubed myself.

Chargrilled
01-29-2010, 10:06 PM
Ingredients

1 lbs. Ground, Lean Turkey or Chicken
5 Tbsp. Chili Powder
2.5 Tbsp. Ground Cumin
1 Tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
8 oz. Chorizo Sausage
.5 Tsp. Salt
.25 Tsp. Black Pepper
.5 Tsp. Cayenne Pepper
1 Medium to Large Chopped Onion
1 Tbsp. Garlic Powder
1 6 oz. Can Tomato Paste
1 Large Can Diced Tomatoes
1 Large Can Tomato Sauce
1 Can Water (use the tomato sauce can)
1 Can Great Northern Beans (rinsed)
got to come up with yer own rendition from there
that is why we have chili cook offs, LOL
You'll make it happen. Ive got to judge one tomorrow!!!!

Chargrilled
01-29-2010, 10:12 PM
Ingredients

1 lbs. Ground, Lean Turkey or Chicken
5 Tbsp. Chili Powder
2.5 Tbsp. Ground Cumin
1 Tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
8 oz. Chorizo Sausage
.5 Tsp. Salt
.25 Tsp. Black Pepper
.5 Tsp. Cayenne Pepper
1 Medium to Large Chopped Onion
1 Tbsp. Garlic Powder
1 6 oz. Can Tomato Paste
1 Large Can Diced Tomatoes
1 Large Can Tomato Sauce
1 Can Water (use the tomato sauce can)
1 Can Great Northern Beans (rinsed)
got to come up with yer own rendition from there
that is why we have chili cook offs, LOL
You'll make it happen. Ive got to judge one tomorrow!!!!

and lackin onion:shrug:

like BBQ its a region thing,..

we dont eat this chili at the house, I just know it places high thats all.

You want a top 5 chili in a regional cookoff??????????

white chili always makes the top 5, now you go somewhere else for a great recipe for white chilil................I got one. lol:wings:

the_selling_blues_man
01-29-2010, 10:24 PM
You might try this website. Look under "cooks corner"for recipes. There are some great ideas.

www.chilicookoff.com/ (http://www.chilicookoff.com/)

SmokyOkie
01-29-2010, 11:35 PM
Chuck shoulder chili

3 lbs shoulder boneless beef chuck roast (smoked, precooked weight)

If raw chuck is used, cube into 1"-1 1/2" cubes and brown well
3 cups chopped onions
3 chopped bell peppers
1/4 cup peanut oil
1 tablespoon minced garlic
2 minced jalapeno peppers (seeding is optional)
1/4 cup chili powder (we like Williams brand)
1 tablespoon cumin (ground)
1 1/2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tablespoons paprika
1 tablespoon ground oregano
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes

1 (14 ounce) can beef broth
3 tablespoons cider vinegar
16 ounces tomato sauce

Directions
Cut smoked chuck into 1x2-inch cubes or smaller if you like.
In hot Dutch oven with hot peanut oil, sautι onions and garlic until tender.
Add chuck, jalapeρos, chili powder, cumin, cocoa powder, paprika, oregano, and red pepper flakes.
Mix together well and continue to cook until heated well.
Add beef broth, tomato sauce, vinegar and bay leaf.
Bring to boil, then reduce to simmer.
Remove bay leaf after 15 minutes.
Simmer 1-1 1/2 hours stirring often,adding water if necessary.
Add chopped bell pepper and continue simmering until peppers are tender.

brisketcooknfool
01-30-2010, 06:47 PM
Anyone have one they wanna share ?

my fav one ive made up!

2 lb lean beef, cut in small cubes
½ lb good hot Italian Sausage
1 med. Green Bell Pepper, cut in small pices
1 med Onion “ “ “
2 cloves Garlic
½ tea spoon- black pepper
1 Table Spoon chili powder
½ tea spoon cumin
½ tea spoon smoke paprika
Juice from 1 lemon
2 oz Tequila
1 cup of good Salsa( Herdez brand)
1 cup Tomato sauce( If you like thinner, add 2 cups)
1 cup water
2-3 can of pinto beans, do not use kidney beans(unless that is what you like) Joan of Arc brand
Hot sauce to taste
Salt to taste
1 table spoon McCormick's Italian seasoning
Bacon grease
Brown meat in bacon grease, add peppers and onions and garlic, transfer to large pot add all other items. Cook low for 2-4 hours.

SmokyOkie
01-30-2010, 11:20 PM
Just curious, when you think "Chili Powder", what are you talking about.

If I have a recipe that calls for chili Powder, I generally use Williams brand, but then, I have over the last few years been experimenting and learning about all the different types of chili peppers, and grinding and producing my own "powdered chilis".

so far, I haven't settled on any particular specific recipe, but I have learned that I am partial to the following:

Pasilla
Ancho
Guajillo
Mulatto
Negro
San Marcos ( red NM type)

What do you know, and what do you like, whether a brand of prepared chili powder, or you own blend?

the_selling_blues_man
01-31-2010, 09:22 AM
I usually use a store bought chili powder but have recently started buying different specific types of ground peppers and mixing my own.

Just curious, when you think "Chili Powder", what are you talking about.

If I have a recipe that calls for chili Powder, I generally use Williams brand, but then, I have over the last few years been experimenting and learning about all the different types of chili peppers, and grinding and producing my own "powdered chilis".

so far, I haven't settled on any particular specific recipe, but I have learned that I am partial to the following:

Pasilla
Ancho
Guajillo
Mulatto
Negro
San Marcos ( red NM type)

What do you know, and what do you like, whether a brand of prepared chili powder, or you own blend?

Buzzards Roost
01-31-2010, 09:26 AM
This one I do from time to time everyone seems to enjoy it.

NASCAR COOKS! Race Day Recipe Contest
Winner – Week 3
Recipe Submitted by Michelle Cecchini from Ormond Beach, FL

RECIPE: Cecchini Checkered Flag Chili
INGREDIENTS:
• Three (3) pounds ground chuck
• Large onion (softball size) chopped
• Two (2) Green Peppers chopped
• Three (3) medium garlic cloves, diced
• A large bag of prepared, shredded sharp cheddar cheese
• A large container of sour cream
• Two (2) bottles of "Black & Tan" beer
• Two (2) 29-ounce tomato puree
• One (1) Tbsp. black pepper
• One (1) Tbsp. chili powder
• One (1) Tbsp. kosher salt
• One (1) Tbsp. sugar
• One (1) Tbsp. cumin
• One (1) Tbsp. celery salt
• One (1) 19-ounce can dark red kidney beans
• One (1) 19-ounce can red beans
• One (1) 19-ounce can black beans
INSTRUCTIONS:
• Cook hamburger meat until no pink, then add onions, garlic clove and all dry seasonings and simmer for 10 minutes.
• Add 2 bottles of beer and sauce and simmer with the lid on for one hour. The longer the simmer, the better the chili.
• Ladle chili into bowls, top with chopped green pepper, cheese and sour cream.

californiasmokin
01-31-2010, 09:32 AM
These all look great.I would probably slice some Jalapeρos up in mine.Just for a little Zing.

Primo
01-31-2010, 09:36 AM
Good recipes folks !!.They all sound wonderfull .:thumbs up:

Buzzards Roost
01-31-2010, 09:42 AM
My wife says a recipe is just a place to start. The last time we made the checker flag she used 1# of sauage and 2# strip steak chuncked and browned and back off on the beans. Liked it a lot better. Also put 3 japs. in it.

smokinok
01-31-2010, 02:02 PM
My favorite Chili that my wife makes is a Southern Style Chili. It is relative quick and very easy. As follows:

3 lbs chuck, tri-tip, can be ground or diced 1/4" cubes.
1 lb hot breakfast pork sausage
3 chopped med. onions
4 minced garlic cloves
1/4 cup of chili powder (She uses Williams Brand)
2 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon dried oregane
1 teaspoon salt
1 28 oz. diced tomato or whole tomato and hand crush
2 8 oz can tomato sause and 2 8 oz cans of water
3 16 ox cans of beans (She uses dark red kidney) sometimes she mixes

In a Dutch oven, combine meat, sausage, onions and garlic. Cook over med heat until meat is browned, stirring meat to break up. Drain pan drippings. Stir in chili powder, flour, sugar, oregano, salt. Mix well. Cover and simmer for one hour stirring occasionally. Add tomatoes, beans and simmer for 20 min longer.

I have been making modifications by adding a little cumin and because she does not like hot then as I serve I add 1 teaspoon of Chimayo chili pepper or Pasilla pepper or Ancho pepper or a N.M. Hatch pepper. I have been keeping a good assortment of chili peppers on hand to experiment with and I am with SMOKYOKIE that one needs to experiment. I like to add 2 tablespoons of Head Country BBQ sauce and mix in some of the above chili powder to mine. I like HEAT in my CHILI.

SmokyOkie
01-31-2010, 04:30 PM
I( generally make it mild to medium adn supply extra heat on the table for those that want it. That way everybody can have it the way they like it.