01-06-2010, 06:39 AM
Blairs 16 million is the heat i like .1 drop will do ya .:thumbs up:

Joneser
01-06-2010, 09:41 AM
That stuff will wreck you!
Too hot for me. :D

SmokyOkie
01-06-2010, 11:47 AM
I have seen pepper extracts listed as high as 17 million Scoville units. but having worked for a company that manufactures pepper spray, and thus buys pure OC, I would have to challenge the validity of the count.

the stongest available pure OC is only 1.6 million SU. this is a saturate solution. Capsaicing is a dry crystalline powder in pure form. OC is the liquid form. @ 1.6 million SU, it is only 14% capsaicin, which, when you do the math, says that if there were a 100% pure capsaicin liquid ( which there cannot be due to the chemistry of capsaicin) the most it could be would be 11.429 million SU.

All of that is neither here nor there, cuz nobody could stand 1.6 million SU of heat in any kind of quantity.

Here is some interesting reading (http://books.google.com/books?id=HWDg-rPQbqgC&pg=PA228&lpg=PA228&dq=How+many+Scoville+units+is+pure+oleoresin+capsi ***&source=bl&ots=lujhBAnSjE&sig=8qrmaSjRpWt3sQmDOhyuYOP4qog&hl=en&ei=J7tES6SbL9OLlAe_n4WSBw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=4&ved=0CBIQ6AEwAzgK#v=onepage&q=&f=false) which supports my staement.

If the PDF pulls up the wrong page, what I am referring to is on page 228.

Primo
01-06-2010, 04:56 PM
I have seen pepper extracts listed as high as 17 million Scoville units. but having worked for a company that manufactures pepper spray, and thus buys pure OC, I would have to challenge the validity of the count.

the stongest available pure OC is only 1.6 million SU. this is a saturate solution. Capsaicing is a dry crystalline powder in pure form. OC is the liquid form. @ 1.6 million SU, it is only 14% capsaicin, which, when you do the math, says that if there were a 100% pure capsaicin liquid ( which there cannot be due to the chemistry of capsaicin) the most it could be would be 11.429 million SU.

All of that is neither here nor there, cuz nobody could stand 1.6 million SU of heat in any kind of quantity.

Here is some interesting reading (http://books.google.com/books?id=HWDg-rPQbqgC&pg=PA228&lpg=PA228&dq=How+many+Scoville+units+is+pure+oleoresin+capsi ***&source=bl&ots=lujhBAnSjE&sig=8qrmaSjRpWt3sQmDOhyuYOP4qog&hl=en&ei=J7tES6SbL9OLlAe_n4WSBw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=4&ved=0CBIQ6AEwAzgK#v=onepage&q=&f=false) which supports my staement.

If the PDF pulls up the wrong page, what I am referring to is on page 228.

Thanks good read and info

SmokyOkie
01-06-2010, 05:04 PM
I think the bottom line is that there are some things that are not meant to be eaten by humans.:shrug: