PDA

View Full Version : Official TQJ BBQ team

SmokyOkie
03-09-2008, 02:46 PM
The official Q Joint.com BBq team has been formed and will be competing in a KCBS sanctioned event in Stillwater, Ok on April 4 &5, 2008.

The team members are SmokyOkie, BA_LoKo, Pigbutt, and Qpoke. It appears that there are 2 experienced members and 2 pit boy on the team.

The question for you experienced comp cooks is as follow:

There is a side (non KCBS) comp for beans. When I emailed the event coordinator to inquire about rules for the side competition he said most folks will bring soaked beans and then cook them on site. That makes me think that it's a no no to use canned beans. Who has experience in this area and can advise?

I don't have any good dry bean recipes but am working on a modified Boston baked bean recipe as we speak. I understand the purist value of beans from scratch, but golly, canned beans are sooooooooooo much easier, not only that, but I got this killer recipe from a golden retriever named duke:blushing:

Who's got the skinny on competition beans?

glued2it
03-09-2008, 03:13 PM
Yea I heard about that comp. Thought about going to check it out.
Wanted to kinda check out the comp scene.

I don't have any baked bean recipies.
Pulled pork pintos are awsome though!

TX Sandman
03-09-2008, 05:13 PM
Can't help you there, Tim. The comp we're in isn't KCBS, so rules are a bit looser. I need to check on the canned thing, too, for that matter.

peculiarmike
03-10-2008, 09:36 AM
[quote=SmokyOkie;3807]The official Q Joint.com BBq team has been formed and will be competing in a KCBS sanctioned event in Stillwater, Ok on March 4 &5, 2008.

The team members are SmokyOkie, BA_LoKo, Pigbutt, and Qpoke. It appears that there are 2 experienced members and 2 pit boy on the team.

So, how do you get to be a member of the team??? Old fat guys qualify?
:laughing-smiley-014

SmokyOkie
03-10-2008, 10:32 AM
[quote=SmokyOkie;3807]The official Q Joint.com BBq team has been formed and will be competing in a KCBS sanctioned event in Stillwater, Ok on April 4 &5, 2008.

So, how do you get to be a member of the team??? Old fat guys qualify?
:laughing-smiley-014

Apply w/ Fatboy.

:lightbulb: Just had an exceptional Idea. What if we started several chapters and everyone that joined could then compete under TQJ name in comps in their area? Anybody think that would be cool?

PigCicles
03-10-2008, 10:36 AM
That would be neat. I personally don't have a lot of time for that sort of thing ... and to be honest - I don't want to get caught up in competition too much. Maybe once a year or so. I want my Q the way I like it, not the way others think it should be.

My :twocents: (keep the change)

SmokyOkie
03-10-2008, 11:21 AM
I'm with you 100%, but it would give folks an identity if they wanted to check out the scene.

Florida Bill
03-10-2008, 02:12 PM
"The official Q Joint.com BBq team has been formed and will be competing in a KCBS sanctioned event in Stillwater, Ok on April 4 &5, 2008."

So how did you guys do? Sounds like that could be lots of fun! Good luck in your future comps.

glued2it
03-10-2008, 02:21 PM
"The official Q Joint.com BBq team has been formed and will be competing in a KCBS sanctioned event in Stillwater, Ok on April 4 &5, 2008."

So how did you guys do? Sounds like that could be lots of fun! Good luck in your future comps.

I bet they did real good since everyone else is showing up in april!:msn-wink:

http://www.kcbs.us/events.php?year=2008&month=04&id=1200

SmokyOkie
03-10-2008, 02:45 PM

I don't understand the question. Like G2I said, the contest is in April.:wings::oops:

TX Sandman
03-10-2008, 03:26 PM
:lightbulb: Just had an exceptional Idea. What if we started several chapters and everyone that joined could then compete under TQJ name in comps in their area? Anybody think that would be cool?

Sounds cool to me. But, since my group is planning to compete under our own name in September, we'll need to get a Joint banner. It's tough to fly the flag without the flag. Thank goodness it's 6 months away.

ds7662
03-10-2008, 03:54 PM
Sounds Great Tim. Wish I could help you guys. A little to far for me though.

As far as the beans, the only ones I do that have to be soaked are navy beans. Nothing special they are just good, not great or anything.

Florida Bill
03-11-2008, 10:02 AM
Sorry about my question. I read the post as March instead of April. I guess I'll have to get my glasses checked. Good luck in April!

DaHorns
03-12-2008, 08:11 AM
Canned beans in a bbq competition.......I don't even know you guys anymore.......:roflmaoha0:

Dry pintos is the way we go, soak them overnight, then cook them the next morning, nice and slow.

We use, serranos, salt pork, S&P, onion, Budwieser, and cumin.

Look for a recipe for Borracho Beans, I guess it depends on what kind of beans your looking for though. I have never cooked a KCBS cookoff, but in IBCA its dry pintos ONLY.

SmokyOkie
03-12-2008, 09:14 AM
Sorry about my question. I read the post as March instead of April. I guess I'll have to get my glasses checked. Good luck in April!
It did say March. Someone fixed it for me to get back @ you for being a smart a$$ (all in good fun):msn-wink:

I don't mind having my mistakes pointed out. The only problem is that there are way too many of them anymore.

Canned beans in a bbq competition.......I don't even know you guys anymore.......:roflmaoha0:

Dry pintos is the way we go, soak them overnight, then cook them the next morning, nice and slow.

We use, serranos, salt pork, S&P, onion, Budwieser, and cumin.

Look for a recipe for Borracho Beans, I guess it depends on what kind of beans your looking for though. I have never cooked a KCBS cookoff, but in IBCA its dry pintos ONLY.

I have a good Borracho (drunk) beans recipe, but I wasn't wanting to do a Mexican/SW theme pot of beans. As to the canned beans, well, it's gonna be a long night (and day) with a lot of cooking going on, the pay out isn't that big, and I figured we could use all the step savers we could find.

BTW- I prefer serranos over jalapenos as well.

peculiarmike
03-12-2008, 11:04 AM
The comp you entered will have printed specific rules for the individual classes. They will provide those to each entrant. They could be available on the web if they have a site for their comp.
Your advance entry will get you a set of rules by mail. (You are not planning to show up and enter the day of the comp are you? Won't work!)
"It's hard to play the game if you do not know the rules"
Rule #1 of comps - Thoroughly read and know the rules, follow them closely.
You will do TQJ proud. :thumbs up:

SmokyOkie
03-12-2008, 03:59 PM
I've been in touch with the ***'t director. It seems that the side contests aren't all that well organized. I've printed off all they have to print on the website

glued2it
03-28-2008, 03:53 PM
It seems the powers that be finally decided if they stand a fighting chance of winning anything, They needed me to step in and show them how it's done.

Just kidding. :msn-wink:
Seems the team could use a extra set of hands to help with the comp. I'm honored to be of help and Thanks for the invite to the team.
This will be my first comp and I think it will be great experience to take BBQ to a Whole new level for all of us.
We love what we do and take great pride in it as well.
If the judges don't pick our "Q" then they don't know what good "Q" is and the Lynch mob will be waiting to strike at our signal.!bt

I'll be easy to spot there. I'll be the one with the beer belly!:roflmaoha0:

BA_LoKo
03-28-2008, 05:33 PM
Welcome aboard, Jeremy. I have no doubt you'll be a fine addition to the team. As the new guy, you do realize you're buying the beer........right? :tap:

:roflmaoha0:

glued2it
03-28-2008, 05:50 PM
Welcome aboard, Jeremy. I have no doubt you'll be a fine addition to the team. As the new guy, you do realize you're buying the beer........right? :tap:

If I'm buying beer then we are going to be quite the sober group!:monkey:

Look forward to seen' ya bright and early!

Wait a miniute....... Bright and early doesn't go over well with us alch's.
I'll see ya when I sober up!

BA_LoKo
03-28-2008, 07:02 PM
For the competition weekend, I plan on having sandwich makings in the RV. Chip, dip, etc. Pop and beer, too. We've got to eat somethin'!

Does any of the team have any preferences for cold cuts?

glued2it
03-28-2008, 11:17 PM

cold cuts?:smack::misbehaving::tap:

SmokyOkie
03-30-2008, 10:55 AM
It seems the powers that be finally decided if they stand a fighting chance of winning anything, They needed me to step in and show them how it's done.

Just kidding. :msn-wink:
Seems the team could use a extra set of hands to help with the comp. I'm honored to be of help and Thanks for the invite to the team.
This will be my first comp and I think it will be great experience to take BBQ to a Whole new level for all of us.
We love what we do and take great pride in it as well.
If the judges don't pick our "Q" then they don't know what good "Q" is and the Lynch mob will be waiting to strike at our signal.!bt

I'll be easy to spot there. I'll be the one with the beer belly!:roflmaoha0:

I think that if you look here Jeremy:http://www.theqjoint.com/forum/showthread.php?t=438&highlight=blazathon

You'll find that you were invited from the git go. You just didn't repond.

For the competition weekend, I plan on having sandwich makings in the RV. Chip, dip, etc. Pop and beer, too. We've got to eat somethin'!

Kev.....think...we'll have fire...we'll have smoke...why would we need cold cuts, or for that matter bread. I do think you prolly need to bring some soda to keep Jeremy off the silver canned pop if you know what I mean.:msn-wink:

glued2it
03-30-2008, 11:23 AM
I think that if you look here Jeremy:http://www.theqjoint.com/forum/showthread.php?t=438&highlight=blazathon

You'll find that you were invited from the git go. You just didn't repond.

Kev.....think...we'll have fire...we'll have smoke...why would we need cold cuts, or for that matter bread. I do think you prolly need to bring some soda to keep Jeremy off the silver canned pop if you know what I mean.:msn-wink:

I responded in post #3
The silver canned pop is the best!:thumbs up:

glued2it
03-31-2008, 12:36 PM
Disclaimer
The names of the members have not been changed.
However the faces have been hidden to prevent cracking of computer monitors.
No animals were harmed during this event.
They were all butchered and slaughtered before hand!

This picture was captured of the official Q Joint BBQ team in action.
Seems that they are preparing for some sort of event. Sources had yet to reveal where the bum came from or why he drank all the beer.

Photographer-Kyle

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh316/tqjpics/TheQJointteam.jpg

peculiarmike
03-31-2008, 04:01 PM
Worst effect of that 3.2 Okie Silver Can Pop is a lot of time spent behind Lucille.
And don't whiz on the stack of hickory. :roflmaoha0:

glued2it
04-01-2008, 01:14 PM
Worst effect of that 3.2 Okie Silver Can Pop is a lot of time spent behind Lucille.
And don't whiz on the stack of hickory. :roflmaoha0:

That's for sure!!!!:monkey:

TX Sandman
04-03-2008, 10:20 PM
God luck at the comp, y'all! And watch out for that 3.2 pop! I don't think you'll find a tree too close to the comp site.

But if you find someone else's hickory stack ... :saythat:

PigCicles
04-05-2008, 09:19 PM
Okay - What's the word from the Okie crowd? No pics, no calls, didn't even see a smoke signal all day - they must've been putting up those invisible thin blue smoke signals.

You'd think that somewhere down there, there would be some kind of wi-fi signal for a techie geek type to latch onto... :tap:

Short One
04-05-2008, 09:23 PM
:whathesaid:

PigCicles
04-05-2008, 09:51 PM
I bet all the batteries went dead at the same time Who knows :shrug:

Bbq Bubba
04-05-2008, 09:54 PM
C'mon guys, don't leave us hangin here!! :shrug:

PigCicles
04-05-2008, 10:17 PM
C'mon guys, don't leave us hangin here!! :shrug:

What is it you always say Bubba? ... No pix - it didn't happen

It's a good thing Mike wasn't going that way or I'd of thought the place was closed :wow:

Sorry Mike I couldn't resist that one!

glued2it
04-06-2008, 07:24 AM
Okay - What's the word from the Okie crowd? No pics, no calls, didn't even see a smoke signal all day - they must've been putting up those invisible thin blue smoke signals.

You'd think that somewhere down there, there would be some kind of wi-fi signal for a techie geek type to latch onto... :tap:

Sunday moring and things are quite around here.
All the other alchies are nestled tightly int there beds sleeping off the silver canned pop.

We didn't manage to get allot of pics but we have some.
Details of the comp will be follwed up upon soberness and the great return home.

Yes I did find a Wifi. as I sit here with the latop on the ice chest, I begin wonder if it's I should switch my coffee for a beer.
It's noon somewhere right?
Ok maybe not the best idea.

Pork N Stein
04-06-2008, 10:48 AM
Aww man, ya mean the Noon guideline applies on the weekends too????

TX Sandman
04-06-2008, 11:21 AM
Aww man, ya mean the Noon guideline applies on the weekends too????

Only if you sleep the night before. :roflmaoha0:

PigCicles
04-06-2008, 12:08 PM
Nobody wants to comment on how it went? What was learned (other than silver pops make your head hurt)? No stories of Massive win or great defeat? Not even a single picture to hold us off????

Where's Fatboy? I think we need a new team! Or a press agent!

Bbq Bubba
04-06-2008, 12:38 PM
Final turn in at 1:30, it's 24 hrs later and nothing???
dang rookies.......:msn-wink:

PigCicles
04-06-2008, 01:49 PM
Final turn in at 1:30, it's 24 hrs later and nothing???
dang rookies.......:msn-wink:

I guess they got D Q'd :roflmaoha0: :roflmaoha0: :roflmaoha0: :misbehaving: :roflmaoha0: :roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0:

Get it D Q'd :monkey::roflmaoha0:

BlazerQue
04-06-2008, 02:32 PM
I guess they got D Q'd :roflmaoha0: :roflmaoha0: :roflmaoha0: :misbehaving: :roflmaoha0: :roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0:

Get it D Q'd :monkey::roflmaoha0:

:stir:

TX Sandman
04-06-2008, 08:10 PM
we ended up 44 out of 49 as I recall.

At least it wasn't DAL. :msn-wink:

Congrats on making it through. Rest up. We'll still be here tomorrow for the whole sordid story.

smokebuzz
04-06-2008, 08:11 PM
Hang with it man, the first IS the worst, although i have only done 1 KCBS event, i have done many "Local" events where they tried to run it like a KCBS event. some where bad some where great and have even won a few. In the end, or a couple weeks later , I had fun, and will continue to do it. I know this won't be your last comp, go get'm!

PigCicles
04-06-2008, 08:18 PM
Keep your chins up and nose forward. Can't let one bad event create the mindset of all comps. Rest, recoup, and rethink - then its off to the next one.

You weren't first - but weren't worst either.:woohoo:

Go Team Q Joint :cheer:

BlazerQue
04-06-2008, 08:27 PM
I haven't done the competition thing and don't care to except for simple informal fun among friends. It just seems like it is a lot of work that can ruin a good hobby and form of relaxation, but I completely respect those that do compete.

As for future comps, take this one as a learning experience and give it a few more goes to be satisfied in your own efforts.

BA_LoKo
04-06-2008, 08:28 PM
Well, it was an interesting weekend. As many of you know, it's a lot of work! I could not have asked to be on a better team. Everyone was great. We learned, after the fact, that these judges didn't care for their food entries unless it had BBQ sauce on it. Not a one of us are used to cooking that way, didn't expect it, and (I personally) won't subscribe to it. I prefer to enjoy the flavor of meat. To me, if it's masked in sauce, it means the meat wasn't cooked right, or an individual prefers the taste of sauce with some sort of "mass" to it.

Overall, it was a great learning experience and a lot of fun. However, if you asked me at this moment, "will you do it again". I'd have to say NO!! NEVER AGAIN!!!

BlazerQue
04-06-2008, 08:32 PM
Well, it was an interesting weekend. As many of you know, it's a lot of work! I could not have asked to be on a better team. Everyone was great. We learned, after the fact, that these judges didn't care for their food entries unless it had BBQ sauce on it. Not a one of us are used to cooking that way, didn't expect it, and (I personally) won't subscribe to it. I prefer to enjoy the flavor of meat. To me, if it's masked in sauce, it means the meat wasn't cooked right, or an individual prefers the taste of sauce with some sort of "mass" to it.

Overall, it was a great learning experience and a lot of fun. However, if you asked me at this moment, "will you do it again". I'd have to say NO!! NEVER AGAIN!!!

Excellent points. One of my good buddies is always amazed that I like to cook "dry" and have my sauce on the side rather than basting while cooking. That's one of the issues that I see with the comp scene. I understand that there must be rules, but I also see where those very same rules can stifle creativity.

TX Sandman
04-06-2008, 08:56 PM
That's one of the issues that I see with the comp scene. I understand that there must be rules, but I also see where those very same rules can stifle creativity.

There's a lot of competitors who say they don't cook at home like they do for a comp. Couldn't tell you if it's for taste or effort, but that's been said.

glued2it
04-06-2008, 09:10 PM
There's a lot of competitors who say they don't cook at home like they do for a comp. Couldn't tell you if it's for taste or effort, but that's been said.

We had some other teams mention that.

I for one am extremely tired and don't have the energy to go into details.

I had an awsome time and met allot of great people. I didn't expect anything out of this comp. I would have been greatly surprised if we would have placed in anything.

I don't feel bad one bit! Some things could have been smoother but what can you expect.

I can't wait to do the next one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It was a great experience and once again I had a great time and consumed mass quantities of beer and BBQ.

Can you really ask for anything more?:msn-wink:

Pork N Stein
04-06-2008, 09:22 PM
Hmmm, sleep deprivation, lots of beer, lots of BBQ...sounds like a pretty good weekend! Sounds like there was a lot more going on as well though. Sounds like a KCBS comp might have provided a different experience?

The comments made about a competition turning a fun relaxing hobby into a job (with all the related stress) could certainly have an impact on my outlook on cooking though. I really enjoy the look on the faces of the people (only friends and family so far) I serve my Q to, and seeing the smile after the first bite, then of course getting to eat it myself too, are the cherry on top of the experience in my book. Plus hearing that a lot of comp teams inject with MSG and other chemicals to artificially improve the look and taste of their turn-ins make the comment about them cooking differently at home make a lot of sense too. Or are those kinds of things only happening at the big comps?

SmokyOkie
04-07-2008, 10:55 AM
Hmmm, sleep deprivation, lots of beer, lots of BBQ...sounds like a pretty good weekend! Sounds like there was a lot more going on as well though. Sounds like a KCBS comp might have provided a different experience?

The comments made about a competition turning a fun relaxing hobby into a job (with all the related stress) could certainly have an impact on my outlook on cooking though. I really enjoy the look on the faces of the people (only friends and family so far) I serve my Q to, and seeing the smile after the first bite, then of course getting to eat it myself too, are the cherry on top of the experience in my book. Plus hearing that a lot of comp teams inject with MSG and other chemicals to artificially improve the look and taste of their turn-ins make the comment about them cooking differently at home make a lot of sense too. Or are those kinds of things only happening at the big comps?

This was a KCBS event, there were teams from 5 states there.

I decided to take this on only because I had never done one and thought that I should at least try one in order to be able to talk about them.

It wasn't really very much different than I imagined, and Ias I continue to digest everything, I continue to be more positive that its not my idea of fun. I would prefer to just go and hang out or maybe even help out on someone else's team (provided slep dep. isn't involved).

I did learn a few small things that would've changed our showing greatly, but that's all water ubder the bridge as is the Blazathon contest.

Jeff Hughes
04-05-2009, 10:50 PM

Very few comp cooks cook at home exactly like they do at contests. It is a taste and effort thing.

As far as effort goes we'll use chicken as an example. I trim my thighs in a way that no one would do at home. It takes almost an hour for 12 pieces. It's also sort of nasty. Some guys go as far as to completely remove the skin and shave the fat off of the back side. Then comes brining or injecting. Then comes seasoning in a way that you would never consider at home. And then there is a three stage cooking process to achieve fat rendering and bite through skin.

The taste thing is something you have to get used to. At a comp you are cooking for the judges. I foil at comps, but usually not at home. I sauce all meats at comps, but not at home, I inject at comps, but not at home. I do things differently with spices and rubs as well. I am learning that the cooks that win week in and week out pay attention to details that I didn't even know existed.

A note on saucing. Sauce is normally not applied until the end of the cooking process. It's an extra layer of flavor, it's not meant to hide the flavor of the meat, but to complement it. It also helps to keep your meat moist. Remember that the judges don't taste your food until about 20 minutes after you turn it in. That no sauce brisket or pork is not going to be moist and pretty by that time. Remember that on your practice cooks. Put that food in a box, then taste it 20 minutes later.

I find competing fun, but it's not for everybody...

Oh, catering's different from cooking at home too, but that's a different thread...

SmokyOkie
04-06-2009, 10:16 AM
Thanx for the input Jeff!