PDA

View Full Version : High altitude cooking

Sherm
12-31-2009, 10:41 PM
We often use our DOs at 7-8000 feet and, naturally, everything takes longer to cook. I know that food won't get as hot since water boils at a lower temp. I'm curious if the charcoal itself burns at a lower temp since there is less oxygen to feed the fire? Anyone know?

Joneser
01-01-2010, 01:56 PM
I would think that with less oxygen, the fire would burn slower. Of course I'm just using logic, we all know science usually trumps common logic.

PigCicles
01-01-2010, 02:04 PM
It would stand to reason that with less oxygen and longer cooks that the coals themselves are burning at a lower temperature. Kind of a difference between cooking outside over a bed of coals or in an oxygen fed blast furnace only not such a wild difference.

Interesting topic Sherm. Do you have information on this or were you just pondering?

Sherm
01-01-2010, 02:15 PM
No information. We spend a lot of time in Yellowstone. We are 3 hours or less from 3 different entrances and four from a fourth. I thought about it last year while camping at Canyon and again this year at Madison Junction. It just seems to require more charcoal to get the temps up. Then again, I could just be more impatient.:tap:

Buzzards Roost
01-01-2010, 02:58 PM
never be to high altitudes so I can't help you their. Sorry:blushing:

Siesta Man
01-03-2010, 01:38 PM
If you take a ride to the top of Pikes Peak and watch them cook their doughnuts you will see that they drop the dough into the fryer, then slap a lid ( pressure cooker ) on it and they fry beautifully. Maybe barometric pressure has something to do with it also:shrug::shrug:. They taste real good.:thumbs up:
E.T.