PDA

View Full Version : Canned Elk

Bassman
12-27-2009, 08:16 PM
Did 7 more quarts of canned elk with garlic. Sure is some good stuff. Had enough elk left to make 25# of hot Polish sausage (bulk). Didn't get any pics except the canned stuff.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v682/KeithLeiter/100_1313.jpg

californiasmokin
12-27-2009, 08:29 PM
That's a few good meals right there.:thumbs up:

PigCicles
12-27-2009, 08:36 PM
:whathesaid: Can't wait to see some of that comin out for some of those meals.

I'd really like to try some.

Vermin99
12-27-2009, 08:53 PM
:whathesaid:

erain
12-27-2009, 09:04 PM
that is some great stuff. never did any elk though, just deer... looks good Kieth!!! it makes for some quick meals in hurry day!:thumbs up:

tigman
12-27-2009, 10:41 PM
directions for canning??? i just had 6 deer from kansas boys delivered...can i can that??

Bassman
12-28-2009, 10:07 AM
directions for canning??? i just had 6 deer from kansas boys delivered...can i can that??

Canning meat is quite simple as long as you have a pressure canner/cooker.

Sterilize the jars and lids. Cut meat into approximately 1 1/2"X1 1/2" cubes and pack into jars. Add one teaspoon canning salt per jar. I make up 4 cups of beef boullion ahead of time and add enough to each jar to come within 1 inch of the top. I gently run a butter knife down the inside of the jar to release trapped air. You can add jalapenos, garlic or whatever else sounds good in with the meat. Process quarts jars for 90 minutes at 15 pounds pressure. Let the cooker de-pressurize on it's own (usually about an hour). Remove jars and let cool. You'll hear them pop as they seal. It is important not to relieve the pressure by running cold water over the lid as it sucks a lot of the juice out of the jar and sometimes prevents the jar from sealing. Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions.

cowgirl
12-28-2009, 12:23 PM
Keith that looks so tasty!! I've been eating my canned venison lately.. sure warms me up. Nice looking elk! :thumbs up:

Bassman
12-28-2009, 07:58 PM
Thanks Jeanie! I'm about ready for some homemade noodles with canned elk gravy.:drooling: At least I think that's what you would call it if I just thicken the juice from the jar.:shrug:

cowgirl
12-28-2009, 09:20 PM
Thanks Jeanie! I'm about ready for some homemade noodles with canned elk gravy.:drooling: At least I think that's what you would call it if I just thicken the juice from the jar.:shrug:

Keith that sounds great! Some fresh made noodles would be good about now. :thumbs up: I thickened the juice in a can of venison the other day and ate it over smooshed smoked tatoes... It was good and filling.
I bet your elk and noodles will be wonderful! :cool: