PDA

View Full Version : Need cooking suggestion(s)

John DOH
03-08-2008, 05:54 PM
I have a rolled pork shoulder picnic roast (boneless) on hand for dinner tomorrow night.

Other key ingredients on hand are a piece of pork rind (skin and fat), 2 or 3 types of mustard, fresh garlic, full suite of veggies, Head Country rub, Chef Paul's seasonong and so on. Also numerous salad dressings! (Handy as a marinade)

Its dumping snow like crazy (we are due to have 20" by tomorrow afternoon), so the grill is out of the question, this will have to be done in the oven.

Am looking at oven roast potato's to accompany, peas and carrots are a "lock"...

Any thoughts guys and gals?

John

Short One
03-08-2008, 08:26 PM
John, if I were doing the pork roast, I believe I would marinade and season to taste and place in a 250 to 275 oven early in the morning and slow cook to 185 degrees to slice. Pull from oven and rest and cool for an hr. or so. Then slice and enjoy.

John DOH
03-08-2008, 08:43 PM
Just to check, I'm talking a 3 lb "roast"!

I can understand the cooking temperature, that its going to be "low + slow", but I wonder at cooking to that high an internal temperature (it would get right "dry"!) and I was hoping for a "gravy"

Any thoughts on the "marinade" would be appreciated, too!

You'll understand that I'm a simple "canucklehed", and hardly skilled with southern USA cooking techniques, but anxious to give them a try...I know that asking to "oven cook" is a bit restrictive, but "trust me" I can see 12" of snow on top of my gas grill as I type, and it'll only be worse by morning...

John

TX Sandman
03-08-2008, 10:44 PM
John, if it's a boneless picnic roast, it should have plenty of internal fat to keep it moist. Plus, that temp should let the interior collegens break down and help moisten the roast, too. Now, if it were a pork loin roast, that'd be a different story. Ffor picnics, 185 or so is great for slicing, while for pulled pork, where the pork separates into individual fibers, usually occurs about 195 or so.

As for the marinade, your salad dressings should work. It'll take a while to work into the center of the roast, though, so you might want to start now for marinating overnight. You could also butterfly the roast for more surface area and it'll marinate quicker.

Another trick you could try is, after marinating, slice small slits in the roast and stuff with garlic. The garlic will infuse the roast as it cooks. Awesome flavor if you like garlic.

Hope these help with a few ideas. Please let us know how it turns out.

BA_LoKo
03-08-2008, 11:17 PM
Excellent advice, Rob. Who doesn't like garlic? :smack: :thumbs up:

John DOH
03-09-2008, 12:53 AM
HMMM-good news I guess!

Acting on "instinct" I put it in a platic bag with 2-3 oz of Raspberry vinagrette, 3-4 oz of Italian salad dressing,, 2 oz of lemon juice, and 2 oz (each) of French's Deli Mustard and a like amount of Bullseye Steakhouse BBQ sauce, all "massaged" together and air expelled in the fridge for the night.

Yes, and I love the idea of "stabbing" the "work" and inserting bits of fat and garlic chips (we call these "lardoons" in Canada) as a means of cranking up the "flavours":thumbs up:

May try dressing with some soya sauce as well, in the morning, when I re-check this thread, but otherwise giving it the "Head Country" rubbing

"Supper" will be served between 1930 and 2030 hrs local due to DW's work schedule; I will look really hard at a final internal temp for it...I'd normally want to convect to 165* so it was a bit "juicy" with oven cooking, but will consider what you say, as the added fats should take me past some of the issues...

I appreciate the thoughts and ideas that go towards "stretching my personal envelope" of cooking!

Best Regards!

John

John DOH
03-09-2008, 11:37 PM
Good responses, all, I did (more or less as instructed) with the marinade, and cooked it in a slightly warmer (285*?) oven, until it was 165* internal, where I dropped the oven to 250*, and cooked to an internal temp of 175*, reasoning that it would convect to 185* on its own (it did)

The results weren't bad...I kind of like my meat a bit more "wet" than this; the fat/rind trip was blackened and very crisp but enjoyable, but the extra fat provided that the drippings were plentiful and the gravy was excellent; the "pairing" with oven roast potato was pefect for us, as were the steamed beas and carrots with Chef Paul's seasoning.

Expect that this will pass the "sandwich test" with flying colours tomorrow , but this is something that I would definitely prefer to do on the grill, as opposed the oven.

But I thank eve4ryone for getting me to "push the envelope" this little bit, and find out that cooking that extra 20 odd degrees is not "damnation" and the meat is entirely edible!

I'm note sure I'd have gotten there on my own!

John

TX Sandman
03-10-2008, 12:18 AM
Glad it worked out for you, John! If you get a chance to try it on the grill, it'll be even better!

Just remember, this picnic worked out because of the internal fat. A loin roast would have been toast at that temp. Next time, try 175-180 and see how that works out for you. The key is to get it past the plateau at about 160.

Please let us know about the sandwiches tomorrow.

SmokyOkie
03-10-2008, 11:15 AM
Sorry I missed the action there John. I was busy burning ice storm tree branches.

IMHO, an oven pork roast is always best w/ a savory herb, salt, pepper and garlic rub. (maybe marjoram, definitely sage, rosemary, thyme).

The picnic isn't near as fatty as it's counterpart, the butt and I like to cook them (loin as well) to 145, rest 30 minutes and slice1/4 to 3/8 thick. Drippings make a good pan sauce if you caramelize a little sugar and add some apple or pear slices.

It's not Q, but I love just about any pork.

We need to motivate you to get yourself a smoker.:cheer::cheer::cheer:

John DOH
03-10-2008, 06:32 PM
Actually, Tim, you played a larger role in that roast, as I'm still working off that pint of Head Country Rub you sent up! Gotta love that stuff on pork!

The "Project 2008" is a new gas grill:drooling: and as you know you can do a "modified sort of smoke" on these, if you don't mind the cleanup (and this is why God gave us Shop Vac's!)

Living 1200 miles from our nearest relations, its hard to justify the expense of a big *** smoker for four eaters...

John

SmokyOkie
03-10-2008, 07:17 PM
WSM.

That's all I've got to say.

You have too much Q talent to not explore the world of slow smoking.

Make the leap. If you can't find the charcoal and smoking wood, we'll see to it that you get it.

Being a Canuck is no longer an excuse.:tap::msn-wink::thumbs up: