PDA

View Full Version : Building a stickburner?

Butt Lover's
12-22-2009, 05:09 PM
I have two inmates working for me who are very good welders and will be here with me for a few months. I also have in my possession 7 feet of 26" pipe.

I am thinking we need to build a Horizon clone.

Any suggestions/ideas would be helpful!

PigCicles
12-22-2009, 09:25 PM
Will be a great project. Measure twice - cut once. No real suggestions other than bring us pics and document it all the way thru for yourself and everyone else too.

Can't wait to see it come together.

SmokyOkie
12-22-2009, 09:58 PM
Go measure the cooker you want to clone and build a copy.

jerry516planes
12-24-2009, 02:13 PM
That will be a very nice size cooker! Horizon pits are great!

My next cooker will made out of a 30" x 6 foot piece of pipe that I have!

Now Lessons I learned on my last one and will do differently on the next one:

1. I will use 2" tubing to build the fire box and insulate it.

2. I will make one door and counterwieght it. I made two doors and that complecated the shelves and is a big disadvantage.

3. I will make the shelves full extension so I can pull then out turn and look the meat over as I cook.

4. The bottom of the door wil be below the centerline of the cooking chamber and not extend so far up.

5. I will position the bottom and middle shelves so that they can be the same size and I will add slides in between on two inch centers so that I have some ability to vary the distance between the shelves.

6. I will also have some extra shelves so I can add shelves for increased capacity for ribs.

7. I will also not make the bottom of the trailer out of expanded metal. I will use diamond plate or similar.

8. I will also add some storage and take advantrage of many of the Ideas utilized in the Geer Pit.

9. I will also make it a reverse flow.

Things that I did right:

1. I like the 6" smoke stake and how I positioned the bottom of the stack below the centerline or at least below the bottom shelf

2. I like how I placed part of the Fire box inside the cooking chamber!

3. I like how I placed the a water pan over the fire box as a heat sink and a great place for steaming and adding moisture.

4. I like the small shelf along the top, that Tim talked me into, for setting glazes and by the way is just enough hotter to cook chicken at 325 while cooking brisket and pork butts at 225-250.

5. I like the external drain and external water fill.

6. I really like how i placed a false bottom in the pipe to insure a gravity grease drain away from the fire box. This is of course a mute point if I build it as reverse flow.

7. I really like how I stratified my cooker so that I have a variety of cooking zones for different items. I do have a hot spot that I use and veiw as an advantage!!

This is what I learned on my last build. I hope this is of some help!

Please post pictures as you go like I did. A great pit is in the details! I am really looking forward to seeing your creation.

I have several links to supplyers of hinges etc. I would be glad to share.

Joneser
12-24-2009, 04:16 PM
Good Luck with that, Mike.
Make sure they don't steal it after building it. :D

jerry516planes
02-21-2010, 06:05 PM
Have you gotten to this project? If so what is the Status?

Butt Lover's
11-02-2010, 04:43 PM
Jerry - still building a reverse flow? Now I am thinking about reverse flow! I don't know??? I can't make up my mind...

jerry516planes
11-03-2010, 12:14 AM
Jerry - still building a reverse flow? Now I am thinking about reverse flow! I don't know??? I can't make up my mind...

Yes I am building a reverse flow. They are easier to tune and have uniform Temp through out. I am also building a xouple of cabinette smokers as well. Never have enough toys.

Joneser
11-03-2010, 08:04 AM
I know a guy in Michigan who built a double reverse flow and he love the way it performs....

Butt Lover's
11-03-2010, 12:31 PM
I think I will build a reverse flow also, I just got a 250 gal tank so why not?

jerry516planes
11-03-2010, 12:36 PM
I know a guy in Michigan who built a double reverse flow and he love the way it performs....

Yes I know that guy! I have cooked beside him and it is impressive!!!

SmokyOkie
11-03-2010, 01:41 PM
Got any pix?

jerry516planes
11-03-2010, 05:41 PM
Got any pix?

No I do not. I did contact Shane and he said that he would post some pictures here in the near future.

SmokyOkie
11-03-2010, 09:04 PM
Seems like I may have seen pix of such a machine before.

shaneholz
11-04-2010, 04:15 AM
I'll put on a couple pics of what we built. If you would like more information let me know. You can't really see how it works from the pics but it is a dream to cook on. Holds temp very good.

http://i945.photobucket.com/albums/ad295/shaneholz/smoker%20build/a.jpg

http://i945.photobucket.com/albums/ad295/shaneholz/smoker%20build/ShaensCooker007.jpg

http://i945.photobucket.com/albums/ad295/shaneholz/5.jpg

http://i945.photobucket.com/albums/ad295/shaneholz/smoker%20build/newconcept.jpg

http://i945.photobucket.com/albums/ad295/shaneholz/smoker%20build/load.jpg

Hope you enjoy

Shane

Joneser
11-04-2010, 06:37 AM
Thanks for posting the pix, Shane. That is one cool smoker!

Butt Lover's
11-04-2010, 08:15 AM
Very nice Shane :)

SmokyOkie
11-04-2010, 10:36 AM
Looks like quite a good design. Looks like it would pretty well do away with the firebox side hot spot that so many reverse flow smokers have.

You should patent it.

shaneholz
11-04-2010, 02:06 PM
No hot spot, even all the way across. When on a long cook and not opening it up it will run within a couple degrees along the main grate and 25 degrees different in the vertical box. Works better than expected, wait I did expect that! lol

michiana mark
11-04-2010, 09:52 PM
I too have seen this smoker in action. IMPRESSIVE. But Shane, are those temp gauges broken, or do they always read the same?:thumbs up:

shaneholz
11-06-2010, 04:39 AM
Mark we will see, true test next weekend. I have a 125 person party up In Bad Axe. All that steel will be good and cold. I've cooked on her before when we first built it at 32 degrees and it took some time. I've since cooked on it alot more so I don't think it will be a issue but I'll let you know. Also pics to come with all that meat. 60 lbs pork,60 lbs Brisket, 12 slabs of ribs. So what are you cooking on now Mark?

michiana mark
11-07-2010, 10:07 PM
Mark we will see, true test next weekend. I have a 125 person party up In Bad Axe. All that steel will be good and cold. I've cooked on her before when we first built it at 32 degrees and it took some time. I've since cooked on it alot more so I don't think it will be a issue but I'll let you know. Also pics to come with all that meat. 60 lbs pork,60 lbs Brisket, 12 slabs of ribs. So what are you cooking on now Mark?

Right now, I'm mulling that over. Hope your cook went well.

shaneholz
02-08-2011, 06:37 AM
Right now, I'm mulling that over. Hope your cook went well.

Yeah that cook went great and since have done several more in this very cold weather. I have a baby shower to cook for this weekend. So did you buy anything to cook on yet? I see Jerry did some pretty nice looking ribs last weekend. It must be the time of year. I have the BBQ bug bad. I'm ready to get rid of this snow and get back into it. We have the cooker in the garage now thawing out. Adding more racks and a grease containment system, more storage, a better stereo, new water heater, the list goes on...........it's a obsession

Tuck
02-08-2011, 12:21 PM
Yeah that cook went great and since have done several more in this very cold weather. I have a baby shower to cook for this weekend. So did you buy anything to cook on yet? I see Jerry did some pretty nice looking ribs last weekend. It must be the time of year. I have the BBQ bug bad. I'm ready to get rid of this snow and get back into it. We have the cooker in the garage now thawing out. Adding more racks and a grease containment system, more storage, a better stereo, new water heater, the list goes on...........it's a obsession

Shane

I am in a new pit project and would like some more pic's and dimensions of your "s" flow pit I am very interested and would be very grateful for the info . What size tank did you use etc .
Thanks

Tuck
:sifone:

shaneholz
02-08-2011, 12:35 PM
The tank is a 120 gallon and the vertical box is 20x20x48 I think, maybe taller. the fire box is a 24x24. dual 4" stacks

The plates are layed out pretty much like the picture, well maybe a little different.............lol