PDA

View Full Version : Two butts

Short One
03-07-2008, 07:44 PM
In honor of mom, 76 today, and dad,80 yesterday, we are having a get together Sunday afternoon and evening. Myself and 2 of my brothers are smoking 2 butts each to serve for supper. Put mine on at 6 and will smoke until ready to wrap and then move them to the oven to finish after wrapping. I am looking forward to seeing and tasting the difference in the butts. Mine will be smoked with cherry, one will smoke with hickory, and one with an apple mix I believe. Smokinmeat has requested that I bring a finishing sauce from another forum, so I guess I will have to get some made a little later to keep him happy.

glued2it
03-07-2008, 07:51 PM
Sounds good to me! If you post Sa....... I mean that other forums sauce recipie here. Then it won't be from another forum.:msn-wink:

I have some more finishing sauce recipies somewhere.I'll have to find them.

Short One
03-07-2008, 08:05 PM
Glued, don't want to steal anyone's glory for the sauce, but it is good on pulled pork.

glued2it
03-07-2008, 08:14 PM
Open information is exactly that. I pulled a couple of recipies for finishing sauce out of my recipie folder that have been aquired from open information sources. Maybe some folks will like them.

I admire your ethics though:thumbs up:

I expect to see some pics!

Short One
03-07-2008, 08:29 PM
Will try to remember to snap a couple when I wrap if I don't forget.

peculiarmike
03-08-2008, 07:57 AM
Would that be a finishing sauce you have been known to eat on hamburgers? Comes from a "warmer clime"???
I wouldn't be a bit bashful about posting it. It's already out there for the world to see. Fair game, as it were.
I made a batch this past week. Gotta get some burgers on. :msn-wink:

Short One
03-08-2008, 08:01 PM
Here's a few shots of the butts I cooked last night.
1-2-3-are at wrapping
4-finished, super tender

glued2it
03-08-2008, 08:03 PM
Nice looking butt ya go there! :wow:

Short One
03-08-2008, 08:11 PM
Thanks Glued, it was one of those seat of the pants cooks. Got a late start didn't get them on til 6 p.m. Smoked them for 5 hrs., wrapped and in the oven at 11 p.m. and Rhonda shu off oven at 6 a.m. Didn't stick a thermometer in them until around 7 this morning when I pulled them out of the oven to rest and they were both 200 degrees or a little hotter Pull a little of one to get last pick and the are super tender. Guess everyone gets lucky once in a while.

Bassman
03-08-2008, 10:08 PM
That looks great! I'm about due for another round of pulled pork :drooling:. Keith

TX Sandman
03-08-2008, 10:47 PM
Woo-hoo! Way to go!

JamesB
03-09-2008, 03:49 AM
Looks like good eats to me! Wish Ma n Pa a happy one from the Q Joint will ya?

James.

Short One
03-09-2008, 09:31 AM
Smokinmeat just left here with the food, 2 pulled butts, a gallon of modified Dutch's baked beans, 2 relish trays, and some finishing sauce. Hope there is something left for the supper tonight, he looked hungry when he left.

The reason Meat took our food is we have to run to the city and pick up the fixins for Tuesday's cook for work.

I see I'm "allowed to bring wood to the pit" be glad when someone takes the time to start showing me how to do "Q". My backs starting to get tired with all the cutting and splitting the wood.