PDA

View Full Version : Grill distance from coals

Raklet
12-17-2009, 11:39 AM
What is the best distance to place the grill from the coals for direct grilling? I want to build an attachment for my UDS that will allow me to grill steaks and such, but I'm not sure how far below the grill grate to place the coal pan I am going to build.

Thanks

SmokyOkie
12-17-2009, 12:09 PM
Variable distance is best. I like to get a good quick sear and then increase the distance between the fire and the meat so that the steak can rest as it finishes cooking.

Also, there are a lot of things that do better with super intense heat (close) and just as many others that like slow direct heat.

BluDawg
12-17-2009, 12:39 PM
IF it were me i think it would be less expensive to just buy a Smokie Joe Silver for grilling steaks,but thats me. Besides he who dies with the most toys wins. A person can never have to much in the way of BBQ equipment.Now if you want something that the Grandchildren will be able to cook steaks on I would look at a LODGE CI Sportsmans grill. That is my next investment for BBQ.

SmokyOkie
12-17-2009, 01:05 PM
IF it were me i think it would be less expensive to just buy a Smokie Joe Silver for grilling steaks,but thats me. Besides he who dies with the most toys wins. A person can never have to much in the way of BBQ equipment.Now if you want something that the Grandchildren will be able to cook steaks on I would look at a LODGE CI Sportsmans grill. That is my next investment for BBQ.

I know this will draw fire, but I never much cared for the way a Weber cooks steaks, and I have cooked hundreds on one. For the money, they are hard to beat, but a Hasty Bake is a much more adaptable cooker for the purpose.

I have become so spoiled by having the ability to rasie and lower the frie grate that I don't know if I could go back.

My version of your quote is that whoever dies with the most true friends wins.:shrug:

BluDawg
12-17-2009, 04:59 PM
Hasty Bake $1100.00 Weber SJS 29.95 1070.05 left over for steaks,:shrug:thats a lot of Prime Beef.:eating: The HB is a very good grill too if ya don't know how to manage your fire:roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0:

PigCicles
12-17-2009, 05:07 PM
Ouch!

Raklet
12-17-2009, 08:25 PM
LOL, you guys crack me up.

SmokyOkie
12-17-2009, 10:18 PM
Hasty Bake $1100.00 Weber SJS 29.95 1070.05 left over for steaks,:shrug:thats a lot of Prime Beef.:eating: The HB is a very good grill too if ya don't know how to manage your fire:roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0:

OK, just for the record-286sq" vs 155sq" oif cooking space. Up at workbench height instead of having to kneel to cook. Ability to bake, smoke, or grill, and cook for hours without removing the cooking grate.

There are several more difference as well.

As far as knowing how to manage your fire, the Hasty Bake is for those that are experienced enough to want options as to how they want to manage their fire.

Touche' but then you expected that, right.

If you ever cooked on a Hasty Bake, you would never even draw a comparison to a Weber. Anyone that has will tell you the same.

Buy what you can afford, but if you really like to cook, buy the best you can afford.

Geek with Fire
12-17-2009, 10:49 PM
...clipped...
Buy what you can afford, but if you really like to cook, buy the best you can afford.

A good buddy of mine once said: "You might regret paying for the best but you'll never regret owning it."

BluDawg
12-18-2009, 12:15 AM
What is the best distance to place the grill from the coals for direct grilling? I want to build an attachment for my UDS that will allow me to grill steaks and such, but I'm not sure how far below the grill grate to place the coal pan I am going to build.

Thanks

* *First of all Racklet I'm sorry that I hijacked your thread, and never answered your question. I think that 1-2" will give a nice sear on steak if you are cooking to med rare ...med zone. if you want to go closer to the well done(agh) zone then you will need a way to slow down the cook after the initial searing.

OK, just for the record-286sq" vs 155sq" oif cooking space. Up at workbench height instead of having to kneel to cook. Ability to bake, smoke, or grill, and cook for hours without removing the cooking grate.

There are several more difference as well.

As far as knowing how to manage your fire, the Hasty Bake is for those that are experienced enough to want options as to how they want to manage their fire.

Touche' but then you expected that, right.

If you ever cooked on a Hasty Bake, you would never even draw a comparison to a Weber. Anyone that has will tell you the same.

Now Tim the topic was about Grilling steaks over direct heat on a UDS. As far as bending over to cook on a Smokie Joe I guess it would depend on ones fitness levle.:oops: My self I would place it on the grill in my UDS, so for those that are unable to bend or squat to cook that would make this a non issue.:msn-wink: I will admit that having more surface area to work with is desirable, but I never cook more than 4 steaks at a time max so for me again a non issue.
Yes the Hasty Bake is a VERY GOOD grill and a good multi tasker, but I always thought that it was the cook not the equipment that mattered most.:shrug: I don't doubt the merits of the Hasty as I've never once heard a bad thing about it or the company, but then I have never heard anything bad about Weber either. Both of these grills have the ability produce great food.

Chargrilled
12-18-2009, 07:13 AM
Good thread goin here boyz, I like it.

My :twocents:.

I would "grill" on a grill and Q on a pit. As far as grills go you can be in the affordable range and have the option of raising and lowering your heat source (I love that option as I cook steaks similar to the Okie in high sear at 1st then start lowering the heat rack)...................did everyone forget bout good ol trusty Chargriller????????? Love that thing for direct grillin, cast iron grills get dam near red hot.

And you can still produce some good Q on the unit (although I havent used it in the pit fashion forever).

Done jackin yer thread, sry bout that. :oops:

Raklet
12-18-2009, 09:20 AM
Its ok if you all hijacked the thread. The question has been answered and I'm having fun watching you banter about whose unit is bigger / better :roflmaoha0:

SmokyOkie
12-18-2009, 12:11 PM
Now Tim the topic was about Grilling steaks over direct heat on a UDS. As far as bending over to cook on a Smokie Joe I guess it would depend on ones fitness levle.:oops: My self I would place it on the grill in my UDS, so for those that are unable to bend or squat to cook that would make this a non issue.:msn-wink: I will admit that having more surface area to work with is desirable, but I never cook more than 4 steaks at a time max so for me again a non issue.
Yes the Hasty Bake is a VERY GOOD grill and a good multi tasker, but I always thought that it was the cook not the equipment that mattered most.:shrug: I don't doubt the merits of the Hasty as I've never once heard a bad thing about it or the company, but then I have never heard anything bad about Weber either. Both of these grills have the ability produce great food.

Man, is that all I can get out of my raucous attempt to stir the pot.:exasper::shrug:

No Dawg, nuthin wrong with either unit. I loved my SJP until I got the HB and now it sits in the corner.

Its ok if you all hijacked the thread. The question has been answered and I'm having fun watching you banter about whose unit is bigger / better :roflmaoha0:

Not really, cuz I have a SmokyJoe or two as well.:msn-wink::roflmaoha0:

The bad part is that he had to go and get nie and kill the banter.:roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0::roflma oha0:

Oh, and JOsh-

You don't see anyone feeling real good about having bought a Yugo,.... do you?

Your point is most valid.

BluDawg
12-18-2009, 05:24 PM
Who You Calling Nice?*

SmokyOkie
12-18-2009, 10:45 PM
Who You Calling Nice?*

Now that's more like it!:roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0:

BluDawg
12-18-2009, 11:05 PM
I hear that Hasty Bake has a recall on all their grills since they where bought out by Treager they will retro them into pellet poopers :wings::roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0:*

SmokyOkie
12-18-2009, 11:32 PM
Over the years, Hasty Bake has been bought by many, but to my knowledge, never Traeger.

Grant Hastings told me that he had to buy it back 5 times. :roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0:

svnt1malbu
12-24-2009, 12:30 AM
My grandpa bought one in the 60's. The only thing he ever had to replace was the grates 15 to 20 years apart. Other than that all that was needed was a coat of high temp black paint. Thats the first grill I learned to cook on. And still to this day cannot replicate the bbq chicken that came off that grill, even with the Head Country BBQ sauce I order online. It lasted up until summer of last year when a "Propane burner" decided they wanted to cook steaks on the grill. After they were done cooking they didn't close the vents or the lid and burned the thing all to hell. Too much to be repaired. That was a sad day. I still say I'm going to buy one but times are sure tough around here in Georgia.

SmokyOkie
12-25-2009, 09:54 PM
They will do a full refurb on them for under $300.

The newer models are leather textured powder coat.

for that matter, I could go by and look into getting you a replacement lid and then all you'd have to do is screw it in place.