PDA

View Full Version : Should we?

SmokyOkie
12-16-2009, 12:19 PM
My next door neighbor called last night and informed me that his oldest daughter is engaged and to be married on May day 2010.

He said there would be 200-300 guest for the reception and wondered if I was interested in cooking it.

I told him that I would need to check and-see if I could find the help I would need to do it, but that if I could, I would do the cooking as a wedding gift.

I figure about 150# of hot links, bologna, butts and briskets would do it.

Should I do it?

Oh, Curt, I wouldn't ask you to do it for free, but I might tell him that you would help for a small price. Interested?

californiasmokin
12-16-2009, 12:51 PM
Are they getting married in the back yard?Not too bad a gig if you get to cook at home!:thumbs up:

Very nice of you to cook for them Tim!

Fatback Joe
12-16-2009, 02:04 PM
Do it......when was the last time you got to do a cook of that size? Sounds like fun.

smokinok
12-16-2009, 02:08 PM
Go for it and if you need help to pull it off I am sure there are enough OKIE "Q" joint people to lend a hand. :wow::thumbs up:

Vermin99
12-16-2009, 02:09 PM
If you can find the help it it sounds like it might be fun.

cabinetmaker
12-16-2009, 03:20 PM
Oh, Curt, I wouldn't ask you to do it for free, but I might tell him that you would help for a small price. Interested?

Well, what ya think?:tap: Thats an outstanding wedding gift. Count me in bro.

Zeeker
12-16-2009, 03:53 PM
I would hands down do It and have a blast doing it as well...:wings:

SmokyOkie
12-16-2009, 04:31 PM
Do it......when was the last time you got to do a cook of that size? Sounds like fun.

About 6 months ago.:shrug:

Well, what ya think?:tap: Thats an outstanding wedding gift. Count me in bro.

Mark it down for June 30th/May 1st

Bixby will be the next weekend if you want to do it.

Contest reps-the Whitebooks

cabinetmaker
12-16-2009, 04:33 PM
Damn! I like that comp!

SmokyOkie
12-16-2009, 04:46 PM
I knew you'd be enthused.

silver-bullet
12-16-2009, 09:05 PM
Go for it!! I've been hanging around here long enough to know you are well qualified for the task & would have fun doing it.
I only wish I lived close enough to give you a hand,

Partyshack BBQ
12-16-2009, 09:29 PM
haha where are the words of wisdom that you keep telling me. lol

SmokyOkie
12-16-2009, 10:25 PM
Go for it!! I've been hanging around here long enough to know you are well qualified for the task & would have fun doing it.
I only wish I lived close enough to give you a hand,

Yes, I've done a few fairly large scale cooks. Prolly 500-600 max I think.

You could always come for a visit.:msn-wink::roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0:

haha where are the words of wisdom that you keep telling me. lol

I think the words that you are speaking of are "Never try to turn what you do for fun into a way to make a living because if you do, you will never be able to do either with it in the future."

If that is the case, bear in mind that I am not doing it for money.:shrug:

I asked him if he was asking because he wanted the best Q he could get, or the cheapest. He said "Yes".:roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0:

flying illini
12-17-2009, 07:31 AM
Sounds cool Okie! Good time of year to do it!

peculiarmike
12-17-2009, 08:33 AM
I'd seriously drive down and help, but........
I'll be at Truman Lake at the Missouri crappie.com spring camp at Bucksaw May 1-2 catching all those crappie and eatin' good with about 20 other crappie.com guys. :woohoo:

Very nice wedding present!

PigCicles
12-17-2009, 11:04 AM
Tim I think your mind was already made up before you brought it up :msn-wink:. Wish I knew which screwed up schedule I was on then - I'd make the trip for a long day and a good time.

I'll be at Truman Lake at the Missouri crappie.com spring camp at Bucksaw May 1-2 catching all those crappie and eatin' good with about 20 other crappie.com guys. :woohoo:

Very nice wedding present!

Mike - You know we are going to be expecting lots of pics and a fairly good sized fish fry outta that right??

peculiarmike
12-17-2009, 12:48 PM
Mike - You know we are going to be expecting lots of pics and a fairly good sized fish fry outta that right??

Maaaaaaaaaaabeeeeee! :msn-wink: Could happen. :D

flying illini
12-18-2009, 12:11 AM
Who knows, I might be able to lend a hand, too. Let me know. Have thought about the Bixby comp, too, since it is 3 min from my house.

SmokyOkie
12-18-2009, 12:15 PM
Who knows, I might be able to lend a hand, too. Let me know. Have thought about the Bixby comp, too, since it is 3 min from my house.

Are you talking about entering it or would you like to join us as a helper?

Chargrilled
12-18-2009, 03:01 PM

SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET! that'll be fun in the sun brother!!!!:thumbs up:

Tim you gonna fork over for the meat also? He!! the effort is quite a present already, not to mention seasoning, wood, etc, etc.......... Curt's time and knowledge!!!!:msn-wink::roflmaoha0:

SmokyOkie
12-18-2009, 04:39 PM
I don't know his daughter that well. :roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0:

No, I told him we'd cook it if he'd fork over for the meat. It won't take more than 2 or 3 bags of charcoal in the Piggie Plus, and I will ask him to compensate Curt.

Chargrilled
12-18-2009, 04:43 PM
I don't know his daughter that well. :roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0:

:blushing::blushing::oops:

:roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0:

ButcherBBQ
12-18-2009, 07:03 PM
Heres a thought Tim. Log your cooking for the rest of us and do a forum posting and let us follow you. Do the planning, purchasing , prepping, cooking, setup, serving, cleanup, and final thoughts after a beer.

flying illini
12-18-2009, 10:04 PM
Are you talking about entering it or would you like to join us as a helper?

With the way my life is (busy) - helping you all is the smarter choice.

peculiarmike
12-18-2009, 10:21 PM
Heres a thought Tim. Log your cooking for the rest of us and do a forum posting and let us follow you. Do the planning, purchasing , prepping, cooking, setup, serving, cleanup, and final thoughts after a beer.

Better do final thoughts BEFORE "a beer". Mr. Coors has been known to interfere with rational thought.

:roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0:

SmokyOkie
12-18-2009, 10:53 PM

:roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0: Good idea David, but the part of the planing I have already doen is to plan on only prepping and cooking.:shrug::roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0: Oh, and the final thoughts after the beer!:roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0:

Maybe I'm wrong, but it looks to me like a two or three meat comp without building a box...only on a larger scale, and w/o getting up early.:shrug:

What do you think? Am I over simplifying things?

\I hear you're going to Donnie's class in February. Me too.

With the way my life is (busy) - helping you all is the smarter choice.

I think I am speaking for the team when I say that yo are more than welcome.

cabinetmaker
12-19-2009, 09:05 AM

Absolutely!

ButcherBBQ
12-19-2009, 01:00 PM
:

\I hear you're going to Donnie's class in February. Me too.

Donnie who?

cabinetmaker
12-19-2009, 01:30 PM
Donnie who?

:roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0:

SmokyOkie
12-19-2009, 05:25 PM
:roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0:

Donnie, the only belly on the circuit bigger'n mine. That Donnie.:msn-wink:

flying illini
12-19-2009, 10:54 PM
I can help yall at that one and maybe a few others but I gotta plan ahead to commit. Always helps to learn and I know the Okie needs someone to give orders to around the pit. :D

Absolutely!

SmokyOkie
12-20-2009, 04:06 PM
I can help yall at that one and maybe a few others but I gotta plan ahead to commit. Always helps to learn and I know the Okie needs someone to give orders to around the pit. :D

Golly Glen, if you would do that, I could just sit around and relax.:roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0: