PDA

View Full Version : Just out of curiosity

chef schwantz
12-07-2009, 04:05 PM
Just out of curiosity, I was wondering if any of you comp cooks out there can give me a rough guestimate of what it would cost to put a bare bones operation for for doing a season of competitions. I'm just entertaining an idea that my Dad put in my head. He's recently retired, and has gotten bored with shooting tree rats off the bird feeder on days inbetween fishing trips. I seem to have a large amount of free time on my hands as well, due to the lack of economic stimulis in my neck of the woods. I don't want to get too serious about it until I talk to a few that have done it. I don't plan on making any money off of it either, that would just be a bonus. I've done a large amount of commercial cooking over the years, and once even did a whole steamship round in a modified weber kettle for a wedding I catered(sorry that was 12 years ago, no pics). This was all being talked about before "Pitmasters" hit the scene. Any thoughts would be appreciated.:sign0092:

Butt Lover's
12-07-2009, 04:11 PM
This season I just did local comps(<120 miles) and it was costing me about $500/comp doing it on the cheap. Around $150 for an entry fee, $75 gas, $150 - 200 for meat and about $125 for misc stuff like lump, seasoning, pans and gloves. That doesn't count money on thermos and smokers and other neat toys. Not to mention all the neat toys everyone else will have that you will want.

It get $$$ but it is so much fun!

Fatback Joe
12-07-2009, 04:56 PM
About the same for me $500 to $600 per depending on entry fees, distance, etc........and assuming you got all the gear you need.

You could easily spend much more, but that range is easily doable. IMO

SmokyOkie
12-07-2009, 05:18 PM
You can wrap up a few K real quick when you start buying smokers,EZ Ups, trailers, Cambros, cutlery and such.

You prolly don't want to use all you house cooking stuff, cuz you won't want to be packing/unpacking every time there is a comp.

Let's see:

EZ Up(tent) $300

Cambro $250

Set of Forschner knives and knofe roll $250

Two 150 QT coolers $150

Big box of Cut'n'Toss cutting boards $75

folding tables $120

Portable water heater $200

Bus tubs $40

Portable lights $50

And so on

A nice Backwoods Piglet plus $4300

8x18 trailerm $7500

Charcoal grill for chicken/searing brisket $500

Banners $300

Then all the little nickle and dime stuff

On the other hand, you could just show up in a pick up truck with two or three WSMs and a kettle, one cooler for cold stuff, another for holding.

Buld you turn in boxes on the tailgate and pray for good weather ...all for just a few hundred $.

Gee chef, I think the question wasa a little more loaded than you thought?????:roflmaoha0:

chef schwantz
12-07-2009, 09:30 PM
I appreciate all the input. One thing I am wondering is do you need hot and cold water and a hand sink, nsf equipment, food handler license, mechanical refer, etc. With chicken, are you limited to thighs, or can you do the whole bird like the idiot did on the TV show? I understand consistency between portions is important, is that why everybody does thighs?

SmokyOkie
12-07-2009, 10:27 PM
I appreciate all the input. One thing I am wondering is do you need hot ever try washing greasy stuff with cold water? and cold water and a hand sink, nsf equipment, food handler license, mechanical refer, etc. No need to comply with health dept regs because you aren't selling food. With chicken, are you limited to thighs, or can you do the whole bird like the idiot did on the TV show? I understand consistency between portions is important, is that why everybody does thighs?

Everybody does thighs for KCBS comps because it is the most forgiving piece as far as overcooking goes, because each judge gets some skin, because it is one of th ebetter pieces that you can fit 6 of in a box.

Some folks do breast meat, and if you can keep it moist and have a good cooking process and recipe, you can win with it, but thighs have more flavor.

YOU NEED A BACKWOODS SMOKER...LOOK deep into my eyes...YOU need a Backwoods smoker......You are getting sleepy.....

:roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0:

peculiarmike
12-08-2009, 08:29 AM
Drums win comps. Drums hauled in the bed of pickup trucks. I've seen it.

:twocents:

bbqbull
12-08-2009, 08:53 AM

Seen drums cooking at the American Royal and other comps.

Kurtsara1800
12-08-2009, 12:20 PM
I appreciate all the input. One thing I am wondering is do you need hot and cold water and a hand sink, nsf equipment, food handler license, mechanical refer, etc. With chicken, are you limited to thighs, or can you do the whole bird like the idiot did on the TV show? I understand consistency between portions is important, is that why everybody does thighs?

I have competed at a KCBS comp, I think there are 5 in Minnesota, you do not need nsf equipment or a food handlers license, mechanical refer. We had to have 3 sinks (tubs or bins, we used meat luggers) and a way to heat the water so we could wash, rinse, and sanitize, and we were told to use gloves handling the meat so we did not have a hand sink.

Like the other poster said, most use thighs because you have to fit 6 Identifiable portion in the turn in box, now i suppose you could smoke whole birds and then shred or pull the chicken to have a mixture of white and dark meat, just like you do on the pork butt, you can slice it but most I see put in pulled pork, I believe you can use an ice cream scoop to put 6 scoops/portions in the turn in container, but you cannot scuplt the meat to a certain shape.

If you don't have the rules for KCBS I can get them for you if you can't find them.

If you have my phone number still, call if you have any questions.

SmokyOkie
12-08-2009, 12:45 PM

No doubt

Seen drums cooking at the American Royal and other comps.

We don't see many used around here and have had difficulties using them for comps. There seem to be too many varied results cooking direct like that. They are also a prollem if you need to be able to work your meat for more than just a few seconds-which we do often.

Like the other poster said, most use thighs because you have to fit 6 Identifiable portion in the turn in box, now i suppose you could smoke whole birds and then shred or pull the chicken to have a mixture of white and dark meat, just like you do on the pork butt, you can slice it but most I see put in pulled pork, I believe you can use an ice cream scoop to put 6 scoops/portions in the turn in container, but you cannot scuplt the meat to a certain shape.

We generally see much more creative pork presentations that that down here.

Kurtsara1800
12-08-2009, 01:18 PM
We generally see much more creative pork presentations that that down here.

I thought you could not be creative, just ice cream scoops or a pile, you can't shape it or anything like that to maybe give a judge a heads up on what yours will look like

chef schwantz
12-08-2009, 02:12 PM
Thanks again to all who are offering up advice.

Kurt, I checked the KCBS site, and it only looks like there is 3 comps in MN next year. All down south. The rules were helpful. Be nice to have something closer to home, to at least check out.

Okie, I would love to have a Backwoods, I think you have my address, I'll pay the shipping if you donate the smoker.:msn-wink:

Kurtsara1800
12-08-2009, 02:39 PM

Kurt, I checked the KCBS site, and it only looks like there is 3 comps in MN next year. All down south. The rules were helpful. Be nice to have something closer to home, to at least check out.

Okie, I would love to have a Backwoods, I think you have my address, I'll pay the shipping if you donate the smoker.:msn-wink:

The past few years there has also been on in Watertown and Marshall.

The wife and I like the ribfests, they are in Nisswa, Hinkley, Gull lake near Brainerd, Pine river, Cass Lake just to name some

SmokyOkie
12-08-2009, 05:17 PM
I thought you could not be creative, just ice cream scoops or a pile, you can't shape it or anything like that to maybe give a judge a heads up on what yours will look like

Marking or sculpting ( they particularly look for rosettes) are prohibited.

Medallions, chunks, slices and more are very common down here.

Personally, texture wise, pulling the pork is not my favorite.

Now a big honkin' chunk'o'juicy, greasy, well smoked and seasoned pork....well that on the other hand can be a most wonderful thing.

Of course there is a lot more to producing that than there is to producing good pulled pork.:shrug:

We'll ship in on Okie Express then. It's all decided. Their shipping rates start out at about$1300.

which model did you want. shipping rate may vary with weight.

peculiarmike
12-08-2009, 06:53 PM
No doubt
We don't see many used around here and have had difficulties using them for comps. There seem to be too many varied results cooking direct like that. They are also a prollem if you need to be able to work your meat for more than just a few seconds-which we do often.

You need to break out of Oklahoma. Have a look around, get some fresh perspective.

Check out KCBS Team of the Year Points Chase -

KC Can Crew - drum smoker team. And they do well.

Work your meat more than a few seconds do you??? :shrug:

:roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0: :ack2:

SmokyOkie
12-08-2009, 10:58 PM
You need to break out of Oklahoma. Have a look around, get some fresh perspective.

Check out KCBS Team of the Year Points Chase -

KC Can Crew - drum smoker team. And they do well.

Work your meat more than a few seconds do you??? :shrug:

:roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0: :ack2:

Think of it a staying power Mike.:msn-wink:

I know there are teams that do well with drums, but not many of them.

I don;t get much time to break out of Oklahoma for comps cuz we use up most of our free weekends doing comps, and we like to do them in state for a shot at the Royal. Out of state GCs don;t qualify for an invite.

If we just wanted to win a few GCs, we would go to Illinois or Michigan to compete.:stir::roflmaoha0:

peculiarmike
12-09-2009, 08:26 AM
Think of it a staying power Mike.:msn-wink:

I know there are teams that do well with drums, but not many of them.

I don;t get much time to break out of Oklahoma for comps cuz we use up most of our free weekends doing comps, and we like to do them in state for a shot at the Royal. Out of state GCs don;t qualify for an invite.

If we just wanted to win a few GCs, we would go to Illinois or Michigan to compete.:stir::roflmaoha0:

Tim, you are NOT required to take a GC in the state where you live to qualify for the Royal.
You just have to win a GC in a qualifying contest, as listed below, wherever it may be.
C'mon out and play.

Qualifying Contests Include:

·Contests with a “qualifying state championship.” A state championship is a contest with a state proclamation signed by the Governor with at least 15 competing teams the first year and 25 competing teams each subsequent year.

·Contests with a minimum of 50 competing teams are qualifiers and do not require a “state championship” proclamation.

·A state with only one contest must have a minimum of 15 competing teams to be considered but does not require a “state championship” proclamation.

To be considered a “competing team,” teams must submit entries for all contest categories required to be the grand champion or overall winner of that event.

SmokyOkie
12-09-2009, 12:53 PM
I guess I was misinformed

cabinetmaker
12-09-2009, 02:27 PM
That should expand our schedule there, Tim:msn-wink:. Just don't go booking a comp every other weekend for 7 months. Angela will remove 4 balls, not just two!:roflmaoha0:

SmokyOkie
12-09-2009, 04:08 PM
That should expand our schedule there, Tim:msn-wink:. Just don't go booking a comp every other weekend for 7 months. Angela will remove 4 balls, not just two!:roflmaoha0:

:roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0:

Look at the sched and pick out which ones you think you'd like.

I'll email Jeremy and see what he wants to do.

PigCicles
12-09-2009, 05:16 PM

Havin another "turkey" fry?? :msn-wink: :roflmaoha0:

peculiarmike
12-09-2009, 06:14 PM
Havin another "turkey" fry?? :msn-wink: :roflmaoha0:

:roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0::r oflmaoha0::roflmaoha0:

:smack::smack::smack:

peculiarmike
12-09-2009, 06:17 PM

Y'all come on up. We've got plenty-O-comps around here. Some good ones too. Check out Smokin' On Big Creek. Bring your "A" game.

SmokyOkie
12-09-2009, 09:42 PM
Y'all come on up. We've got plenty-O-comps around here. Some good ones too. Check out Smokin' On Big Creek. Bring your "A" game.

Yeah, It would be nice to find some easier competition, right Curt?

:stir:

peculiarmike
12-10-2009, 08:04 AM
Yeah, It would be nice to find some easier competition, right Curt?

Like I said - Bring your "A" game. Be interesting.

cabinetmaker
12-10-2009, 08:42 AM
We always bring our "A" game. :msn-wink:

SmokyOkie
12-10-2009, 07:23 PM
We always bring our "A" game. :msn-wink:

We have an A game????

Captain Caveman
12-11-2009, 09:26 AM

I don't know if anyone mentioned it, but you can use a $35 propane fish fryer to heat a pot of water. Get some bus tubs to use as sinks.

PigCicles
12-11-2009, 09:37 AM
Good to see you back Mr. Caveman. Congrats on a good year. I think I lust after your set up every time I see it sitting up on the hill. Hope to see more (better) years from you to come.

Captain Caveman
12-11-2009, 09:50 AM
Good to see you back Mr. Caveman. Congrats on a good year. I think I lust after your set up every time I see it sitting up on the hill. Hope to see more (better) years from you to come.

Thanks Joe. I check in often, but don't post much.

We are planning on hitting the competitions a lot harder next year. We only did 13 KCBS this year, and 1 was the Royal Invitational (KCBS TOY points don't count for Invitationals), but still managed a top 25 KCBS TOY chicken. We were pretty happy with the season, but realized you need to compete more than that to give it a serious run.