PDA

View Full Version : May do first comp in September

TX Sandman
03-04-2008, 04:32 PM
http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Signs/help2.gif :sign0009:

There's a BBQ competition this September near my house and I'm thinking about entering (with Chuck, if he's interested). It's a fundraiser, and has a fairly inexpensive entry fee, so that's not a big deal. What I want to know is any tips y'all can share with a noob competitor. I know we need meat, cookers, and fuel, but what else comes in handy? I'm sure the more experienced folks here have some ideas that make it easier for them.

Also, just because something may be obvious doesn't mean we'll think of it. Please don't assume I'm smart enough to think of necessary items.

Thanks for any help, y'all.

DaHorns
03-04-2008, 05:03 PM
Remember a canopy, shade in Sept. is VERY important and any and all utensils you might need. I seem to always forget some utensils, so I went out and bought some inexpensive plastic ones and bought a small tote to keep them all in. Bring an extra lighter as well, it sucks when the one you use breaks......;)

The first one I did I had 1.5 trucks worth of stuff at the site and hardly used any of it. Also, one thing that I forget on a regular basis is food/drinks to eat on Friday and Saturday before the bbq is complete.

I will post more things as I remember them.....

Extension cord
Water hose
Trash bags
Water
Lights/Flashlights
Tables
thermos

PigCicles
03-04-2008, 05:23 PM
Don't forget the foil, spices, chairs, and a sense of humor for the times everything seems to be going against you.

Hope you do it and you do well. Keep us posted as you prepare for this.

glued2it
03-04-2008, 05:28 PM
BEER!:cheers2:

TX Sandman
03-05-2008, 04:36 AM
Thanks for the info, y'all. I spoke with Chuck and, since it's in September, it looks like he'll be able to do it.

Now I just gotta tell my wife. :willy_nilly:

Unfortunately, Jeremy, no outside beer, TABC rules. They'll have free beer for the party on Friday night, and beer at a discount in the hospitality tent on Saturday. Won't bother me as I don't drink much.

Horns, PC, thanks for the lists. Chuck forwarded me a checklist from last year, so I have that to look at. Right now I need a canopy and a couple tables. I'm expecting to have a drum or 2, plus my kettle and Chucks CG, so cookers should be good. The meat can wait for sales, and I don't have any wild game to enter. The rest of it sounds mostly like stuff I already have or can find pretty easy.

Sheesh, I hope I don't freak out as this get's closer. Of course, we're not officially entered yet, so this may all be moot.

bowhnter
03-05-2008, 07:54 AM
Rob, is that the weekend of the 19th/20th? That would be a good one for my first comp too, but that's our ann. wknd and will be out of town.

TX Sandman
03-05-2008, 08:02 AM
Rob, is that the weekend of the 19th/20th? That would be a good one for my first comp too, but that's our ann. wknd and will be out of town.

Yep, that's it. Chuck and I talked about it last year, and I'm kinda holding him to it. :msn-wink:

nascarchuck
03-05-2008, 08:42 AM

Thats my sons 14th Birthday, but guess where I will be?!?!?! I am hoping that my wife will agree to celebrating on Sunday...

Come on now... Be a man... Tell her y'all will go outta town next year!:sifone::stir::laughing-smiley-014

TX Sandman
03-05-2008, 08:50 AM
Thats my sons 14th Birthday, but guess where I will be?!?!?! I am hoping that my wife will agree to celebrating on Sunday...

:tap: Sure, already trying to get out of it.

I tell you now, bro, keep the wife happy. If she's gonna be upset, or you even think she'll be upset, it's not worth it. You gotta live with her a lot longer than the comp lasts.

nascarchuck
03-05-2008, 08:53 AM
:tap: Sure, already trying to get out of it.

I'm a big ol chicken!!!

And Mike is trying to weasel out too! Anniversary! Ha! :msn-wink:

SmokyOkie
03-05-2008, 11:03 AM
We're doing our first comp in April. We're not real serious about it, more just for fun. I could use a copy of that check list Chuck if you don't mind.

peculiarmike
03-05-2008, 11:31 AM
If you compete in a KCBS certified competition you will cook the four meat classes - ribs, brisket, pork, chicken. I've judged a few. There could be others, and sides or salsa, depending on the individual competition and their rules.
Generally the meat lineup most competitors cook for a comp. is -
6 slabs of ribs, most use babybacks- 2 briskets- 2 butts- 20 or so chicken thighs. That gives you some choices and backup.
There are advantages to cooking brisket and chicken at higher temps. The chicken cooked at 350 will have a nice skin and you want that instead of the rubbery skin. The brisket will not take near as long at 350 and will turn out fine. Cook to temperature. It's a comp., you aren't pleasing yourself.
These things more or less dictate more than one smoker so you can run different temps. You can have a main smoker cooking ribs and butts at 225-250, and do the chicken on a bullet smoker or drum at 350. Same for the brisket.
Thing is, you best do several trial cooks in the driveway to see how long the different meats take to cook and to get your routine down.
You might talk to Tonto1117, Bud'sBBQ, or BBQBubba about this, they are a seasoned comp. cooking team, The Smokin' Scotsmen Competition BBQ Team.
And thoroughly read and know the rules. You can't play the game if you don't know the rules. http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/forums/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif
Oh yeah, brisket is probably the hardest meat to smoke for competition. Butt is easy, you generally can't kill a butt.
Main thing - have a good time!
GOOD LUCK! :sign0111: :bandit: :pig:

TX Sandman
03-05-2008, 12:01 PM
Checklist on the way, Tim.

Mike, this isn't KCBS certified. Catagories are Brisket, Ribs (beef or pork), Chicken (whole), and Wild Game (subject to approval). Other competitions are for Jackpot Beans (separate entry fee), Best Margarita, Best Bloody Mary, and Best Decorations (all strictly fun). I have a general plan, but goals are just 39th or better right now. I'll be sure to ask the Scotsmen about any specific questions we may have.

Just got confirmation from the organizer that we're in. Now it's send the fee and stress for 6 months. Try not to embarass myself.

TX Sandman
03-05-2008, 12:26 PM
There are advantages to cooking brisket and chicken at higher temps. The chicken cooked at 350 will have a nice skin and you want that instead of the rubbery skin. The brisket will not take near as long at 350 and will turn out fine. Cook to temperature. It's a comp., you aren't pleasing yourself.
These things more or less dictate more than one smoker so you can run different temps. You can have a main smoker cooking ribs and butts at 225-250, and do the chicken on a bullet smoker or drum at 350. Same for the brisket.

In my experience, it's been the opposite. I do ribs at 325-350 to rave reviews, and the PP I've done has been fine at high temps, while my high-heat brisket was practically inedible, IMO. But, I may have done something wrong. :blushing:

nascarchuck
03-05-2008, 03:36 PM
We're doing our first comp in April. We're not real serious about it, more just for fun. I could use a copy of that check list Chuck if you don't mind.

Tim... shoot me a PM with your email address and I will send you a checklist that I just got emailed to me. Looks like a really good one. It's in Word format courtesy of Smokin' Guns BBQ Team.

Rob... it's fixin to hit your inbox as well.

peculiarmike
03-05-2008, 10:42 PM
In my experience, it's been the opposite. I do ribs at 325-350 to rave reviews, and the PP I've done has been fine at high temps, while my high-heat brisket was practically inedible, IMO. But, I may have done something wrong. :blushing:

If it's not KCBS then judging will not be the same, go for what you think works. :twocents:
I've talked to several teams, they either stay up all night baby sitting the brisket, or git it on at 350, both work. Last comp I judged a fellow I know took 3rd with brisket done on a drum at 350 in 5 hours.
Best of luck to you. Don't stress, have fun.

TX Sandman
03-05-2008, 11:17 PM
Last comp I judged a fellow I know took 3rd with brisket done on a drum at 350 in 5 hours.
Best of luck to you. Don't stress, have fun.

All I know is I tried a high-heat brisket cook and the brisket was tough. Not quite shoe-leather tough, but not real tender, either. I cooked to temp, and even overcooked it a bit, looking for that sweet spot, but never found it.

Mike, I've never been to a comp, never done one, so I have no idea what to look for. My goal is cook like I would for myself, try to go a little better, and have as much fun with it as possible. And not place DAL.

Talked with the Boss tonight and got her blessing. She laughed a bit and said, "I hope y'all at least make up some cool T-shirts. Or wear bright chile pepper scrubs or something."

BTW, Karen (AKA "Boss") told me the MIL was craving ribs. And Karen was specifically told not to mention it in front of the BIL because MIL "didn't want any of his nasty, chewy ribs. She wants yours!" [Big Head mod]

SmokyOkie
03-06-2008, 10:24 AM
All I know is I tried a high-heat brisket cook and the brisket was tough. Not quite shoe-leather tough, but not real tender, either. I cooked to temp, and even overcooked it a bit, looking for that sweet spot, but never found it.

[Big Head mod]

The secret to high temp brisket can be found here:
http://www.theqjoint.com/forum/showthread.php?t=135

I have been doing them for years. While I try to stay around 275­ -300, the sear jump starts the temp of the brisket. the secret is to smoke the meat in it's juices, not catch the drippings underneath.

TX Sandman
03-07-2008, 12:48 AM
the secret is to smoke the meat in it's juices, not catch the drippings underneath.

That may have been my problem. Well, one of many, some would say.

I don't have details at the moment, but I think I cooked it around 325-350 over a drip pan. Don't specifically remember if I foiled or not, but I don't think so. Chuck and I are starting to plan a strategy for practice, so I may try again and see if I can get it right this time.

The "whole chicken" thing is getting to us a little, since we usually do pieces. Ribs, who knows?

Edit: I was wrong. Cook temp was 275-300. 11.13 lb packer, 11 hrs cook to 185, no foil, sliced 1/2-3/8 in. thick. A chuck roast I cooked for the same cook, 3.48 lb, foiled, 4 hr cook to 200, was tougher than the brisket.

copkid
03-07-2008, 12:56 AM
Well, I'm thinking ya'll might be stuck with a Hoosier helper about then! So nobody better weasel out about anything. :smack:
Get ready Texas, here I come.....!!!!!!:cheer:

nascarchuck
03-07-2008, 12:58 AM
Well, I'm thinking ya'll might be stuck with a Hoosier helper about then! So nobody better weasel out about anything. :smack:
Get ready Texas, here I come.....!!!!!!:cheer:

I dunno about this Rob.... She sounds like a trouble maker!!! :roflmaoha0:

copkid
03-07-2008, 01:14 AM
Checklist on the way, Tim.

Mike, this isn't KCBS certified. Catagories are Brisket, Ribs (beef or pork), Chicken (whole), and Wild Game (subject to approval). Other competitions are for Jackpot Beans (separate entry fee), Best Margarita, Best Bloody Mary, and Best Decorations (all strictly fun). I have a general plan, but goals are just 39th or better right now. I'll be sure to ask the Scotsmen about any specific questions we may have.

Just got confirmation from the organizer that we're in. Now it's send the fee and stress for 6 months. Try not to embarass myself.

Oh yeh!! I'm in!!! And yes, Chuck, I am trouble!
Laura

nascarchuck
03-07-2008, 01:22 AM
Ind to DFW on Northwest Airlines is $120 RT on Sept 18 - Sept 21...

Orbitz.com

TX Sandman
03-07-2008, 01:53 AM
Oh yeh!! I'm in!!! And yes, Chuck, I am trouble!
Laura

Ind to DFW on Northwest Airlines is $120 RT on Sept 18 - Sept 21...

Now why you gotta go and encourage her? :msn-wink:

:censored2: Nad, the Kid, and me in the same town for a weekend. Cue REM.

"It's the end of the world as we know it . . ."

copkid
03-07-2008, 02:02 AM
Now why you gotta go and encourage her? :msn-wink:

:censored2: Nad, the Kid, and me in the same town for a weekend. Cue REM.

"It's the end of the world as we know it . . ."

You have no idea!!..............

copkid
03-07-2008, 02:04 AM
You have no idea!!..............

You DO remember me telling you about my HS reunion, right? And that was the 25th one.....!!

copkid
03-07-2008, 02:10 AM
http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/6927/reunionio2.th.jpg (http://img404.imageshack.us/my.php?image=reunionio2.jpg)

TX Sandman
03-07-2008, 02:16 AM
Oh, yeah, I remember!

nascarchuck
03-07-2008, 06:56 AM
http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/6927/reunionio2.th.jpg (http://img404.imageshack.us/my.php?image=reunionio2.jpg)

Don't know about you Rob, but I'm gonna be embarrassed hanging around someone that looks like that!:chickn4:

sweethanky
07-11-2008, 04:00 AM
hey me and my boy chad will be out there sent our papers in and were good to go:thumbs up:

mwthomas
07-11-2008, 07:08 AM
Camera - so you can say it really did happen.

TX Sandman
07-11-2008, 07:17 AM
hey me and my boy chad will be out there sent our papers in and were good to go:thumbs up:

Alright! Another local team!

Camera - so you can say it really did happen.

I'll get pics. Knowing me, I'll probably spend more time getting pics than cooking.

mwthomas
07-11-2008, 07:35 AM
Don't forget to advertise for "The Q Joint".

SmokyOkie
07-11-2008, 10:26 AM
Aha, and now we have some inter-forum competition. Maybe we could get a little friendly wager going.:msn-wink:

cbucher
07-12-2008, 07:49 AM
It should be a lot of fun. This will definitely be a new experience .

TX Sandman
07-12-2008, 08:00 AM
OK, looks like Chad, Hank, Chuck, Laura, and me.

Any other Joint members gonna be there?

sweethanky
09-10-2008, 05:09 AM
everyone ready..... i got my mokey meat ready for the wild game

SmokyOkie
09-10-2008, 05:32 PM
everyone ready..... i got my mokey meat ready for the wild game

What's mokey meat?

sweethanky
09-11-2008, 02:34 AM
What's mokey meat?

oh **** sorry MONKEY MEAT....:monkey:

sweethanky
09-17-2008, 04:04 AM
good luck to you guys that are cooking this weekend. we will not be cooking with you guys i have to work so have fun.......

TX Sandman
09-17-2008, 05:59 AM
:frusty: Well, shoot! I was looking forward to meeting you out there. But I do know how work can get in the way of a weekend.

Chargrilled
09-17-2008, 07:44 AM
Good luck to all the members comp. this weekend. I for one can not wait to see the pics from the event!! Hope you all have good weather and stay safe!! Bring out all the special recipes!!:msn-wink:

nascarchuck
09-17-2008, 12:06 PM
good luck to you guys that are cooking this weekend. we will not be cooking with you guys i have to work so have fun.......

Thats what sick days are for!!! :msn-wink: