PDA

View Full Version : Drumming Up Some Backs

peculiarmike
03-02-2008, 09:04 AM
Fired up the SDS (Silver Drum Smoker) Pineapple smoker with a load of lump and 7 good size chunks of cherry for smoke. Pulled the membrane off 4 slabs of baby back ribs, painted them with mustard and put on a coating of Double Q Rub.
The drum ran up to 310, then backed off to 240 and stayed there with oh so fine cherry smoke! I got the ribs on and the lid in place and let it do it's business for an hour. Popped the lid off and sprayed the ribs with apple juice and Jack Daniels mix, lid back on and and go another hour, then another spray, one more spray an hour later. All this time the drum is running 225 to 240, ambient temp. is 56 and STRONG wind. I removed one of the 1" plugs in the bottom of the drum and replaced it with a plug drilled to 1/2", removed all the plugs in the lid.
After 3 hours we foiled the ribs with a generous apple juice & Jack spray and put them back on for an hour. They were close to done when we foiled them. After the hour foiled we removed the foil and put them back on, basted them with Sweet Baby Ray's Honey BBQ Sauce. Left them on another hour.
The bark on these ribs is fantastic! They look really dark in the pics but are perfect. The rub & sauce combination is excellent.
Had the neighbors over and they went nuts on the ribs. We are scheduled for a camping trip with them soon and they want the drum to be there.

PigCicles
03-02-2008, 09:52 AM
:wow: Beautiful looking ribs Mike! I'm ready for lunch right now. That drum sure is good to you.

glued2it
03-02-2008, 10:46 AM
Mighty fine lookin ribs there!:thumbs up: I should have jumped out the car in peculiar.:msn-wink:

I' ready for lunch now too. skipped breakfast to save room

TX Sandman
03-02-2008, 11:40 AM
:kewlpics: Bones for breakfast! Doesn't get much better! Love seeing that drum in action, too!

SmokyOkie
03-03-2008, 04:20 PM
Great lookin BBs Mike. Is that ring loney and smkd cheese I see in the background?:eating:

peculiarmike
03-03-2008, 07:08 PM
Great lookin BBs Mike. Is that ring loney and smkd cheese I see in the background?:eating:

Yep, sure is. Smoked ring loney and smoked cheddar. A little appetizer for the neighbors.
Oh. OK. For me too. :laughing-smiley-014