View Full Version : Duck Soup with Orange and Earl Grey

californiasmokin
11-19-2009, 10:18 PM
serves 6

2 Tbsp butter or duck fat drippings

7 oz (200g) shallots,finely sliced

4 spring onions,White and pale green parts only,(tops reserved)finely sliced

2 Tbsp fresh ginger,grated

9 cups(2L)duck stock(skim fat if desired)

1 Tbsp orange zest

1 1/2 cups good quality orange juice,preferably fresh

6 tsp Earl Grey tea or take leaves out of six bags

2 star anise

4 cloves

2 Tbsp honey

Duck meat from carcass,shredded

1 tsp salt

1/2 tsp ground black pepper

Heat the butter in large stockpot over medium heat.Add the shallots,spring onions and ginger and sauté until golden (about 5 min).Add 2 1/4 cups (500ml)stock,orange zest,juice,tea leaves,star anise and cloves.Bring to a boil and simmer until mixture has reduced almost by half,About 30 min.

Pour the liquid through a sieve,pushing with the back of a spoon to extract as much liquid as possible.Return the soup to the pan.Add remaining stock,honey,duck meat,salt and pepper and simmer for 10 min.

Duck Stock

1 Duck(about 4 1/2lb/2.2kg)

1 carrot,unpeeled,sliced

2 celery stick,leaves included,roughly chopped

1 bay leaf

3 sprigs parsley

3 sprigs thyme

8 black peppercorns

Put all the ingredients in a pan and cover with water.Bring to a boil and then simmer for 2 1/2 hours,occasionally skimming off any residue.After 2 hours remove duck and allow to cool.Simmer remaining stock ingredients for another 30 min.

Strain remaining stock and cool.If possible,chill stock overnight.Remove fat if desired.

I have never tried this.

SmokyOkie
11-19-2009, 10:27 PM
It sounds really good. Do you think there would be any flavor left in the duck used for the stock, or would you just sacrifice the duck.

Do you spose the stock would be better if you roasted the duck to golden brown first?

californiasmokin
11-19-2009, 10:38 PM
It sounds really good. Do you think there would be any flavor left in the duck used for the stock, or would you just sacrifice the duck.

Do you spose the stock would be better if you roasted the duck to golden brown first?

I don't know how much duck would be left if I roasted it to a golden brown first.:roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0:

I just posted it because it's duck season and seems like folks are always looking for recipes.Do with it what you will Smoke Doctor!:msn-wink:

SmokyOkie
11-19-2009, 10:46 PM
I will do it. I promise.

I will roast the duck first and make use of the nice brown fond in the bottom of the pan before making the stock.:msn-wink:

californiasmokin
11-19-2009, 10:52 PM
I will do it. I promise.

I will roast the duck first and make use of the nice brown fond in the bottom of the pan before making the stock.:msn-wink:

I am drooling just thinking about it!:drooling:

SmokyOkie
11-19-2009, 11:05 PM
I would be, but instead, I'm trying to work on digesting the stuffing of Fried red snapper I just finished.:blushing: