View Full Version : Turkey Gravy?

californiasmokin
11-18-2009, 02:28 PM
Who has tips and recipes?:sign0092:

Joneser
11-18-2009, 02:58 PM
Who has tips and recipes?:sign0092:

McCormicks...LMAO!:roflmaoha0:

Actually, I deglaze the pan over the fire, with a little bit of white wine about 1/4 C or so, I don't measure.
Mix up a little cornstarch and cold water and add that slurry to the pan and bring it to a boil. If It's too thick, I'll add a little chicken stock. S&P to taste....works for me, nothing fancy.

JohnnyReb
11-19-2009, 05:56 AM
this looked good to me, wanna try it for the thanksgiving turkey

http://www.weber.com/holidaygrilling/Plan.aspx

peculiarmike
11-19-2009, 10:53 AM

Dang if it doesn't look good! :thumbs up:
Make sure we get a full report and pics of this one. :msn-wink: :drooling:

JohnnyReb
11-19-2009, 03:17 PM
Dang if it doesn't look good! :thumbs up:
Make sure we get a full report and pics of this one. :msn-wink: :drooling:
did you watch the video...

PigCicles
11-19-2009, 04:45 PM
The apple brine is interesting. I've suggested it for Thanksgiving. Still have the I don't know answer. Does look like something to try though.

Thanks for the link. The video is interesting.

Zeeker
11-19-2009, 05:13 PM
I've tried this before and it's very good...

1/4 pound (1 stick) unsalted butter
1 1/2 cups chopped yellow onion (2 onions)
1/4 cup flour
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Defatted turkey drippings plus chicken stock to make 2 cups, heated
1 tablespoon Cognac or brandy
1 tablespoon white wine
1 tablespoon heavy cream

In a large (10 to 12-inch) saute pan, cook the butter and onions over medium-low heat for 12 to 15 minutes, until the onions are lightly browned.

Sprinkle the flour into the pan, whisk in, then add the salt and pepper. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the hot chicken stock mixture and Cognac, and cook uncovered for 4 to 5 minutes until thickened. Add the wine and cream. Season to taste, and serve. Enjoy...

SmokyOkie
11-19-2009, 10:45 PM
I like cornstarch gravy for Turkey. I also like a dark brown savory gravy.

Remove all but about 1/4cup of the fat in the bottom of the roasting pan and add however much water ( 1-1 1/2 Qt) you want to have in the way of gravy.

While simmering over med low heat, loosen up the fond in the bottom of the pan. While this is happening, combine 1/3 cup cornstarch in 1 cup cold water. Whisk or shake up until dissolved. When the fond is all dissolved, add half the slurry and keep stirring until it comes back to a simmer. Repeat until desired thickness is achieved. Taste and if lacking in flavor ( this will vary depending on how much gravy you make) add some of this:

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p190/dickeydoobbq/betterthanboullionturkey.jpg

Add 1/2 cup heavy cream, return to simmer, but do not boil. Serve.

Another nice touch is to steep a sprig of thyme or a few leaves of fresh sage to the liquid before adding thickener.

Vermin99
11-20-2009, 06:13 AM

I have done an apple brine on a turkey breast and it turned out great.My brine didn't have all of the herbs that were in the video . I plan on doing an apple brine on our Thanksgiving turkey and might try putting thyme and sage in it. Rosemary tastes disgusting to me.

I have also made gravy a couple of times using the liquid in the pan. I used apple wood each time and I thought the gravy was really overpowering with smoke flavor. I would suggest using 1/3 to 1/2 of liquid from pan and using fresh chicken stock for the rest of the liquid thats needed.

SmokyOkie
11-20-2009, 12:02 PM
I I used apple wood each time and I thought the gravy was really overpowering with smoke flavor. I would suggest using 1/3 to 1/2 of liquid from pan and using fresh chicken stock for the rest of the liquid thats needed.

I didn't realize we were talking about smoked turkey.