PDA

View Full Version : Well I sold my ext party

Partyshack BBQ
11-15-2009, 07:16 PM
I am remorseful about selling it so quick. I have a cook coming up, not a huge one but in this economy. I thought I would post the ad, hoping to sell it in Jan or Feb when people start the smoker hunts for comp season. Well I sold it to a nice guy and actually turned out to be a friend of a friend. So, yet again I'm smoker less. I'm kind of torn on the FEC's vs the backwoods. I love the way the backwoods cooks but the FEC are even easier but from what I have read the 100 would be hard to match the capacity of the ext party. I need more capacity than the ext party. So I know I would have to go to at least a 300 and that is mucho bucks. I am looking at probably the piglet. I don't think I have to go plus with the width of the piglet. With the 2 additional racks to make a total of 5. I am calculating sq inches now on the different cookers. I even thought about a ole hickory cto but price becomes a issue compared to sq inches of the cooker. What are your thoughts?

SmokyOkie
11-15-2009, 07:20 PM
You might as well just go ahead and get the Piglet plus as opposed to the Piglet. If you don't, you will always wish that you had.

How do I know this? I now own a Piglet Plus.

Nuff said?

A pair of 100s would be a nice set up too. I might know someone that could get you a quantity discount.

Partyshack BBQ
11-15-2009, 07:50 PM
Yeah i'm sure . A piglet plus with 5 racks is almost 3500 sq inches. The piglet is 2970 sq inches with 5 racks. The ext. party is 1813 sq inches. The FEC-100 is 1564 sq inches. The FEC -300 is 5400 sq inches. Thats more space than I need to be honest and heavier than I could use as well.

I honestly don't need much more capacity than the ext party. Most of my parties run around 75-100 head range. I have done larger ones using the oklahoma joes, but thats too much work.

Whats the approx up charge from piglet to piglet plus? 3000 sq inches is about 2 regular parties. I would have 8 sliders installed but 5 racks. That way I could configure the racks to fit butts in better. With 5 racks you would have a little over 5 inches between racks. I could add a 6th rack and add about 600 sq inches. Aren't these backwoods versatile cookers?

smokinok
11-15-2009, 08:24 PM
I am sure that you are happy :wings:and sad :shrug: at the same time to sell it:silly: but sooo quickly:oops:. Now you are faced with that tough decision, (what to buy - what $ to lay out - etc). Sure you will get it figured out. :woohoo: Let us know and do post pictures. nopics?

Jake
11-15-2009, 08:40 PM
keep us posted :thumbs up:

Partyshack BBQ
11-15-2009, 08:43 PM
you are correct. I think for the money the backwoods is the way to go. Now which one is the question.

I had 1813 sq inches in the ext. party. doing a piglet would add about 1200 sq inches. If I do more catering jobs than I did last year. It will pay for itself quicker. The main reason for the upgrade is I am most likely going solo on the catering. Sadly my biz partner didn't pull his weight this year. Lesson learned, don't do business with friends.

SmokyOkie
11-15-2009, 09:39 PM
Whats the approx up charge from piglet to piglet plus? Aren't these backwoods versatile cookers?

About $800.

And yes, I think they are.

Partyshack BBQ
11-15-2009, 10:00 PM
crap i'm confused. The competitor is 3100 sq inches. 8 racks 3 inches apart same as the ext party, just 3 inches wider

Butt Lover's
11-16-2009, 06:45 PM
My FEC holds alot more large cuts than the extended party and sure is alot easier to use...

That said, I prefer the flavor of the BWS over the FEC and don't even fire up the FEC at home unless I have a large catering gig. The FEC does not do well(IMHO) with small loads, you need a full smoker for best results. I have seen the competitor and the ext. piglet, I would go with the Ext. Piglet!

Partyshack BBQ
11-16-2009, 10:30 PM
Mike really on the fec vs ext party? I put 12 briskets in the ext party for the aob catering. You would know since you have one of each.

Partyshack BBQ
11-16-2009, 10:34 PM
why would you go with the piglet over the comp. I don't think I can do the ext piggy. Your basically talking about two fatboys on top of eachother.
I wish I could pull the trigger on the fec but I would need 2 of them at least and 7k vs 4k for the piggy

flying illini
11-17-2009, 12:52 AM
Congrats on moving that smoker. I did think about it but apparently not enough. :msn-wink:

Partyshack BBQ
11-17-2009, 01:21 AM
Congrats on moving that smoker. I did think about it but apparently not enough. :msn-wink:
yeah and now glen that cook I was talking about the other day. Oops!

Butt Lover's
11-17-2009, 06:39 PM
How in the world did you get 12 large briskets on the Ext. Party?

The thing about the FEC is that there are four large shelves that have alot of room between them, so I can do two large briskets or four large butts per shelf. They can also throw some more shelves in there so they are spaced like a Party. But go with the BWS, whichever one you decide to get - you know how good they are! I love mine and I really like that I can put as much or as little smoke as you want on it. For catering I toss half logs on it to get alot of smoke.

Why is it that the customers always want really smokey and those of us who do it all the time like just a hint of smoke?

Partyshack BBQ
11-18-2009, 07:48 PM
How in the world did you get 12 large briskets on the Ext. Party?

The thing about the FEC is that there are four large shelves that have alot of room between them, so I can do two large briskets or four large butts per shelf. They can also throw some more shelves in there so they are spaced like a Party. But go with the BWS, whichever one you decide to get - you know how good they are! I love mine and I really like that I can put as much or as little smoke as you want on it. For catering I toss half logs on it to get alot of smoke.

Why is it that the customers always want really smokey and those of us who do it all the time like just a hint of smoke?

as close as the briskets are it might as well be one piece of meat. Now you have to remember i'm partial to 11-12 lbers and then trimmed. If you goto www.kotv.com and search the videos for art of bbq. I did a spot before the contest and I opened the door and you could see the 2 briskets per shelf. :) As hot as it was that day we actually got done with the briskets about 3 hours early. The butts on the 24 inch oklahoma joes is a different story. I quite honestly don't have the patience for that type of cooking. Its kind of like the dunkin donuts coml . Time to put another log on the fire, but instead of getting up early in the am . Its every 45 mins.

I did logs too. It really helped with burn time too. Just make sure you don't open the firebox door a lot otherwise you might have a big bonfire.

I think I even linked the video here.

Partyshack BBQ
11-18-2009, 07:53 PM
http://www.theqjoint.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3606

Heres the link on here where I posted you RGC and the vid. The vid is off there now.

pf89
11-29-2009, 06:02 PM
piglet comes to Il. you cant go wrong here cook as much asyou want or as little . we got one this summer and it has been burning eversence. i have cooked for 50 or 5 takes the same amount of charcoal, you cant go wrong with the piglet

PigCicles
11-29-2009, 07:41 PM
Thanks for your reply pf89. Please stop by the C'mon in and Sit Down forum and introduce yourself to us all for a proper hello.

Also tell us about your piglet and any other smokers you have.

Welcome to The Joint buster!

SmokyOkie
11-29-2009, 09:48 PM
Thanks for your reply pf89. Please stop by the C'mon in and Sit Down forum and introduce yourself to us all for a proper hello.

:whathesaid:

SmokyOkie
11-29-2009, 10:03 PM

The only other smoker is his brother in law. :roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0:

pf89
11-30-2009, 07:12 PM
its the brother in laws fault that iam here, to much good food to be had and to much fun cooking on the smoker some

SmokyOkie
11-30-2009, 11:02 PM
Your brother in law sounds like a real jerk, what corrupting you like that and all.:roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0::thumbs up:

pf89
12-01-2009, 08:49 PM
yeh dont know if you would understand, transit from Il.

SmokyOkie
12-01-2009, 10:49 PM
:roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0:

pf89
12-02-2009, 06:25 PM
cooked every weekend sence we had the smoker this might be the end 14 deg. on sat might be to cold to watch the smoker may the ducks come to you and smash them!!

SmokyOkie
12-02-2009, 09:26 PM
You can cook on that Piglet in 14 weatherif you're stout enough top be out in it.

with the guru on it, you don't even have to go out very often.

pf89
12-02-2009, 10:01 PM
not to coold for the smoker to coold for the beer drinker