PDA

View Full Version : Smoke a duck?

tomshoots
11-07-2009, 11:33 AM
My wife is thinkin' smoked duck for Thanksgiving. Anybody here done this? Any advice? :sign0092:

californiasmokin
11-07-2009, 11:45 AM
I bumped a couple threads for you Tom.Not sure how much help they will be.The Okie is duck hunting today. Maybe he will come back with some ideas for you.

SmokyOkie
11-07-2009, 11:06 PM
Store bought dcuk wants to be cooked real hot, like 375 or hotter.

If you want it smoked, put the smoke on it and then cook it in a covered grill, or the oven. Cut slits in the breast skin and cook breast down for the first part to render the thick fat from under the skin.

The crispy skin is the best part. be sure to cook it hot for the crispness.

Wild duck is totally different. You will not be able to get the skin crisp, even if the duck you have has skin on it.

If no skin, lard with bacon and smoke for an hour or so, then foil. Low temps will work best.

tomshoots
11-08-2009, 08:29 AM
Store bought dcuk wants to be cooked real hot, like 375 or hotter.

If you want it smoked, put the smoke on it and then cook it in a covered grill, or the oven. Cut slits in the breast skin and cook breast down for the first part to render the thick fat from under the skin.

The crispy skin is the best part. be sure to cook it hot for the crispness.

Wild duck is totally different. You will not be able to get the skin crisp, even if the duck you have has skin on it.

If no skin, lard with bacon and smoke for an hour or so, then foil. Low temps will work best.

:sign0092: Tim. I Googled it and found similar suggestions and some conflicting. It will be a store bought duck. I wanna try it, but my wife is already having second thoughts, even though it was her idea. It may end up in the oven.

Or I could go for frying a turkey. I've never smoked one. I bet it would do very well in the Topper. But she doesn't like turkey no matter what ya do to it.:shrug:

peculiarmike
11-08-2009, 09:47 PM
I thought that's what the Okie was doing the past few days - smokin' ducks. With a 20 gauge.

:roflmaoha0:

SmokyOkie
11-08-2009, 10:53 PM
I thought that's what the Okie was doing the past few days - smokin' ducks. With a 20 gauge.

:roflmaoha0:

12 :msn-wink::D