PDA

View Full Version : Pork brisket strips

Chris_Harper
02-27-2008, 12:42 PM
I smoked some of these Sunday. Didn't get any pics. Jenn ran down the batteries in the camera since she took Hunter to the park and took pics while I tended the smoker.
My local grocery carries these in cryo packs labeled as "pork brisket strips". I bought a package just to see what they were. For $1.12/LB, I figured why not. Came out very good. I took some to work yesterday and my crew tore 'em up. Taking the rest today for them to gnaw on.
Over on the SMF, Steve (BBQ Bubba) said it sounded like rib tips. It is the strips you cut off of spares to make St. Louis style ribs. There was 3 in the pack.

Bbq Bubba
02-27-2008, 03:47 PM
I thought this sounded familiar.....lol
Without pics i still think thats what they are, were there lil bones in some of it??

PigCicles
02-27-2008, 07:01 PM
Sounds like the flap of meat trimmed off the spares. Is that what Bubba was talking about? Sounds good though.

SmokyOkie
02-28-2008, 10:18 AM
The brisket is the part of the ribs w/ the heavy bone on the thicker side of the wide end (basically the breast bone and attached meat). If you look at the edge of a slab of spares, you will see a cut part vs. an uncut part. The brisket stops where the uncut part begins, i.e if the brisket is still on the slab.

The higher grade trim spares frequently have the brisket bone removed. I only remove it if the slabs are large and the bone is hard. We generally fight over the brisket cuz we think its the best part.

The flap on the inside of the spares is the diaphragm muscle known as skirt steak in beef. Do you leave those on or remove them?

Chris_Harper
02-28-2008, 12:46 PM
Yes, There was bones in them.
Tim, When I do spares I don't trim them. I just remove the membrane, rub, and smoke.

peculiarmike
02-29-2008, 09:52 AM
It sounds good, I'd like to find some.

Papa Tom
03-05-2008, 06:58 PM
Those brisket bones are what is trimmed off spares when they do the St Louis cut. They taste just like spares.