PDA

View Full Version : Ceramic IR burners

Dreamsinger
02-27-2008, 12:10 AM
I have an old TEC Cherokee that used get pretty danged HOT. It's not so hot now. The manual says the only cleaning is to vacuum it. I think it needs something more aggressive. Any hints?

Pork N Stein
04-03-2008, 10:03 PM
Have you tried to do a burnoff? Run it as hot as you can get it for an hour or so to turn as much gunk as possible to ash then used a compressed air canister (like you'd use to clean the keyboard on your computer) to blow as much loose as you can, then follow up with the shop vac to get the stuff outta the bottom, but I don't think I would try much more aggressive tactics than that unless its just doesn't get any better. Those burners can be a little fragile and actually the ceramic can crumble if you go after them too hard. Plus you don't want to risk blocking off any of the ports any worse than they might already be.

Heckuva steak searing machine you've got there if you can get it back up to snuff again though.

I try to run the sear burner on my grill for 5-10 minutes to make sure I burn out as much as possible before shutting it down after searing.

If it still won't get hot enough, I don't think you could hurt anything trying to clean the ports with pipe cleaners (with the burner cool).

Let me know how it works out!

BA_LoKo
04-03-2008, 10:06 PM
I sure don't know much about them, other than they are propane fired. That being the case, could it be possible your orifice has gotten clogged?