PDA

View Full Version : Fast Eddy Pellet Grill

SmokinOkie
10-30-2009, 07:02 AM
So, got a new grill from FE, it's came out this year, but I just got mine.
For you that don't know about it, Fast Eddy came out with his own grill this year, runs on pellets (that's why it's in this forum)

For the Wife's Birthday I've been playing with it for Grilled Pizza and they were awesome (better than my charcoal or gas grill versions).

First the grill. it rained overnight so it's dirty looking. Waiting for a cover, they're still be manufactured.

http://www.cookshack.com/Websites/cookshack/Images/Grill1.jpg

This grill can get hot. I set it at the max temp on the grill, 600 and here's the thermometer.

http://www.cookshack.com/Websites/cookshack/Images/Grill2.jpg

Now what good is a new grill without being an excuse for new toys, this one from Thermoworks:
http://www.cookshack.com/Websites/cookshack/Images/Grill3.jpg

Here it is, showing the temp of the Pizza Stone, you can see that's the stone I'm pointing at. What's nice is the stone fits on the "indirect" side and you can see that stone itself got hot. I wanted the stone at 450 for pizza. With the insulated lid, it did a great job on Pizza, just fabulous. No pictures of that, was too busy cooking and eating.

http://www.cookshack.com/Websites/cookshack/Images/Grill4.jpg

Also did some ABT's for the wife since it's her B/D.

http://www.cookshack.com/Websites/cookshack/Images/Grill5.jpg

Overall, I love having the pellets in a grill option now, really like the flavor. Most everyone commented about the flavor without even knowing about the change in grill (they don't ask, they just let me do the cooking). Holds temp really well, although when you're cooking this hot, it puts out a lot of ash trying to get up to temp, but once it's at temp, you don't see it.

BigAL
10-30-2009, 07:21 AM
Smokin, looks good, your a lucky dog!:thumbs up: Took for ever for them to finally get this one out, how it felt anyway. Can't wait to see more of your cooks. look'n forward to pix of grill marks and how that side works.

For the price, wish it had a bigger cook'n/smoke'n surface.

Do you also have the FEC 100? if so, I'd like to know what you like better.

Thanks.

SmokinOkie
10-30-2009, 08:23 AM
Do you also have the FEC 100? if so, I'd like to know what you like better.

Thanks.

Yeah, it took a while to get out, I told FE not to even talk about them until after the first run. In reality I had the same concern about the size of the direct vs. indirect but... When you look above and see the oven temp is 600 and I'm doing 500 degrees on the indirect, I don't think the size of the direct is an issue UNLESS you're cooking a bunch that way. For direct, yes it's a small space, but I'm a fan of get a crust on the steak and finish indirect (similar to how chefs get a crust and finish in an oven).

For me, this is a grill only, I won't really use it as a smoker as I have an FE for that. I've done ABT's, hot dogs, pizza, chicken, pork loin all for grilling and the family all mention they notice a flavor difference (heck, that's something, they just let me do the cooking, they don't probably know which one I'm cooking on.

As for the FE. I run the CS forum and they sponsor me on the circuit, so I do have a few FE's. Well actually I have 3 of them (sold one) two are Boomer & Sooner:
http://www.cookshack.com/Websites/cookshack/Images/bigred1.jpg
I had CS powdercoat them and have a reverse door and these are in my comp trailer. Man, they just wipe down, that Powdercoat is WAY easier to clean.

I have an old traeger style controller on the one at home.

Smokin'

Joneser
10-30-2009, 09:23 AM
Nice equipment!

silver-bullet
10-30-2009, 11:37 AM
Very Nice! Congrats on your ner grille! :woohoo: My Traeger doesn't get that hot, But it still cooks a mean pizza. We don't even cook them in the house oven any more. The crust & taste is unbeliveable!
Looks compriable to the Traeger BBQO75 How's the price?
Somewhere down the road I'm going to get a bigger grille. This one could give Traeger a run for its money.
I also have to ask, What kind of heat control comes with it. Are there any options?
My Traeger came with the Smoke, Medium, High, control. I went out & bought the optional digital control for it. Which I like.

Bbq Bubba
10-30-2009, 08:06 PM
Nice equipment!

Brian likes Tim's equipment......pass it on.

Neat toy Tim but if thats new, i got a 2001 Expedition you'd like. :msn-wink:

Didn't need to see the red FE, got me drooling pretty hard now.

Can't wait!

SmokyOkie
10-30-2009, 09:10 PM
Brian likes Tim's equipment......pass it on.

Neat toy Tim but if thats new, i got a 2001 Expedition you'd like. :msn-wink:

Didn't need to see the red FE, got me drooling pretty hard now.

Can't wait!

Bubba, you're confusing me with Russ ( Smokin Okie)

Bbq Bubba
10-30-2009, 09:21 PM
Bubba, you're confusing me with Russ ( Smokin Okie)

Bubba's sorry..... :blushing:

She's a beauty!

SmokyOkie
10-30-2009, 09:25 PM
Now I know which red one you were talking about. It would look even better with a big OU on it.:msn-wink:

Partyshack BBQ
10-30-2009, 09:32 PM
Very Nice! Congrats on your ner grille! :woohoo: My Traeger doesn't get that hot, But it still cooks a mean pizza. We don't even cook them in the house oven any more. The crust & taste is unbeliveable!
Looks compriable to the Traeger BBQO75 How's the price?
Somewhere down the road I'm going to get a bigger grille. This one could give Traeger a run for its money.
I also have to ask, What kind of heat control comes with it. Are there any options?
My Traeger came with the Smoke, Medium, High, control. I went out & bought the optional digital control for it. Which I like.

Your Traeger will if you remove the heat diverter, not the drip pan the diverter on the bottom

Partyshack BBQ
10-30-2009, 09:34 PM
Yeah, it took a while to get out, I told FE not to even talk about them until after the first run. In reality I had the same concern about the size of the direct vs. indirect but... When you look above and see the oven temp is 600 and I'm doing 500 degrees on the indirect, I don't think the size of the direct is an issue UNLESS you're cooking a bunch that way. For direct, yes it's a small space, but I'm a fan of get a crust on the steak and finish indirect (similar to how chefs get a crust and finish in an oven).

For me, this is a grill only, I won't really use it as a smoker as I have an FE for that. I've done ABT's, hot dogs, pizza, chicken, pork loin all for grilling and the family all mention they notice a flavor difference (heck, that's something, they just let me do the cooking, they don't probably know which one I'm cooking on.

As for the FE. I run the CS forum and they sponsor me on the circuit, so I do have a few FE's. Well actually I have 3 of them (sold one) two are Boomer & Sooner:
http://www.cookshack.com/Websites/cookshack/Images/bigred1.jpg
I had CS powdercoat them and have a reverse door and these are in my comp trailer. Man, they just wipe down, that Powdercoat is WAY easier to clean.

I have an old traeger style controller on the one at home.

Smokin'
Damn Russ, I was gonna comp cook with you till I saw that fec 100 but crap i'm a biggot and not a pellet biggot. :)

Go Pokes

SmokinOkie
11-03-2009, 09:55 AM
Damn Russ, I was gonna comp cook with you till I saw that fec 100 but crap i'm a biggot and not a pellet biggot. :)

Go Pokes

Actually I have two that sit on the back of the trailer, so they REALLY show up with all that red at Oklahoma contests.

Tim, I named them this year and in big black letters one says BOOMER and other says SOONER.

Russ

smokinok
11-03-2009, 10:33 AM
SMOKYOKIE: Your wife is one very lucky wife and she must be :wow: V E R Y , V E R Y hungry if all of those ABT's are for her birthday. :eating::eating:Fantastic looking grill and I love the heat that that baby generates. It is said that my TEC/CharBroil 4 burner will get up to 800 or 900 but I am not convinced :blushing: but it will put a great sear on a ribeye.:msn-wink::msn-wink: I am sure that you remind her of how lucky she is all of the time. :ack2: GREAT EQUIPMENT.:kewlpics: