PDA

View Full Version : fried chicken help, please?

lazy
10-22-2009, 07:45 PM
I know this isn't smoking or BBQ, but I figured surely somebody around here the experience frying chicken...

I've tried numerous times and have burned it each time. I've blamed in on having to cook on a #$!!?!!~ electric stove instead of a gas one, but that doesn't seem to cut it anymore. Our youngest keeps asking for "that chicken cooked in the skillet like Grandma makes:Drool2:". :blushing:Even with "Grandma's" tips, I have not succeeded.

So, anybody care to put their :twocents: in and try to help a guy out? And if it makes a difference, I'm using a cast iron skillet, not a teflon or any of those other fancy ones.

Thanks!

smokinok
10-22-2009, 08:07 PM
I am not the chicken fryer in this household but the wife :msn-wink: does hers either in a large skillet covered or she uses an electric skillet and frys at 340-360 COVERED. :thumbs up:If it is not browning to her satisfaction then she uncovers. Dips in milk and then dredges in Ky Col Seasoned Flower (Reasor's in Tulsa) NOTE: my avitar. :cheer::cheer: She does fantastic fried chicken. :eating::eating: Hopes this helps if any questions, PM and I will ask her .

BA_LoKo
10-22-2009, 09:12 PM
I can't help you with the batter, but I will tell you that cooking in lard will certainly help. It's not healthy, but it's surely fit to eat!

SmokyOkie
10-22-2009, 10:02 PM
Don't use batter, just dry dredge in seasoned flour. Poultry seasoning, salt black pepper.

If it scorches, you are cooking too hot. Let it sit on one side only long enough to brown, then turn. Continue turning every few minutes until done.

Use enough oil to come about halfway up the chix, but remember the oil level will rise when you add the chix to it.

Popur off the excess oil, add a little flour and make gravy with milk and chicken soup base, preferably Superior Touch soup base.

BigAL
10-23-2009, 05:29 AM
Check this out also, it may help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dbc1aW5C1W0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWtC_3zUdcg

peculiarmike
10-23-2009, 10:09 AM
Local chicken joint here in KC, Stroud's, uses half lard & half oil.
And their chicken is killer.
Their motto - "We choke our own chickens". Got the shirt.

http://www.stroudsrestaurant.com/

The place in the website pic is gone, torn down when they widened the bridge in the background. It was an old roadhouse from the 20's. note the alignment of the windows.

Good luck with your chicken.

chef schwantz
10-23-2009, 12:54 PM
Totally agree with Okie on the heat, and Mike and Loko with the lard thing. :twocents:

lazy
11-12-2009, 12:45 AM
Had some butter milk left over from making a batch of B&G last week, so I decided to give fried chicken a try this evening and make some more buttermilk biscuits to go with it. Successful for the most part, but turned into bit of a Keystone Kops routine by the time it was done... This'll be a long one, so bear with me, or ignore the post, whatever floats your boat.

I just assumed you could still buy cut-up fryers at the grocery store. But nooooo, evidently not. Okay, so a whole fryer it is. Does anyone sell them that aren't frozen? Finally found one that was mostly thawed. Uh...how do you cut up a chicken?? Heck if I know...ask MIL (she's back again, guess I need to update that thread...) surely she's done it enough it's fully ingrained in her memory..."We never really made much fried chicken, not healthy"...OOOOkay, so ask Mr. Google. Hey--how come none of those videos or pictorials show a piece of breast meat with the T-shaped bone on? That was always the best piece when I was a kid...Oh well, here we go. This is where my photographer flaked out to watch :puke Oprah... Tired of waiting, here we go. maybe the photog will catch up. @#!!??! Why is it with 20+ feet of counter space, there's never more than 3 feet cleared of crap? Push/pile stuff to one side and put the cutting board out on the counter. Hmm...need a sharper knife...where's the sharpener. Okay, still not too sharp, but it'll work. Pull the leg away, find the joint, cut through...Hmm, not so bad... Whack off the other one, the wings came off without too much hassle, separate the breasts... Hey, that wasn't so hard. Only semi-mutilated a couple of pieces. And I know we never had chicken breasts this size when I was a kid. Partially "pumped" birds I guess, but Mom must've cut it up differently. Oh well, next time we're back I'll watch her do one.

Dredge in flower, dip in buttermilk/egg, dredge in seasoning (flour, S&P, a bit of Head Country (why? don't know, just sounded interesting), a bit of garlic, bit of paprika all mixed together). How much Crisco? Guess we'll try a block and see. I read that if the breading comes off the bird in the skillet (which had happened the first two times I tried frying boneless breasts), the grease wasn't hot enough. If it smokes, it's too hot. So, smoke it and let it cool a bit? Probably not a good idea. Let's toss a bit of flour in it, sizzles....must be hot enough...Crap! too much bird for the skillet. Let's start another skillet warming up. Better turn the oven on for biscuits. How come the back skillet's starting to smoke? I forking HATE cooking on an electric stove!! Pull it off the burner for a minute or two and let it cool a bit. Dang! That first skillet sure smells GOOD!! Just like I remember. Wait a minute--need potatoes on for smashed spuds... Okay, put the youngest to work peeling spuds and put them on to boil. Hmmm... lots of breading/milk/egg clumps left--wonder what would happen if I toss 'em in the grease and make mini-hushpuppy sorta thingies? Nothing ventured... in they go. Turn the first skilletfull over Oops! forgot the biscuits. Put the second skillet back on.

Recipe specifically states use "very cold" butter. It's in the freezer, that ought to be "very cold". Oh yeah, frozen butter is a biotch to cut! Well, guess I'll use part butter part oleo. 1/2 way through, turn the other skillet of chicken. "Would one of you women set the table in a few minutes? I've got my hands full..." The key there was "in a few minutes". Bless her heart, MIL decided she could/should do that. Right now. As I'm bouncing across the kitchen from stove to counter. In a *small* kitchen. Finish the biscuits in between "Now--tell me again...where will I find the plates? Do we need glasses? Am I supposed to be doing something else to help? Oh, am I in the way?" Got the biscuits in, pulled the first batch of chicken out and put on a cookie rack to drain (one block of Crisco was waaay to much....) Put a pot over the chicken to try to keep some of the heat in.

Poured some of the excess grease out of the skillet, left the rest for gravy. Tried a little different way of making gravy (http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2007/09/biscuits_and_gr/). Pulled the other skillet of chicken off. How are we going to eat this much chicken? Oh yeah, the younger girl is home tonight. Maybe I should've gotten two birds...that girl eats like a linebacker. And if she turns sideways she won't cast a shadow...Photographer decided her legs hurt too much to stand around and take pictures (she has MS, so I guess I'll buy it. One less person in the way anyhow). Got the gravy going, spuds are ready to smoosh, put the youngest to work doing that. First time I've ever seen anyone use the spaghetti strainer to drain potatoes. (15-yr old snarl--"What? that's the way I always do it!!" I guess that's why it's in the dishwasher sometimes and I dont' remember having spaghetti...) Gravy is thickening pretty well, turn down the burner. "Dad, can I use the buttermilk in the potatoes?" "No, you can't use--hey, why not? might make 'em creamier" Then, I swear, she also chunks a 1/3 stick of oleo into the bowl . Mighty good smooshed spuds. Might have her cook more often.

Biscuits are done, out and in the basket. Crap, gravy's getting too thick. Have I mentioned that I absolutely despise cooking on an electric range? Well, I guess if it's a bit thick, it won'e run all over the plate. At least you don't need to cut it with a fork... Let's eat!

Chicken was surprisingly good. The breading had a bit too much salt, the skillet that got too hot could've cooked a bit longer. All in all for my first time doing the whole bone-in chicken fryin' thing, I would call it a success. Had about 1/2 of one breast left. Daughter ate two legs, 1/2 a breast, and part of a wing. Not to mention two big helpings of potatoes and gravy. And finished the odd left-over biscuit. Then wanted another piece of cheesecake for dessert. I keep telling that eating like that is going to catch up with her one day, but I'm her father--it's obvious I "don't know anything"...

Joneser
11-12-2009, 08:36 AM
Wow, for being lazy, you sure do know how to paint a picture.
Felt like I was right there in the kitchen, in your way.
I'll bet with a little planning, your next fried chicken venture will be a greater success. Way to go!

BluDawg
11-12-2009, 10:06 AM
Lazyy Good fried chicken is like BBQ practice , patience and a solid technique will "git 'er done". The first rule is fried chicken should be cooked in a CI skillet. It''s heat retention properties allow for an easy control of fat temp. once you git it hot it will bounce back rather quickly after you add the chicken.I start out a little hotter at first so when I add the chicken it cools down to about where it should be then I throttle down on the heat to med.I
I soak my chicken in buttermilk spiked with Louisiana hot sauce for 1 hr. Take 2 cups of A/P flour and add 1 tsp table salt and 2 tblsp. Old Bay place that in a brown paper sack, add two pieces of chicken at a time. shake to coat, place the pieces on a baking rack that is on a sheet pan and refrigerate 1 hr. This allows the flour to set prior to frying. I fry mine in Crisco shortening, about 1 cup.

SmokyOkie
11-12-2009, 01:14 PM
I have tried the buttermilk thing and it seemed to cause the chicken to get too dark..Is there a trick to that?

I like lard/oil mix for frying it.

nascarchuck
11-12-2009, 01:21 PM
When I do fried chicken, this is how I do it. I always use boneless/skinless breast, cook on a non stick skillet, electric stove and use cooking oil.

I mix about 3 eggs and a little bit of milk (too much milk will cause the batter to fall off) together in a bowl and have another bowl of flour ready. I dip the chicken in the egg/milk real good, season with Algelos Pork & Poultry rub and then dredge in the flour shaking the excess flour off.

I already have the skillet preheated. I use enough oil so that it is a little less than half the thickness of the chicken. I heat and cook on #7 which would be a med-high setting.

I cook the one side until golden brown, about 5 mins then I flip it and do the same. Pick it up with tongs and let the oil drain back into the pan for a few seconds then place on a plate that is lined with paper towels.

Good stuff Maynard! :thumbs up: In fact we had that 2 nights ago.

PigCicles
11-12-2009, 02:23 PM
Nice write up of your experience for sure :thumbs up: Sounds like everyone ate and nobody got sick. So that makes the whole thing a success.

I really like the step by step pics, especially the one that shows the flour all over your face and shirt - how did that happen :msn-wink: :roflmaoha0:

Oh and are we to understand that you really don't like cooking on the electric stove???

Thanks for making your event so interesting (even if there weren't any pics)

BluDawg
11-12-2009, 03:34 PM
I have tried the buttermilk thing and it seemed to cause the chicken to get too dark..Is there a trick to that?

I like lard/oil mix for frying it.

I have never experienced that (getting dark) how long do you leave it in the butter milk? I only go an hour.also I spike mine with Louisiana hot sauce. so it has a pinkish tint when it comes out. Frankly I don't care how it looks as long as it tastes good.:D

SmokyOkie
11-12-2009, 09:18 PM
I have done as long as overnight and as little as a couple hours. I like to add cayenne sauce too, I usually use "Crystal Pure" if I do.

I think maybe I just don't drain it well enough.

We seem to do pretty well with just plain old dry dredged traditional "Granny's Chicken".

Bubba
12-04-2009, 01:05 PM
Sorry for the tardiness, but instead of buttermilk, use hot sauce (I like Texas Pete's) for wetting the chicken for the dredge. It is how Paula Deen does it in her restaurant, and it is fan-forking-tastic. It does not make the chicken hot, but gives it a great depth of flavor.

Willkat98
12-04-2009, 02:12 PM
I stumbled on a recipe/method a few years back and have never needed mess with the tips/technique I found here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGrqW3nx5HM

SmokyOkie
12-04-2009, 02:27 PM
I was appalled by Ms Andersons discovery of "painful debeaking".D@

I'm a fan of Crystal Pure hot sauce for that use.

You could always do like Popeye's and add a bunch'o'cayenne to it as well.

BluDawg
12-04-2009, 02:56 PM
Crystal is the deal It is the only louisana pepper sauce I buy.Tobasco is to vinegary.

SmokyOkie
12-04-2009, 03:21 PM
Crystal is the deal It is the only louisana pepper sauce I buy.Tobasco is to vinegary.

Plus its made with those nasty Tabasco peppers instead of cayenne.

Hotter than most cayenne sauces if you want heat, but if I want heat, I lean more toward the mexican pepper sauces like Tapatio or Valencia

yamahog3187
12-11-2009, 04:40 PM
A little late but I hope it helps. I dip the chicken in seasoned egg then seasoned flour or whatever breading you are using. I found out the hard way that the trick is to keep the heat down on an electric stove with a cast iron skillet. You just have to keep flipping the chicken. A screen will help keep the splatter down. My first attempt ended up only half done because I had the heat up too high! The breading/flour burnt before the chicken got done! Keep it moving in the oil. Flip the pieces often! It takes a bit of patience to work out the balance between heat and how often you flip the chicken! If it browns in only a couple of moments, you have the heat too high. The larger pieces won't get done before the coating starts to burn. Don't know if that will help, but good luck on the cook.

SmokyOkie
12-11-2009, 04:46 PM
The egg gives it more of a tendency to scorch.

If you just do a dry dredge, it won't be quite so bad.

I only use the double dip when I deep fry.

Siesta Man
12-12-2009, 07:40 AM
Tapatio is the only way to go. It's the only hot sauce that I use in this house. Low on vinegar and high on flavor. It's turned into a very popular table item in the Baja. Real interesting, it's made in the City of Industry, Calif.

Siesta Man
12-12-2009, 08:05 AM
Tim, I do the buttermilk thing also, but when I take it out I pat most of it off with a paper towel and leaving it just damp enough to take a seasoned flour dredge. Mix mine in a plastic bag and coat small batches of chicken at a time. Also use a large CI and pure lard. ( Hold over from Mex. cooking days, grandma used bacon drippens ). Cook temp around 350 should work fine. After you lightly brown all sides the trick is to keep the bird turned often to prevent scorching. E.T.

SmokyOkie
12-12-2009, 07:22 PM
Tapatio is the only way to go. It's the only hot sauce that I use in this house. Low on vinegar and high on flavor. It's turned into a very popular table item in the Baja. Real interesting, it's made in the City of Industry, Calif.

What do you think about Cholula?

Siesta Man
12-12-2009, 08:01 PM
What do you think about Cholula?

It had a good flavor but it was a little warm for me. My taster might have been off that night but I didn't get back to trying it again. Others liked it though so probably my loss. E.T.