PDA

View Full Version : Turkey Time and Temp?????

antny616
10-19-2009, 12:53 PM
Doing a 13 lb turkey on Sat. and need some help with time and temp. Gunna brine for about 18 to 20 hours, then smoke with apple on my offset.
Can anyone give me some help. I plan to do turkeys for my family thanksgiving and think I should give it a try first.

Thanks a lot.
antny

cabinetmaker
10-19-2009, 01:22 PM
Poultry is important to keep in the danger zone (41-135 degrees) as less amount of time as possible. Its really not advantageous to "slow" cook it. It gonna be juicy any way unless you over cook it. That said, I like to cook mine at 300 till it reaches 135. I then turn the heat down, and continue to cook at 250 or less in a foil pan uncovered to catch some of those wonderful juices for gravy making. Pull it at 175 in the deepest part of the breast and not too close to the bone. I use quartered onions, celery, whole garlic in the breast cavity, and plenty of butter either injected or rubbed under the skin. I've also made an outstanding beer can turkey using a fosters oil can.

SmokyOkie
10-19-2009, 02:13 PM
I do mine at 325 the same as in an oven. I let it get about an hour's worth of smoke and then tent the leg and the leg/thigh joint with foil to keep it from getting overcooked befre the bird gets done. I also tent the breast at the same time.

@ 325, cooking time should be pretty close to 20 min/lb. the last hour, I remove the foil tents. I also rub it with a stick of butter every 30 minutes or so while it smokes once the skin starts to cook. And yes, just like the Cabinetmaker, I like to jamb butter and whatever else up under the skin.

Bbq Bubba
10-19-2009, 07:12 PM
I do mine at 325 the same as in an oven. I let it get about an hour's worth of smoke and then tent the leg and the leg/thigh joint with foil to keep it from getting overcooked befre the bird gets done. I also tent the breast at the same time.

@ 325, cooking time should be pretty close to 20 min/lb. the last hour, I remove the foil tents. I also rub it with a stick of butter every 30 minutes or so while it smokes once the skin starts to cook. And yes, just like the Cabinetmaker, I like to jamb butter and whatever else up under the skin.

:whathesaid:

SmokyOkie
10-19-2009, 09:32 PM
:whathesaid:

Once again, great minds work alike!:shrug:

Bbq Bubba
10-20-2009, 08:27 AM
Once again, great minds work alike!:shrug:

He he he.

I would also recommend no more than an hour per lb for brining. :msn-wink:

smokinok
10-21-2009, 09:53 AM
The nice gentleman asked for help with his turkey. :shrug: He was not expecting to hear a bunch of junk from a bunch of TURKEYS. :roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0:

antny616
10-21-2009, 10:16 AM
Ya Ya, I just want to smoke a turkey. Didnt know it would start a LOVE fest... :wings::wings:

Thanks anyway for the info. There is never a lack of help with advice on this site.

antny

Bbq Bubba
10-21-2009, 10:22 AM
Ya Ya, I just want to smoke a turkey. Didnt know it would start a LOVE fest... :wings::wings:

Thanks anyway for the info. There is never a lack of help with advice on this site.

antny

Or a lack of smartazzes.......

SmokyOkie
10-21-2009, 11:31 AM
Or folks that are full of themselves.:msn-wink: