PDA

View Full Version : Apple Butter Makin'

peculiarmike
10-11-2009, 08:25 AM
We cooked apple butter yesterday in a 30 gallon custom made copper kettle over an open fire. Made 207 pints of premium home made apple butter. The best there is. And a LOT of work.
Had a great time! Family & friends.
I smoked 2 butts and made pulled pork, probably the best I've ever. We had fatty breakfast burritos for the crowd.
And guess what? I was so busy I didn't snap a pic. Several others did and I'll see if I can get some of theirs.
Think it didn't happen? Yerazz. Ask those who have had our apple butter. We make the best. :msn-wink:

Buzzards Roost
10-11-2009, 08:52 AM
Can't let the wife read this one or I'll be on the road to Peculiar Mo. in the morning. She loved your apple butter we got at the gathering at Grove, Ok. this past summer. It didn't last a week.

BluDawg
10-11-2009, 09:03 AM
Apple butter is a personal favorite, right up there with strawberry jam and orange marmalade.. I can't eat a roasted sweet tater without a shovel full,and it makes a darn fine glaze on some bones,

BYBBQ
10-11-2009, 09:26 AM
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm the good stuff.:Drool2::Drool2:

I love good apple butter.:thumbs up:

PigCicles
10-11-2009, 11:04 AM
Mike - I'm soooo ashamed. I got roped into going to Apple Butter Makin Days at Mt. Vernon. I kept trying to tell those women that it would be better to go to the Peculiar Ranch - but something about all the booths and shopping ... ugggghhhh!!!

Congratulations on another successful year with the copper kettle. I know your Apple Butter ROCKS!

Joneser
10-11-2009, 05:10 PM
I got away from Valpo with a pint of that from Travis....good stuff! Just like the Amish make around here.

SmokyOkie
10-11-2009, 06:22 PM
I got away from Valpo with a pint of that from Travis....good stuff! Just like the Amish make around here.

Better.:msn-wink:

peculiarmike
10-11-2009, 08:43 PM
Nah. They don't make real apple butter at Mt. Vernon. It's mostly a circus any more. "Crafty" booths on the square selling stuff made in China and not much more.
Our apple butter was originaly made west of Mt. Vernon at my grandparents farm, just west of Stotts City, on the German prairie. We're just carrying on an old family tradition. (Isn't that a song?)
You shoulda been here. Would have had a MUCH better time. Better eats too. :msn-wink:

Mike - I'm soooo ashamed. I got roped into going to Apple Butter Makin Days at Mt. Vernon. I kept trying to tell those women that it would be better to go to the Peculiar Ranch - but something about all the booths and shopping ... ugggghhhh!!!

Congratulations on another successful year with the copper kettle. I know your Apple Butter ROCKS!

PigCicles
10-12-2009, 04:43 AM
I know Mike. I couldn't talk em into going up ... stinkin junk shops anyway.

They did have the big copper kettle going on the court house lawn. But I'm going to venture out and say that yours is WAY better though.

cabinetmaker
10-12-2009, 07:24 AM
Home made applebutter was always in the fridge growing up. I love the stuff. Mike's is as good as I've ever had.:msn-wink::thumbs up:

SmokyOkie
10-12-2009, 12:41 PM
I don't like apple butter, but I like Mike's apple butter.

Hey Mikey, sorry to hear that it didn't happen this year.:roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0:

PigCicles
10-12-2009, 01:07 PM
Some how - some way, next year I've gotta make it to the Peculiar Ranch to help ya'll stir ... I can stir the pot as well as anyone ya know :stir:

bbqbull
10-12-2009, 04:21 PM
I had the privalage of sampling Mike&Janes apple butter at the Royal last weekend on Thresas home made bisquits.......OMG it was the best ive ever tasted.:thumbs up:

Glad you pulled it off again this year, sounds like you all worked hard and ate well.

Mike did the neighbor guy at the Royal come and give you folks a hand?
I cant remember his name but he sure was a hoot.

Mike

SmokyOkie
10-12-2009, 08:36 PM
His name was prolly also Mike. Sound familiar?

Mike and Jane's AB is the best!

peculiarmike
10-13-2009, 08:06 AM
I had the privalage of sampling Mike&Janes apple butter at the Royal last weekend on Thresas home made bisquits.......OMG it was the best ive ever tasted.:thumbs up:

Glad you pulled it off again this year, sounds like you all worked hard and ate well.

Mike did the neighbor guy at the Royal come and give you folks a hand?
I cant remember his name but he sure was a hoot.

Mike

Nope, didn't show, and I thought he would. Name is Geff. And he was a hoot! Those guys made the worst que I've had in a long time but they had a great time. The head of their team owns Boyle's Corned Beef here in KC, big operation. Great corned beef, que stunk, literally. Heavy creosote.
I scored a quart of his homemade hot sauce though, and it is really good, disappeared fast when the wolves found it!
Got his phone number, I'm going to call him. Trade AB for hot sauce I think. :msn-wink:

peculiarmike
10-13-2009, 08:08 AM
Some how - some way, next year I've gotta make it to the Peculiar Ranch to help ya'll stir ... I can stir the pot as well as anyone ya know :stir:

:roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0: