PDA

View Full Version : My Modified Discada Cooker

Siesta Man
10-09-2009, 08:18 PM
When we moved from Mex. back to the states, in the midst of the turmoil thats always present when in the middle of moving, my prized cooking vessel was left in it's cupboard in my cook station in Cabo never to be seen again.
In desperation i combed the internet for answers. Seeing that my original discada was modified my search was mostly in vain. None were available in my style. I did however, find a 24" new plow disc for $26.00 shipping included.
That was the first step in remaking my discada.
Since I no longer have a shop at my disposal I enlisted the help of a friend of mine who does have a shop. He cut a 18" circle from the center of the disc, inverted and welded it. Then filled in the center hole. Turned out perfect. These pics are of the seasoning process. Will post cooks soon. Pics out of order, 1st is last etc. E.T.

PigCicles
10-09-2009, 09:23 PM
Kewl! Can't wait to see the fine groceries moving acrossed it. Hurry back with some more good pics.

TX Sandman
10-09-2009, 10:56 PM
:whathesaid: I can't wait to see it in action. I've thought about finding a discada, but haven't managed to convince the wife we need one. Maybe some cooks will help with that.

BigAL
10-10-2009, 06:04 AM
I also have a discada, I call it the dang hot disc. I don't use it much, maybe this winter.

Why do you like your disc like that? Do you also flip it over to use it like a wok? How did you come up w/that design?

Can't wait to see some cooks on that disc.:thumbs up:

Siesta Man
10-12-2009, 03:43 PM
I also have a discada, I call it the dang hot disc. I don't use it much, maybe this winter.

Why do you like your disc like that? Do you also flip it over to use it like a wok? How did you come up w/that design?

Can't wait to see some cooks on that disc.:thumbs up:

Hi Al and Rob,

This pic has my new and old discada. The small one i use mainly for cooking burritos. Most of the time it's breakfast burritos plain wrapped to eat out of hand or sometimes plated with hash browns and your choice of red or green sauce.

My new, replacement, the large one is for making huge portions of carne asada tacos for parties. I roto a 20 to 25 lb. chuckroll in my ezq 8" basket to rare, then on to the slicer to thin slice and in the cooler.

Heat the discada to med. pour some left over brisket au-jus into the pan and add whole green onions, jalapeno's, and medium slices of nopales ( cactus ), and simmer in the au-jus. The inverted dome has two purposes. Just before adding the meat to the tortillas, slide the portions up the side and let the excess juice drain back to vegies. If the meat is to wet it makes the tortillas soggy. It's also used to heat your tortillas. All that needs to be done is serve them up and enjoy.:drooling: :drooling: :thumbs up: E.T.

Siesta Man
10-12-2009, 03:48 PM
:whathesaid: I can't wait to see it in action. I've thought about finding a discada, but haven't managed to convince the wife we need one. Maybe some cooks will help with that.

Hi Sandman, Here are my two discada cookers.
The big one you saw in my earlier post which is 23" in dia. and the small one is cast iron and is 14" in dia.

The small one i use mainly for buritto mixtures, plain wrapped or plated with rice and beans and your choice of red or green sauce, but mainly for breakfast burittos:eating: and the large one i use for preparing carne asada taco's by the gross for large parties. I cook a 20 to 25 lb. chuckroll in my ezque 8" basket to rare, thin slice, lightly chop and finish on the big one in controled portions so that the meat doesn't get overcooked along with whole green onions, jalapenos, and nopalitos ( cactus paddles ). The inverted dome is to heat the tortillas and drain the excess meat juices back onto the vegies:drooling::drooling:.Should be having a cook in the near future.:thumbs up:
E.T.

californiasmokin
01-03-2010, 07:24 PM
MMMMMMMMM breakfast burritos!!!

Cool disks.

nascarchuck
01-03-2010, 08:08 PM
Cant wait to see some grub off of that!!!