PDA

View Full Version : For those who don't know yet!

Capt Dan
10-08-2009, 09:12 PM
This was posted at another one of my favorite sites, an outdoors site, and yes, I go as Spanky there. Please read it, and understand how hard it is for me to post stuff like this. I just don't want anyone else to go through what I am going thru.

Quote:

Many of the folks here know how involved I am with our fisheries, our steelheaders groups, competition BBQ, and helping friends and family when they need it. I need a favor from the men here on this site.I want all of the men here who are over the age of 40 to make a promise to me and your loved ones. Its a simple promise, and if you keep the promise, you may be rewarded in a huge way, if you don't, It may cost you your life.

PLEASE GET A PSA TEST!!!

I have had some health issues for a lil while now and planned on keeping it to myself, but I can't risk it anymore. If one more person or friend of mine gets cancer because they didn't know, I would not be able to forgive myself

Without going into too many personal issues or a long drawn out horror story, let me just say.............If I would have known at 40 what I have been forced to learn in the last 6 months, I could have prevented myself and my loved ones alot of pain and suffering.

Yes I have stage 4 prostate Cancer, I am 48 yrs old, and yes thats fairly young for this disease. I had no idea untill I started having some urinary symtoms like you see advertised on the tv.I thought I could just go see the doc, get the slimey finger and he would give me a pill for BPH.http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/forum/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif

Well that was in May, since then I have had many slimey fingers and other instruments parked there, peices cut out, scans and more scans and trips to U of M, local hospitals and I am a patient at the SW michigan Cancer center here in Kalamazoo. My cancer has spread from the prostate to the bladder, lymp nodes and ureters.I will not be cured from this cancer, I will be fighting it for the rest of my life. I have been told that could be anywhere from 18 months to 7 years.
I rarely post personal stuff about myself here, and I am doing it now for one reason, not for pity or a bunch of attention, but to hopefully bring awareness to this disease.
When men die, almost all of them have some form of prostate cancer, many do not die from it,many don't know they have it. It affects different guys differently.

I have alot of friends here and I don't want them to go through what I am going through. Please guys, get checked, its just a vial of blood, just like when you get your lipids test done.Early detection is key to this disease. If some male in your family has had prostate cancer, you are 13 times more likely to have it yourself.Thanks for reading this thread, I am stepping down( gingerly at that) from my soapbox now.

end quote:

Since I posted that many of the guys have gotten tested that would have probably waited, even one of them has found his psa to be high, and he does have the early stages of prostate cancer. I am glad he found it early, perhaps he can get some treatments early that are not available for myself. Some of my very good friends are giving me a fundraiser type celebration, a " roast" of sorts, where they get to make fun of me and make up for all the jokes and wise cracks I have handed down to them. I will post a link to the site. I hope the mods don't mind, its a hunting and fishing site, so there is no competition towards any members or threads.
If any of you are close enough and want to participate, please do. I would love to see you there.

http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=302964

The most important thing to me is for you men to get tested. We know we don't take care of ourselves as well as we should. Our families deserve better.I wish I was hearing about this from someone instead of living the nightmare and telling the story.

As you can imagine, I am not rolling over and ready to die. I am trying my best to stay active, and enjoy my family and friends. Hopefully if I can last a few years, the research facilities will find a new drug or treatment option.

Thanks for listening to my babble.:blushing:

PigCicles
10-08-2009, 09:43 PM
Personally I don't see it as a babble Dan. I am personally scheduled for a few tests in Dec and PSA being one of them.

It's best to find out as early as possible - especially when there is a history of cancers in your family history.

Well done Capt Dan.

chef schwantz
10-08-2009, 09:45 PM
Hope it works out for ya! Hang in there.:thumbs up:

BA_LoKo
10-08-2009, 10:04 PM
Dan, that's not babble at all. It's sage advice. I, for one, appreciate you posting the information. I hope all of the men here will follow it. Cancer is nothing to fool around with.

TX Sandman
10-08-2009, 10:10 PM
As the other guys said, it isn't babble, Dan. Sometomes it takes a scary story to get folks to get some of those "needless" tests.

californiasmokin
10-08-2009, 10:28 PM
Dan,
I applaud you for going public with your situation.It is not always easy to let people into your personal life.

BluDawg
10-08-2009, 11:50 PM
Dan that is not babble.It takes a mighty BIG MAN with courage and a big heart for his friends to stand up and share a very personal story like yours. We are here for you if you need some one to talk to. Stay strong and keep the faith.They make strides in medicine daily.

Capt Dan
10-09-2009, 08:47 AM
Thanks guys.

:sign0092:

Joneser
10-09-2009, 08:53 AM
Damn, Dan, I'm sure you don't want to hear it, but this news saddens me. I know I'm still relatively young and don't get tested for that yet, but I'm going to make sure the Dr. Checks at my next annual appt.
You will be in my prayers Dan.

peculiarmike
10-09-2009, 09:18 AM
Geez Louise Dan! It's a good thing you posted this. NOT a good thing you are going through this. I'm with brother Joneser, it saddens me.
I like your attitude, go for it Dan.

Capt Dan
10-09-2009, 10:23 AM
what makes me so mad is how the insurance companies dictate the procedures or steps that the medical people follow. At one time the age to get the rectal ( rubber glove finger) exam and psa was 40 yrs old. The insurance companies lobbied that it was not need till 50, and thats where we are today at age 48. Now i am not blaming them for my illness, but if I woulda got checked at 40 and then again at 45, ther is a good chance I coulda cought this early enough to live a longer life. The doctors think I have had this for a couple years.:shrug:

Your psa is supposed to be between 0 and 4, higher than that, they start thinking about biopsies and other tests and scans. My first psa was 61, 2 weeks later it was 67 and reached as high as 104 before the hormone drugs began to lower it. I am happy to say that it is last recorded at 5.7 2 weeks ago. The psa is down, but i feel like sheet every day, have pains I never had before, and take so many meds, I don't know what I am doing half the time. It has been the summer form hell. One of the brighter times of my summer was the Valpo outing. I really had a good time there and got to meet some awesome folks. Add to that my fishing day with Okie and Chargrilled , and I smile everytime I think about that weekend.

There are tons of good people here, and I really appreciate your friendships, and you thoughts and prayers. I am positive they help me alot.So I don't want to be on the soapbox anymore, I just want you guys to take the neccesary steps to keep yourself healthy. This type of cancer has few cures if it goes beyond the prostate.It doesn't seem to matter if you drink, or smoke, or are an athelete, or a slug. If you are a black man or hispanic, you have a greater chance of getting this disease, and if you have relatives who have had prostate issues, you are at a high risk of having problems yourself. So Please, If you are 40, go get the blood test, its like 20 bucks.

OK, back to smoking dead animals!:msn-wink:

rwc565
10-09-2009, 11:02 AM
One thing I would like to add to this post is get a colonoscopy done too, I was recently diagnosed with stage 3 colon cancer. Luckily, they were able to remove all the cancer. But, I'm having to endure 6 months of chemo. I had no symptoms, I just had it done as part of a physical that my wife insisted on me taking. Since then, I, like Dan,have been on a soapbox to all of my friends and family to get this done. Had I waited another 6 months, the Dr. said that I would have been terminal. I owe my wife my life for making me get a physical.

BTW, I forgot to say that Dan you will be in my Prayers tonight. I wish you all the best.

Buzzards Roost
10-09-2009, 11:21 AM
Dan, I'm sending a hole bunch of feel good endorphins your way. Hope you get ever one of them today. We'll be lifting you up ever day, count on it.

flying illini
10-09-2009, 08:26 PM
Dan, Been lifting this up in prayer since I found out. Glad you keep spreading the word to others.

BA_LoKo
10-09-2009, 09:54 PM
Gentlemen, I continue to keep you in my thoughts. I will make an effort to have an exam too, since I'm 48 years old.

SmokyOkie
10-09-2009, 10:50 PM
Dan, I think you already know that you are in my prayers.

As to babbling, I, for one, am honored that you would think of me well enough to babble my direction.

You know that should there be anything that I can do to be of help, I am here.

BigAL
10-10-2009, 06:12 AM
In our prayers, Dan. Great post.:thumbs up:

Chargrilled
10-10-2009, 12:57 PM
Capt Spanky keep yer attitude just like it is man, I met a wonderful, thoughtful man this summer at the Valpo gathering and can not wait to see ya again!! As I am turning 36 next year this is a wake up call and you can rest assured that this changed my out look brother. I HATE hospitals, insurance, doctors, etc. but as stated my family and I deserve more so I promise you that I will be checked.

Thanks.

the_selling_blues_man
10-10-2009, 08:35 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about your health problems Dan. You are in our prayers.

flying illini
10-11-2009, 01:38 PM
Gentlemen, I continue to keep you in my thoughts. I will make an effort to have an exam too, since I'm 48 years old.

I am due a physical @ yr end will get the PSA test. (I'm 42 with 43 close) Another possibility is a colonoscopy. (really ok to wait till 50)

rwc565
10-12-2009, 02:01 PM
I am due a physical @ yr end will get the PSA test. (I'm 42 with 43 close) Another possibility is a colonoscopy. (really ok to wait till 50)
Dont wait until 50, see my post at the top of page 2.

flying illini
10-12-2009, 09:21 PM
Dont wait until 50, see my post at the top of page 2.

I will very likely go ahead on that , too. Bro (ENT) was talking to an oncologist friend who thinks it is ok to wait till 50 so I mentioned that. But as my bro mentioned it is definitely debated within medical community so I will do it now.

lazy
10-13-2009, 03:43 PM
Sorry to hear of this, Cap't. We're sending prayers out for you, also.

Thanks for the "encouragement" to get checked. I realized I'm about 10 months overdue for a physical, so I called today to schedule. I do the colonoscope every 3 years, as my father lost about 18 inches of his colon to cancer when he was in his early 60's. Survived, but eating habits had to change. Doc finds and removes a polyp or two every other time. Found out by accident right after the first time that I tend to be a "bleeder".

Hang in there and keep pluggin' away!

jminion
10-14-2009, 07:33 AM
Dan
I'm very sadden to hear about what you are dealing with. Your right about men not seeing a Doc as often as they should and getting tests that can discover problems soon enough.

Insurance companies, these companies would be shut down if they were providing another type of service in this manor.

My thoughts go out to you and your family.

JamesB
10-14-2009, 11:47 PM
Hey Dan... I don't know you personally, but I will be praying that you whip this nasty stuff!

I have a few issues as it is, but I will def. be sure and have this test done at my next physical, I'm 43 with 2 young daughters (12 and 13) and have a lot of fathering to do... Thank you for the heads up!

Capt Dan
10-23-2009, 11:35 AM
Thanks folks for the kind words and advice.
A few of my bestest friends gave me a lil party last saturday with hopes of raising some money for my med bills and such. Take a minute to let it load, its a great slideshow.

http://markandchrislundin.com/danparty.wmv

SmokyOkie
10-23-2009, 02:11 PM
Great is an understatement Dan. I can't begin to list the gambit of emotions that it evoked. It must be a wonderful feeling to know that you have so many friends and acquaintances that are behind you in your time of need.

Thank you for sharing.

BTW, did anybody ever tell you that you clean up real well for a short fat guy?:msn-wink::sign0092:

BigAL
10-23-2009, 03:48 PM
:sign0092: Dan. That was truely special.:thumbs up:

Joneser
10-23-2009, 04:00 PM
Wow, that was a great thing for your pals to do for you, Dan.

BA_LoKo
10-23-2009, 08:09 PM
Thank you for sharing that, Dan. I really wish I could have been there. That is quite a collection of what appears to be very good people having a great time. I'm sure it was a blast!