PDA

View Full Version : Favorite peppers

SmokyOkie
02-22-2008, 11:07 AM
I was looking at Richoso's signature and noticed that he listed out his favorite peppers. I though it would be a fun thing to have everyone list out their favorites and mostunusual as well.

If we can get some input, then we can turn it into a poll and see what the overall faves are here @ The Joint.

My favorites are Jalapenos, serranos, aji dulce and poblanos.

How about yours?

Geek with Fire
02-22-2008, 01:09 PM
I was looking at Richoso's signature and noticed that he listed out his favorite peppers. I though it would be a fun thing to have everyone list out their favorites and mostunusual as well.

If we can get some input, then we can turn it into a poll and see what the overall faves are here @ The Joint.

My favorites are Jalapenos, serranos, aji dulce and poblanos.

How about yours?

I like jaleps and habs (in moderation), but I'm afraid you are going to catch holy heck from the chili-head purists out there when you call 'em peppers!

SmokyOkie
02-22-2008, 02:32 PM
I'm no stranger to catching holy heck Josh. Can you imagine?:shrug:

If you like the flavor of Habs but not the heat, try the aji dulce. It's a south American member of the hab family. I learned about them when I was in Venezuela.

http://www.chileplants.com/search.asp?ProductCode=CHIAJD2&SizeID=&ChileForm=&SearchMode=&LengthID=&WidthID=&UseID=&Color=&Location=&Keyword=aji%20dulce&HeatID=&TypeID=&CategoryID=1&SeasonID=&NewProduct=&Letter=&SearchButton=Pressed

They've got that nice "peachy" flavor like a hab but less than 500 Scov units. You can use as many as you want.

peculiarmike
02-23-2008, 10:01 AM
Include where you get your plants, seeds so we can grow a bunch.
I generally grow jalapenos, but want to try some others this year.

TX Sandman
02-23-2008, 10:46 AM
If you like the flavor of Habs but not the heat, try the aji dulce. ... They've got that nice "peachy" flavor like a hab but less than 500 Scov units. You can use as many as you want.

Never heard of this one before, but it sounds like it'd be perfect for my kids.

Favorite chiles for me are jalapenos, habs, and poblanos. I haven't tried growing some, but I've thought about it a few times.

SmokyOkie
02-25-2008, 10:54 AM
Include where you get your plants, seeds so we can grow a bunch.
I generally grow jalapenos, but want to try some others this year.

Click the link in post #3. It'll take you straight to the aji dulce page. If you go to the main menu, you'll see all their other stuff as well.

TX Sandman
02-25-2008, 11:12 AM
Click the link in post #3. It'll take you straight to the aji dulce page. If you go to the main menu, you'll see all their other stuff as well.

Thanks for the link. I may order a plant and try them for myself.

As for jalapenos, my dad grows the "Mucho Nacho" variety. He really likes it, and they work great for ABTs, IMO. Not real hot, but enough bite to be tasty, with a few that'll surprise ya.

http://www.chileplants.com/search.asp?ProductCode=CHIMUN&SizeID=&ChileForm=&SearchMode=simple&LengthID=&WidthID=&HeightID=&OrientationID=&FoliageID=&FleshID=&UseID=&Color=&Location=&Keyword=jalapeno&HeatID=&TypeID=&CategoryID=1&SeasonID=&NewProduct=&Letter=&SearchButton=Pressed

SmokyOkie
02-25-2008, 11:40 AM
They have like a $35 minimum order Rob, so if you only want a plant or two, go in w/ some friends.

I've grown the Mucho too and got some really nice huge peppers. thanx for reminding me. I had a memory lapse as to which hybrid to grow this year.

TX Sandman
02-25-2008, 11:57 AM
They have like a $35 minimum order Rob, so if you only want a plant or two, go in w/ some friends.

Well, :censored2: !

Maybe I can get together with Dad. Nah, probably not. I think he already ordered his plants.

Happy Cooker
03-12-2008, 08:41 PM
I am going to try to grow some peppers this year. These are Naga Jolokia peppers. They are rated at 800,000 to 1,000,000 scoville units. I am not sure what I will use them for yet,but I will give them a shot. The site is http://www.ushotstuff.com/ They have lots of other peppers too. JT

TX Sandman
03-12-2008, 09:58 PM
The site is (edited) They have lots of other peppers too. JT

They have a lot of hot stuff, but I didn't see peppers. Are you *sure* that's the right URL?

Edit: Not the right URL. It's http://www.ushotstuff.com/ . Thanks QnB.

TX Sandman
03-12-2008, 10:13 PM
Found a source for aji dulce peppers. It's seeds, not plants, but a lot cheaper than $35. This place sells a packet of 10+ seeds (I got 16) for $3.75 total, no minimum.

http://www.caribbeanseeds.com/ajidulceseeds.htm

Haven't planted 'em yet, but that's a weekend project. We'll see how it works out.

SmokyOkie
03-13-2008, 09:41 AM
Have you ever grown bhut jolokia? I understand that its even hotter. I don't know why either, but I think I'll grow some this year.

Has anybody ever grown peter peppers? file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/COMPAQ%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.jpg http://www.chileplants.com/search.asp?ProductCode=CHIPTR&ChileForm=&SizeID=&SearchMode=simple&LengthID=&WidthID=&HeightID=&OrientationID=&FoliageID=&FleshID=&UseID=&Color=&Location=&Keyword=peter%20red&HeatID=&TypeID=&CategoryID=1,9&SeasonID=&NewProduct=&Letter=&SearchButton=Pressed

Here's a link for the Bhut Jolokia: http://www.chileplants.com/search.asp?CategoryID=1,9&Keyword=bhut%20jolokia&SearchButton=Pressed

PigCicles
03-13-2008, 10:28 AM
It's amazing... as much as I like hot peppers and spicy (beyond the normal) food and I don't grow peppers. I might need to start.

SmokyOkie
03-13-2008, 12:44 PM
They're a lot of fun to grow, with all the different shapes, sizes and colors. You ought to go take a look arounf the link I posted. Excellent selection of heirloom tomatoes as well.

Papa Tom
03-13-2008, 09:29 PM
I guess that my favorites would be Anaheims and Poblanos in all their different variations then jalapeņos (including chipotles).
Anaheim and Poblano variations:
Anaheim, developed by Emilo Ortega c1900.
AKA Long green chile W TX & NM Also Long red chile when ripe same regions.
AKA Hatch when grown in Southern NM
AKA Chimayo when grown in Northern NM (The oldest strain considered superior).
Colorado is the dried ripe Anaheim
AKA Red Chile these are the chiles found woven into the long "ristras" seen hanging.
Guajillo and NM Long Red are substitutes.
Improved culivars:
Big Jim
Sandia
Espanola
Pablano, origfr Puebla Mexico
AKA Pasilla on the West Coast (fresh or dried)
Ancho is dried ripe Pablano, the chile in chili powder.
Mulatto is a close relative that may be substituted.

Richoso1
04-27-2008, 03:21 PM
Tim, one odd thing about the use of bhut jolokia, with some folks it is known to thin out your blood. I have thin blood and the doctor asled me if I was using bhut jolokia. Not the answer to my problem, just a general headsup.

SmokyOkie
04-28-2008, 09:50 AM
Well, it's been about 4 weeks. Out of the 16 seeds, I had 9 plants sprout. For my first time trying this, I'm pretty proud of that.

They're currently growing in the kitchen windowsill, where they get afternoon sun, and light all day long.
More pics as they grow up.

I never had too much problem getting them to sprout, I just was never able to get the sprouts to turn into good viable plants. I always planted 2-3 seeds in each cell figuring I could always thin them if they all came up. I also usually plant two pepper plants per hole.

Tim, one odd thing about the use of bhut jolokia, with some folks it is known to thin out your blood. I have thin blood and the doctor asled me if I was using bhut jolokia. Not the answer to my problem, just a general headsup.

Thanks rich. I could prolly stand to use a blood thinner, but I don't think my posterior could stand any bhut jolokia at all. I planted them mostly for a novelty nut I'll prolly dry and grind a few for instant heat when I need it.

nmayeux
05-03-2008, 08:11 PM
Interesting thread guys!

I grow tabasco peppers for hot sauce, japs and bells for almost everything, banana peppers for the wife and pickling, and habs for the boiled peanuts. Since my garden is basically a flower bed, I only have one of each type, as well as 4 different tomato plants. In some of my other beds, I have strawberries and cucumbers.

This is the extent of my gardening experience...

Willkat98
05-04-2008, 07:21 AM
Interesting thread guys!

I grow tabasco peppers for hot sauce, japs and bells for almost everything, banana peppers for the wife and pickling, and habs for the boiled peanuts. Since my garden is basically a flower bed, I only have one of each type, as well as 4 different tomato plants. In some of my other beds, I have strawberries and cucumbers.

This is the extent of my gardening experience...

I think the real question is, do you piss on your peppers?

(NOT off topic. Lots of people piss on their peppers. See this:

http://www.liquidgoldbook.com/
)

Grow with the Flow

Farking classic

nmayeux
05-04-2008, 08:34 AM
They will probably recieve that kind of attention after a long night of drinking and surfing the net... However, if you saw the brown marks in the yard from my dog, you would probably dispute the logic from that book!

SmokyOkie
05-04-2008, 04:52 PM
I think the real question is, do you piss on your peppers?

(NOT off topic. Lots of people piss on their peppers. See this:

http://www.liquidgoldbook.com/
)

Grow with the Flow

Farking classic

Where in the world do you come up with all that crazy stuff?

Willkat98
05-04-2008, 07:11 PM

LOL

I piss you not (no pun intended) that the various nutrients in urine are commonly used in pepper production.

I had a friend on another site that was a bona fide pepper expert let me in on this secret along time ago.

I was not joking posting it, and can post more links if anyone really care to read more.

Put those beers your drinking to a good use, and piss on your garden!!

TX Sandman
05-04-2008, 07:43 PM

I'm afraid to ask.

I piss you not (no pun intended) that the various nutrients in urine are commonly used in pepper production.

I've driven the "honey wagon" on Grandpa's farm before. I don't think I'll be installing a "honey pot" in the boy's room anytime soon, though. :msn-wink:

Pics are *not* needed, thank you.

Willkat98
05-04-2008, 08:45 PM
Not trying to stray too far off course, but I'm all about recycling:

http://www.experiencefestival.com/urine

SmokyOkie
05-05-2008, 09:47 AM
I would be a little concerned about using very much urine because of the urea content. Urea is very high in nitrogen and high nitrogen levels tend to produce excessive leaf production and top growth in vegetables while detracting from fruit production. Extemely high nitrogen levels even kill the plant.

but if it'll make you happy Bill, I'l donate a 6 packs worth to my peppers. I just hope the neighbors don't mind me out in my garden performing the task.:roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0::sign0092:

nmayeux
05-05-2008, 05:03 PM
Well Bill, urine good company!

californiasmokin
07-14-2009, 06:02 PM
I would be a little concerned about using very much urine because of the urea content. Urea is very high in nitrogen and high nitrogen levels tend to produce excessive leaf production and top growth in vegetables while detracting from fruit production. Extemely high nitrogen levels even kill the plant.

but if it'll make you happy Bill, I'l donate a 6 packs worth to my peppers. I just hope the neighbors don't mind me out in my garden performing the task.:roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0::sign0092:

Now I know why you drink a few cold beverages each evening:msn-wink: :roflmaoha0: