PDA

View Full Version : Dirty Rice

smokinok
09-17-2009, 02:59 PM
I had to pass this along as it is too good not to. Received this by request from another site and the wife and I prepared over the weekend.

1 Package Savoie's Rice Dressing Mix (Frozen Canjun Dish) Herberts In Tulsa
1 lb. ground beef
1 lb. andoullie sausage
3 cups of cooked rice
1 large onion (chopped)
2 ribs of celery (diced)
2 cloves garlic (minced)
1 bunch of green onions (tops & all chopped)
2 tablespoons parsley (chopped fine)
Seasonings (salt, black pepper, red pepper, onion & garlic powder)all to taste

Cook your rice as you would normally in covered container, etc.

Cast Iron Dutch Oven to brown ground beef, when browned add the andoullie sausage, celery, chopped onions, minced garlic and stir all in and let veggies wilt. When the veggies have wilted add the Savoie's dressing mix. (I added frozen). Using the dressing container to get it all, add 2 containers of water. Then season lightly, let cook for 30 minutes and taste, add seasonings to taste. Turn down to LOW, place lid on DO and cook real slow and low, the longer it cooks the better the taste. Add 2 cayenne peppers (optional) you might want more or less.

About 5 minutes before you add the rice, add your green onions and parsley. Start stirring in you rice a small amount at a time because if you don't it will be too dry. Get to the consistency that you want (wet - dry). You probably will have rice left over. ENJOY :wow: Great dish.

SmokyOkie
09-17-2009, 10:17 PM
I will have to look for the mix next time I go see Cajun Ed Richard!

We use a lot of Hebert's "meat stock" It makes a much plainer dirty rive, but is great just stirred in to fresh steamed rice and then baked in an 8x8.

thanx for sharing.

Do you use Poche's andouille?

smokinok
09-18-2009, 06:21 AM
Yes the dirty rice dressing mix is in the frozen foods as well as the Poche's.

He sure has great food products. I especially enjoy his deboned chickens and just love his stuffed duck.

TX Sandman
09-19-2009, 12:02 AM
:wings: Thanks for posting this recipe. I love dirty rice, but never made it myself. Looks simple.

I'd like to know more about the Rice Dressing Mix, though. Is it a liquid, a mix of spices, what? I've never heard of such a thing, and I'm curious.

Buzzards Roost
09-19-2009, 01:53 PM
:whathesaid: Do we have to come to Tulsa to find it.

SmokyOkie
09-19-2009, 08:37 PM
Yes the dirty rice dressing mix is in the frozen foods as well as the Poche's.

He sure has great food products. I especially enjoy his deboned chickens and just love his stuffed duck.

So are you using Ed's meat stock to make dirty rice, or another brand?

Also, somewhere here on the site, I did a pictorial on how to bone out birds and a recipe for pork stuffing just like Ed's.

:wings: Thanks for posting this recipe. I love dirty rice, but never made it myself. Looks simple.

I'd like to know more about the Rice Dressing Mix, though. Is it a liquid, a mix of spices, what? I've never heard of such a thing, and I'm curious.

The stuff I use is a dark brown meat stock that you just mix in with cooked rice. It has all the veggies and goodies already in it.

:whathesaid: Do we have to come to Tulsa to find it.

You can order it from the link I posted earlier in this thread.:msn-wink:

Buzzards Roost
09-19-2009, 08:43 PM
I guess you'll have to put it in red I can't find it.

SmokyOkie
09-19-2009, 09:09 PM
Sorry Buzz, it must have been another thread.

try here (http://www.hebertsmeats.com/asccustompages/categories.asp?categoryID=15)

Buzzards Roost
09-19-2009, 09:12 PM
:sign0092: But, I was lookin for an excuse to go to T town

SmokyOkie
09-19-2009, 09:19 PM
Then c'mon down!

Was the dutch oven comp in Ponca this weekend?

Someone told me it was next weekend, but I thought you had said it was this weekend.

Buzzards Roost
09-19-2009, 09:24 PM
It was last weekend. It was in New Kirk just out of Ponca City. But they are having the National Dutchoven Gathering in Oct.

smokinok
09-20-2009, 03:53 PM
Sorry for the delay in answering your question. The Dressing Mix is a frozen mixture of gizzards diced very fine and blended with other spices, etc. (I don't actually know what is in it) It should be in most any Cajun type store. In Tulsa we are very, very fortunate to have Mr. Ed Richard and his famous Turduckhen as well as many other AUTHENTIC CAJUN foods. He has a web site and a search for Herbert's in Tulsa or Turduckhen should bring it up.

TX Sandman
09-20-2009, 04:46 PM
No worries about a late reply. It's all good.

I did a search for Savoie's Rice Dressing and found a link to their website. It has a link from there to a place where you can order their products online.

http://www.savoiesfoods.com/products.html

SmokyOkie
09-20-2009, 08:36 PM
Sorry for the delay in answering your question. The Dressing Mix is a frozen mixture of gizzards diced very fine and blended with other spices, etc. (I don't actually know what is in it) It should be in most any Cajun type store. In Tulsa we are very, very fortunate to have Mr. Ed Richard and his famous Turduckhen as well as many other AUTHENTIC CAJUN foods. He has a web site and a search for Herbert's in Tulsa or Turducken should bring it up.I posted a link to Hebert's a couple posts earlier. My question is whether you are buying Ed's meat stock, or another brand of something similar. He used to call his neat stock dirty rice mix but changed the name to meat stock for regulatory reasons.

If you are using a different product, I sure would like to try some.