PDA

View Full Version : Rub Questions

Joneser
09-10-2009, 07:49 AM
I've been doing some thinking about selling my rub. I know a few of you have done that and wondered if anyone can get me started in the right direction.
I have the recipe, just need to know where to go from here. What kind of investment should I expect?
I think the marketing part of it would be easier once I had the packaged product in hand.
Thanks in advance. :sign0092:

Chargrilled
09-10-2009, 08:49 AM
I know SO has looked into that with the rooster booster so I am sure he has some insight Brian. Remember you got your 1st customer right here brother!!!:msn-wink:

chef schwantz
09-10-2009, 09:18 AM
Do you plan on making and packaging it yourself, or having that done by a specialty firm? Thats the first big question you need to figure out.

Joneser
09-10-2009, 09:37 AM
I guess I'd have to weigh the options. I'm leaning toward having a spice blender do it for me...packaging and such.

SmokyOkie
09-10-2009, 10:08 AM
I would only advise you to walk slowly.

Spice blenders will have a minimum order, prolly 50 -75 cases at the very least, and the smaller the batch, the higher the price.

You don't want to buy so much that the product sits around and goes stale before you can sell it. I mean, if you're new on the market, you don't want folks' first experience to be less than the best.

They real key is to start with small specialty shops and get them to buy a little. If it takes off, you can then take it to a distributor and they will get into the mainline retail market, but they won't be at all interested until you already ahve a customer base. Kind of a catch 22.

It will take a lot of your time and a good deal of salesmanship to get the customer base to start. You will need to decide whether on not you have the time.

That's kinda where I'm at. I batched up a few cases myself, gave some away and got folks to try it just to see how well it would be received. So far, just about everybody that tried it told me they liked it, but the real test will be to see how many want to buy more. If that goes well, then I'll know I have a viable product for the marketeplace.

I don't know as I got to try any of your rub up at Valpo ( My memory isn't real good these days), but I would like to try some if you get it together.

On the subject, does anybody need any more Rooster Booster?:blushing:

If you do decide to do this, you really ought to keep us posted on the process and how it goes for you.

chef schwantz
09-10-2009, 10:15 AM
I guess I'd have to weigh the options. I'm leaning toward having a spice blender do it for me...packaging and such.
That is probably the easiest, most hasselfree route. If you do it yourself, you may want to check with your local health/food inspector. They may require you to use a licensed facility ofr blending and packaging. Farmers markets are great place to start, and you may think about donating some for prizes at fundraisers, church bazaars etc, just to got it out there. Make sure you have it properly labeled for ingredients, and be sure to have something on the label so they can call you up for more when its gone.

Joneser
09-10-2009, 10:15 AM
Thanks for the info, Tim. I've been working on a little networking, and may prepare a small batch run. I'll need to order bottles and get a label worked up. I'll surely sample out quite a few bottles, but I have a lot of work to do before then.

Chargrilled
09-10-2009, 10:31 AM
[quote=SmokyOkie;50208]

On the subject, does anybody need any more Rooster Booster?:blushing:

quote]

Tim we are on our last bottle out of 6 so I will be hollerin at ya soon:msn-wink:

I cant remember if Brian has his rub on the ribs or butts:shrug: in Valpo.

Joneser
09-10-2009, 11:49 AM
No, I didn't bring any of my rub, I didn't think I had any made up and didn't have the time to do a batch, so I brought Wolfes. I did find a little when I cleaned out my spice cabinet, so it reminded me to ask....

PigCicles
09-10-2009, 12:23 PM
IOn the subject, does anybody need any more Rooster Booster?:blushing:

Rooster Booster?? I've never got any ... PM me with the costs buster. I might even be inclined to smoke up some chicken parts.

Ohhh yeah and Brian - keep us in touch with how you go about it. I know it comes up every now and then.

Joneser
09-10-2009, 12:34 PM
Hmmmm....maybe I'll start a little focus group with a few members to get some feed back. I can probably churn out a few samples to send your way, in exchange for a little feedback. If anyone objects, shoot me a PM.

chef schwantz
09-10-2009, 12:43 PM
Hmmmm....maybe I'll start a little focus group with a few members to get some feed back. I can probably churn out a few samples to send your way, in exchange for a little feedback. If anyone objects, shoot me a PM.

I volunteer, and I may be able to help you out with some of the regulatory BS.

Butt Lover's
09-10-2009, 03:35 PM
Just some costs estimates I have run into over the last few months. It was going to cost me about $750 for my fist batch. That was 250 bottles(i think) with the labels included. That did not include the artwork for the label and that did not include legal costs such as a bar code. The company was Cedar Hill Seasonings in Edmond OK.

GrillDaddy
09-11-2009, 10:00 AM
I've been making and selling rubs for about 5 years now - Grill Daddy's. Its more of a hobbie business than anything else. We blend and pack our own in a commercial kitchen that was not being used at my real business which happens to be a packaging company. I would tell you to spend some time thinking about packaging. When you are sitting on a shelf next to all the others, consumers will be making purchasing decisions based on what they see. If you want more packaging help, PM me.

These guys have given alot of good advice. I would recommend forming a LLC, in case some consumer makes a bogus or real claim against you. I would also tell you to get a website up and running (you can check mine at www.grilldaddys.com) with a merchant account and promote it with a press release online, that you can write yourself (check out prweb.com). Get yourself into a local store and plan on being there Saturdays and/or Sundays doing demo's. We use a George Forman grill to cook on when we demo- the more the better, well sell as much in a day when we demo as we do in 2-4 weeks just sitting on a shelf.

I hope that helps, good luck. You have a good name.

Bbq Bubba
09-11-2009, 10:44 PM
Spice blenders will have a minimum order, prolly 50 -75 cases at the very least, and the smaller the batch, the higher the price.

Ouch!

I got mine done for 2 bucks a lb with a 50 lb min. first order.
I can't make it as cheap as i can buy it from them and it's quality ingredients.
I'm packaging myself but only because i have a commercial kitchen, otherwise it's not bad to have done if you already have the art for the label.
PM me for the info or better yet, call me!

SmokyOkie
09-11-2009, 10:56 PM
I will do that. do your guys package as well, cartons and all?

GrillDaddy
09-12-2009, 08:38 AM
I was talking more about help with materials and design, but I suppose we could pack as well.

Umpa
09-17-2009, 11:16 AM
brian... ran accross a guy at the comp that suggested this place. he has 7oz shakers of his pork spice and steak spice. his cost 2.59 each...no label. i think he said the min was 25lbs...which isn't a lot of spice really. very easy to work with he said,...

http://www.memphi.net (http://www.memphi.net/)

ask for Derenda. now i'm sure that cost equate out to whats in the rub... but its a lower end start. they cater to a lot of MIM teams i guess..
good luck

I've been doing some thinking about selling my rub. I know a few of you have done that and wondered if anyone can get me started in the right direction.
I have the recipe, just need to know where to go from here. What kind of investment should I expect?
I think the marketing part of it would be easier once I had the packaged product in hand.
Thanks in advance. :sign0092: