PDA

View Full Version : Got a huge booking offer

Partyshack BBQ
09-03-2009, 01:18 PM
400 ppl +/- for brisket and butt plus sides. I guess we got famous in a hurry, it came from the dinner I cooked at the AOB. Its in Dallas, TX and I priced really high since its basically 2 days off work. I haven't fully committed but they did. I think I can parlay this into a catering trailer that I have my eye on.

PigCicles
09-03-2009, 01:49 PM
OHHH YEAH! :cheer: Commit to it and gather up your help. And when it happens you need pics - for us and yourself.

Best to ya buster!

Joneser
09-03-2009, 02:45 PM
Way to go, brother! Best of luck to you!

californiasmokin
09-03-2009, 04:49 PM
Happy for you!

Considering our economic times you should be very proud:thumbs up:

Butt Lover's
09-03-2009, 05:58 PM
Congrats Bro!

SmokyOkie
09-03-2009, 09:10 PM
You'll need to buy a bigger smoker.:D

Congrats.:thumbs up:

Partyshack BBQ
09-04-2009, 02:48 PM
OHHH YEAH! :cheer: Commit to it and gather up your help. And when it happens you need pics - for us and yourself.

Best to ya buster!

We get so busy doing these things. We don't have a lot of extra time but i'll try if I do it. Like Tim said, I would have to buy a bigger smoker. Ironsides and the bw's can't cook it. We were stretched at the AOB and that was 200 ppl. I just don't know if I wan't to shell out the dollars to cook it. I would basically be doing it for the smoker cost. 8500 goes a long way towards that but I will spend about 1300 in meat and sides. So that leaves 7200 for this and a upgrade on the smoker. I asked about the trailer yet or seen anymore pics but. The money and the equipment it seems real fair.

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/bfs/1329643685.html

SmokyOkie
09-04-2009, 09:45 PM
Better buy bigger. Once you get that capacity, you will start looking for bigger jobs. That thing would be OK for vending at events, but large catering gigs would require something larger and aomething that isn;t geared to retailing.

:oops: I forgot, did you ask for my :twocents:

Oh well, it's yours for free anyway.:msn-wink:

Partyshack BBQ
09-04-2009, 10:12 PM
:oops: I forgot, did you ask for my :twocents:

Oh well, it's yours for free anyway.:msn-wink:

It will most likely fit for what we need it too and the price is right too. You are right as well but we have to take baby steps. Just looking at the trailer. I'm thinking a piglet fits in the door way. The important part is getting a trailer to get OK health dept approved. We wouldn't need a commissary anymore. Paying for a commissary gets expensive. As long as we keep booking private parties we are fine, but to bid on some stuff. We would need to have a commissary to get some other stuff. Plus with this roadside or farmers markets are a possibility.

We have a 3 year plan and after that we rethink the plan. We aren't looking to quit our jobs yet but in 3 years we would like too. that would be in 2 1/2 more years

SmokyOkie
09-04-2009, 10:18 PM
I don't know why you would want to go from trash to food service (:roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0:), but I wish the best for you in accomplishing your goals, and I would put money on you doing it.:thumbs up:

Partyshack BBQ
09-04-2009, 11:02 PM
I don't know why you would want to go from trash to food service (:roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0:), but I wish the best for you in accomplishing your goals, and I would put money on you doing it.:thumbs up:
Thanks and how do you think I get my meat so cheap and already marinated?

The freezer is almost full though.

flying illini
09-04-2009, 11:23 PM
Congrats! That is a huge gig.

By the way, I am feeding my team this Monday at work. (~30) Yes, we have to work. (some planes need heat exchangers and we are behind)

Umpa
09-05-2009, 01:15 PM
The important part is getting a trailer to get OK health dept approved. We wouldn't need a commissary anymore. Paying for a commissary gets expensive. As long as we keep booking private parties we are fine, but to bid on some stuff. We would need to have a commissary to get some other stuff. Plus with this roadside or farmers markets are a possibility.

we got just the opposite issue in NC.. i can have trailer. but the meat handling has to be done from an inspect-able room. No issue. Just get one with a thru the wall southern pride or something, right... BUTT.. in the great state of NC, I have to have the commissary. i have to have a place to receive, store, prep and then pick up. after the even i have to take it back to said spot and unload and clean. Now i know its all for the greater good... but ... and i could use my kitchen at work. however, if the que were to take off.. might not be so easy on what or when i can use the space if i'm no longer employed here..

wow.. didn't mean to ramble... ha

Partyshack BBQ
09-05-2009, 09:32 PM
Congrats! That is a huge gig.

By the way, I am feeding my team this Monday at work. (~30) Yes, we have to work. (some planes need heat exchangers and we are behind)

Yeah I saw you guys are not moving to the carolinas . thats awesome

Partyshack BBQ
09-05-2009, 09:36 PM
we got just the opposite issue in NC.. i can have trailer. but the meat handling has to be done from an inspect-able room. No issue. Just get one with a thru the wall southern pride or something, right... BUTT.. in the great state of NC, I have to have the commissary. i have to have a place to receive, store, prep and then pick up. after the even i have to take it back to said spot and unload and clean. Now i know its all for the greater good... but ... and i could use my kitchen at work. however, if the que were to take off.. might not be so easy on what or when i can use the space if i'm no longer employed here..

wow.. didn't mean to ramble... ha

I would have to look at the regs but I would think having a health dept approved kitchen would replace the needs for a comissary since they are basically one in the same. We will have a refridgerator, nsf appliances, and counters. ect. I would think that should cover it. Talk to a inspector we did and it clarifies a lot.

chef schwantz
09-05-2009, 09:53 PM
I would have to look at the regs but I would think having a health dept approved kitchen would replace the needs for a comissary since they are basically one in the same. We will have a refridgerator, nsf appliances, and counters. ect. I would think that should cover it. Talk to a inspector we did and it clarifies a lot.

In MN you have to have an inspected(licensed)facility, wether it is a trailer, commisary, or temp stand. The equipment requirements vary a little with the type of facility, but NSF or equal is pretty much the rule.
Running hot and cold water, mechanical refrigeration, 3 comp sink, and holding tanks for wastewater are also required.:twocents::twocents:

flying illini
09-06-2009, 03:06 PM
Yeah I saw you guys are not moving to the carolinas . thats awesome

Yea, I am glad for everyone and it probably creates a full-time gig for me for a lot longer. We are trying to piece things back together and improve the business in a hurry.