PDA

View Full Version : What, Price Is Right?

antny616
08-30-2009, 10:17 AM
I have been asked to smoke some butts for a friends party and am wondering what is the going price for such an event? I have priced the meat at my local butcher and can buy it for $1.49 per lb. I want to price it both pulled and hole roast.
Can anyone help me out? Would like to know what some of you other guys are charging. This will be my first $$$ gig and I would like to do more of it in the future.
Thanks in advance for your help.

antny

californiasmokin
08-30-2009, 10:38 AM
Check this out.It might help.

http://72.167.135.4/forum/showthread.php?t=344

peculiarmike
08-30-2009, 11:55 AM
Send BBQBubba a PM. He's into selling his wares roadside.

SmokyOkie
08-30-2009, 10:41 PM
Talk to Partyshack BBQ too he's been doing some catering.

I would just remind you that your time is worth a lot of $

Partyshack BBQ
09-02-2009, 09:09 PM
I have been asked to smoke some butts for a friends party and am wondering what is the going price for such an event? I have priced the meat at my local butcher and can buy it for $1.49 per lb. I want to price it both pulled and hole roast.
Can anyone help me out? Would like to know what some of you other guys are charging. This will be my first $$$ gig and I would like to do more of it in the future.
Thanks in advance for your help.

antny

Do you have a Sam's Club , if so check them for butt. We pay about 1.10 per lb.

How many people?
Are you doing sides?

We charge anywhere from 8.50 to 12 per person depending on how many people.

Are you helping your friends out and you just trying to make a little money?

Are you doing sammies?
If its a larger job are you serving or are you setting it out?
Do you have to buy stuff to do the job? (ie chaffing pans and ect. )
You don't make a lot on your first job because I promise you . You WILL over buy.

Hit me up if you have any questions.

I have other questions for you but those will depend on how many people you are serving.

Also remember the less people means higher per person cost.

For me I can cook 8-10 brisket/butts in the same time as 2 (prep time is a little more but not much)

And you will lose about 40 percent of your uncooked weight. And that leads to more questions like what kind of portions you want to serve. 4 oz portions on a sammie is about what we figure. The more sides (easy sides) the more money. I have a potato salad recipe that you can use. If you want it. Its flawless, easy and delicious.

antny616
09-03-2009, 10:14 AM
Do you have a Sam's Club , if so check them for butt. We pay about 1.10 per lb.

How many people?
Are you doing sides?

We charge anywhere from 8.50 to 12 per person depending on how many people.

Are you helping your friends out and you just trying to make a little money?

Are you doing sammies?
If its a larger job are you serving or are you setting it out?
Do you have to buy stuff to do the job? (ie chaffing pans and ect. )
You don't make a lot on your first job because I promise you . You WILL over buy.

Hit me up if you have any questions.

I have other questions for you but those will depend on how many people you are serving.

Also remember the less people means higher per person cost.

For me I can cook 8-10 brisket/butts in the same time as 2 (prep time is a little more but not much)

And you will lose about 40 percent of your uncooked weight. And that leads to more questions like what kind of portions you want to serve. 4 oz portions on a sammie is about what we figure. The more sides (easy sides) the more money. I have a potato salad recipe that you can use. If you want it. Its flawless, easy and delicious.

Thanks for all the good info Shack, at this point I am looking for a Bulk Meat price. I am doing 40 lbs of shoulder I just have to pull it and deliver. I looked around on the net and see that most people are charging $10 to 11.00 per lb. Just wondering what some of the TQJ peps are doing and I will adjust to my liking.

Thanks again for all your time, I do appreciate the help.

Tony

Joneser
09-03-2009, 10:31 AM
Check this out.It might help.

http://72.167.135.4/forum/showthread.php?t=344

That excel sheet that Chuck posted is great for calculating costs and portions and profits. Very customizable.

Partyshack BBQ
09-03-2009, 01:13 PM
That excel sheet that Chuck posted is great for calculating costs and portions and profits. Very customizable.
I agree it HELPS but using it as a guideline only . If we went by that we would have more food than we need.

Joneser
09-03-2009, 02:54 PM
If you have a little excel experience, you can customize the formulas to suit your needs.

Partyshack BBQ
09-04-2009, 03:04 PM
yep you can but I just didn't want him thinking that its right on as is. I have it and started using it on our first job and we over bought big time. With as little people as he is doing you can over buy your profits easy. My first job we cleared 67 dollars a piece thankfully we had a few jobs behind it to recoup some of those losses

SmokyOkie
09-04-2009, 09:49 PM
Margins are narrow enough to do that easily, especially if you are accustomed to the philosophy that it is better to have too much than to not have enough. And I think most of us amateur cooks fall into that category.

Partyshack BBQ
09-04-2009, 10:04 PM
yep I agree, that was our thought too. Until after we added up expenses and said damn we only made 3 dollars a hour. I thought min wage was higher than that lol:roflmaoha0:

SmokyOkie
09-04-2009, 10:15 PM
yep I agree, that was our thought too. Until after we added up expenses and said damn we only made 3 dollars a hour. I thought min wage was higher than that lol:roflmaoha0:

Gee Lance, sounds like something I might have cautioned against.

My experience is that you should set out to pay yourself twice as much as you think you deserve, and then you might end up with a little less than you expected.:roflmaoha0:

Partyshack BBQ
09-04-2009, 10:19 PM
Gee Lance, sounds like something I might have cautioned against.

My experience is that you should set out to pay yourself twice as much as you think you deserve, and then you might end up with a little less than you expected.:roflmaoha0:

Yeah well we wrote that one off as marketing :) Plus, we actually knew we had a tight budget since it was a party thrown by a friend for some of his clients and employees. We got a couple of gigs off it.

We have people that ask us how we get so many gigs and all we can say is .

NETWORKING We work the crowd and know a lot of business owners.

antny616
09-05-2009, 11:03 AM
Yeah well we wrote that one off as marketing :) Plus, we actually knew we had a tight budget since it was a party thrown by a friend for some of his clients and employees. We got a couple of gigs off it.

We have people that ask us how we get so many gigs and all we can say is .

NETWORKING We work the crowd and know a lot of business owners.

Shack, thanks for the tip about Sam's Club. I picked up 50 lbs last night for .99 per pound. That will increase my margin a bit. I am charging $5.00 per pound for this gig. It's for a friend and she is 5 years cancer free next Sat. I am gunna make my normal price $8.00 per pound for bulk meat. I will figure something out for jobs requiring per person prices with sides and such.

Thanks again for all the help. Good luck with your business, sound like you are on your way.

Tony

SmokyOkie
09-05-2009, 11:57 AM
Tony, is that before or after cooking weight?

antny616
09-05-2009, 02:38 PM
Tony, is that before or after cooking weight?

She asked me for 50 lbs for 65 people. I told her it would be way to much. I talked her into 30 lbs and told her it would be enough to serve around 75 or so people. She is also serving another meat ( not mine ) sloppy joe's I think and other sides ( not mine ) I think she will have plenty left over to stash in the freezer.

Tony

Partyshack BBQ
09-05-2009, 09:30 PM
sweet good job man

chef schwantz
09-05-2009, 10:03 PM
Shack, thanks for the tip about Sam's Club. I picked up 50 lbs last night for .99 per pound. That will increase my margin a bit. I am charging $5.00 per pound for this gig. It's for a friend and she is 5 years cancer free next Sat. I am gunna make my normal price $8.00 per pound for bulk meat. I will figure something out for jobs requiring per person prices with sides and such.

Thanks again for all the help. Good luck with your business, sound like you are on your way.

Tony

So with shrinkage and trim, your looking to make about 100 bucks? A few more things to keep in mind: Are you bringing it to her hot off the smoker, or cooking it a day before and reheating. You want to be sure that you can get it cooled down from 140 to 40 in 4 hours. You also want to make sure you can get it reheated from 40 to 165 in 2 hours. Making somebody sick on your first gig isn't the best way to get repeat business. Just my :twocents: