PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a new grill

John DOH
02-19-2008, 10:15 PM
Good Ening All!

My first post on my first day on your board.

I am looking for a new gas grill to replace my "Old Faithfull" 1983 Sears Best/Poseiden grill. I've repaired it, I've kept in good shape, and "cherished" it, but last year's performance showed me its time to step up and move on.

I really loved the cast iron cooking surfaces, and in its day this puppy had some great heat, and great control.

This is going to be out in the snow on our patio the full year, and the awning only covers it when in use, so I'm going to need stainless steel and aluminium construction. As the kids are leaving, we don't need three acres of cooking surface, and I'd like it "wheelable" that I can have it out on the street for our neighbourhood courtyard parties where I'm often asked to cook.

The new grill will "need" a rotisserie element. It, for various reasons, does not need a side cooking surface.

Easy maintenance would be a bonus.

I haven't done any serious grill shopping yet, and yes, there is a "budget" to be dealt with. Note that I live in Ontario, Canada, near Toronto, and so any grill would need to be one that is not only distributed here, but which has long term availability of parts that is reasonably "local".

Since this has GOT to be the best shot I have at exploiting a lot of "expert opinion", I'd be glad if you guys would chime in and name brands and models, and how these new "modern features" compare with the more elderly model I've spent so long with. Please don't be afraid to be critical of brands or features you've experienced, either. More info and opinion is almost always better than less!

Thanks guys, and I'll look forward to anyt wisdom, experience and counsel you care to offer...

John

TX Sandman
02-19-2008, 10:32 PM
First, welcome aboard, John! I hope you'll stick around a while!

Second, I haven't bought a grill, but, IMO, a Weber might fit the bill. I can't give you a specific model, though.

My reasons for thinking Weber are simple. First, they are very widely available, so no worries about finding a dealer. Second, they have a great rep for longevity. Third, parts are readily available for *years* through the company. And fourth, customer service is great.

Hope this helped.

BrisketRex
02-19-2008, 11:09 PM
Whichever grill you can afford from the Weber line. Quality, reliability, great customer service, and simply great working and great looking gassers. I got a gently used Genesis Silver B and it works like a charm!!

John DOH
02-19-2008, 11:23 PM
Thanks Rob!

I've heard all sorts of good things about the Weber brand, though I've never owned one.

I have a "natural prejudice" for Sears product, as witness my longevity with "Old Faithfull"; I understand that Sears doesn't build these, but their "Best" grade products are in fact built by the premium builders....

Likewise my 86 year old father has a "Broil King" grill at the cottage that we bought him on his retirement, 23 years ago, and, given that he is as fussy as your granny about it, its in fantastic shape, and gets very heavy use each summer, and so another "longevity" candidate!

What I don't know anything about is how great these stainless steel grids and fireboxes and "such" are..I know I've seen them on the Cooking Network, but a Network's budget greatly exceeds mine (if they pay for them at all) and I'd love for some user experience to come out on this thread.

Hopefully, there'll be a few other "Flashburners", let alone people who have tried "low + slow" on covered grills that will pitch in with their thoughts, and I'll be able to weigh the options...

John

TX Sandman
02-19-2008, 11:57 PM
No worries, John.

My experience with Weber comes from several folks who own them, plus experience with my inlaws' Weber. I have yet to hear a bad report.

Good luck.

ds7662
02-20-2008, 07:59 AM
Weber will be your best shots for easy parts availibility. It will also give you the most for your money. Weber is a kinda in the middle grill as far as price, quality, and features for the money.
Since I don't know what you want to spend and there are so many other variables, check the Webers out.
All reviews say for the general purpose grilling the Weber e-310 is the best for money and quality.

A Sears Kenmore model 16233, rates very high as well and comes with the infared rostisserie. About $450 US.

Now for luxury models you might consider some others.
Broilmaster, Holland, Phoneix, Bubba's BBQ's, and a ton of others.

I will say stay away from the new Ducanes. Not the same as they used to be. The company like many others has gone to mass producing and selling these things all over. The old ones could only be purchased from propane dealers, and were much higher quality.

I am partial to my phoneix. Love it. All parts inside mine are stainless. Love the expanded metal cooking grate. Allows me to cook stuff that would normally fall through unless a basket was used.
I have cooked on Broilmasters also. Great grills. Cooking grates have height adjustments. So along with burner temp control you can move the grates to control temps as well.
Also cooked on and older model Ducane. This was a great grill.

Goodluck in your search.

SmokyOkie
02-20-2008, 10:55 AM
Hey there John! Why don't you stop by the "C'mon in and sit down" forum and introduce yourself.

I have some thoughts for you on grills, but first, just exactly how much do you want to spend? I understand that U.S. goods are a little more affordable for you canucks than they used to be.

:sign0016:

BrisketRex
02-20-2008, 10:59 AM
The Genesis line is affordable, the Spirit even more so. The E and S series lines are beauties. I've seen the Weber line at Wal-Mart, Lowes, and Home Depot. Give em a look see!
I'd recommend at least 3 burners. Genesis on up has the 3 burners. Even have the pretty stainless if you want that!!

http://www.weberbbq.com/bbq/pub/grill/2007/grills.aspx

SmokyOkie
02-20-2008, 11:39 AM
Rumor has it that these are great. Anybody here have one?

http://www.hollandgrill.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/products.grills/index.htm

BA_LoKo
02-20-2008, 11:44 AM
Tim, those look really nice. I don't have any experience with the Holland line, so I can't help there.

Here is the one I was talking to you about the other day.

Click (http://garage-toys.com/gatoinststpo.html)

I don't think it's what John is looking for, but others may be interested in it. (There are some other neat things on that site, too.)

SmokyOkie
02-20-2008, 12:22 PM
I don't know if you have Lowe's in Canada, I also don't know if these can only be had through Lowe's, but I do think that I would buy one of these if I were in the market for a gas grill.

http://www.jennair.com/content.jsp?name=outdoorproducts

Most all gassers I've seen have something major that's designed to burn out in a year or two. I've put these under a microscope and can find nothing that should ever burn out, from the solid cast brass burners to the all stainless construction (solid thick stainless grates as opposed to the tube grates you get on most ).

Just a thought. :twocents:

Anybody own one of them?

ds7662
02-20-2008, 06:50 PM
Rumor has it that these are great. Anybody here have one?

http://www.hollandgrill.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/products.grills/index.htm

Tim,
I am familiar with the Hollands. I listed them in my post.
They are great grills, for certain foods.
They are built to last that is for sure.
Used to sell some when I worked at the gas company years ago.
If I was gonna buy another gasser. It would be a broilmaster.
Not that I need another. I got my phoneix last year and paid $600 for it and that was cost for my friend who owns the gas company. Retail was for over $900.

John DOH
02-20-2008, 08:57 PM
I don't think I'm going to find anything that is going to give me satisfaction for much less than $700. I'd like to keep it down to $1000.00, but I'm kind of thinking it'll run up to $1200, in the end...
(Note Cdn prices remain pretty high; I could conceivably run over to Buffalo, if I knew where to look)
John

peculiarmike
02-21-2008, 10:07 AM
Welcome to The Joint John!
If buying stainless take a good magnet with you. Not all stainless is what it is represented to be. Looks good but later ............. :censored2:
Enjoy The Joint.

SmokyOkie
02-21-2008, 10:27 AM
Tim,
I am familiar with the Hollands. I listed them in my post.
They are great grills, for certain foods.
They are built to last that is for sure.
Used to sell some when I worked at the gas company years ago.
If I was gonna buy another gasser. It would be a broilmaster.
Not that I need another. I got my phoneix last year and paid $600 for it and that was cost for my friend who owns the gas company. Retail was for over $900.

Show it to us.

I don't think I'm going to find anything that is going to give me satisfaction for much less than $700. I'd like to keep it down to $1000.00, but I'm kind of thinking it'll run up to $1200, in the end...
(Note Cdn prices remain pretty high; I could conceivably run over to Buffalo, if I knew where to look)
John

If that's the case, I'd seriously consider finding the local Lowe's and looking @ the Jenn Airs.:twocents:

John DOH
02-21-2008, 11:59 PM
HMMM

Lowes just opened here locally with a fairly massive store. They are advertising that their sales associates know more about product than anybody else, which isn't hard to do, when the competition is Cdn Tire, Sears and Home Depot, the last of which is where all the laid off steel mill types seem to be winding up.

Will give this a look over the weekend.

Note we do have a couple of "Specialty BBQ Stores" in ton, with a few people that have grilled something better than a hot dog, but they seem equally conversant with vaccuum cleaner systems, their "other" specialty.

I spent 45 minutes doing a fairly "intense" inspection of high end st/stl grills at a high end store near by, and the prices were immense, and no sales person was attracted to me in that time, which "chills" me on shopping there...

John

ds7662
02-24-2008, 08:10 AM
[quote=SmokyOkie;2810]Show it to us.

I wil get you a pic Tim.

SmokyOkie
02-25-2008, 11:14 AM
We'll look forward to it Deputy!

Pork N Stein
04-03-2008, 10:19 PM
I had one of the older model Jenn-Airs with the cast brass burners, good solid 304 stainless construction, and a pretty darn good warranty...however, I had some issues come up with the grill and it was replaced with a new 2008 model (720-0511). The model came with a sear burner in addition to the standard ceramic rotisserie burner, but the grill wasn't constructed with 304 stainless anymore, the metal used was much thinner, and the main burners have changed from cast brass to tubular stainless. The quality of construction isn't where it was a few years ago, but given the market, they still represent a good value for the cost. If your local store still has one of the older models that were constructed of 304 stainless, I'd recommend you snap it up.

Before I got my Jenn-Air, I had a Weber Genesis 1000 3 burner. It was a very consistent and well built grill. The porcelain coated cast iron cooking grates were fantastic for grill marks on steaks or chops. The only things I didn't care for about the Genesis were the lack of a rotisserie burner, and the burner orientation being horizontal (side to side) vs front to back. The front to back arrangement allows for more versatility when it comes cooking indirect.

Just my $.02 (USD) worth. :twocents:

John DOH
04-03-2008, 11:02 PM
Not that metallurgy is my strong point, but 304 stainless is a recipe for how much nickle you put in with the steel. Note that 316 stainless is much tougher stuff, but you are very correct in noting the gauge or "thickness" of the metal on offer, as its my thought that this will act as a sort of "firebrick" all on its own.

Was sort of disappointed in the grills on offer at Loews, as once I had eliminated those with side burners that I personally don't believe in we were down to a Weber that "failed the magnet test" in that it had to have had aluminium parts that would be suspect in high heat for warping...

I confess I didn't look at the burners or valves after that (am not that close to the purchasing point)

I have to suspect that some companies come up with "premium" models that have it all more or less "correct" and then "chisel" away at the expensive parts, having established the model as a top end sort, when sales start to flag, because the "quality" causes such grills to last "forever", and they don't get repeat buyers or "parts sales" in return.

I know, I know, I'm being cynical!

Will be off line for the next week or so, buds, as DW and I depart for the Mayan Riviera and Cancun for a brief and early blast of warm weather and excellent food for the annual "company picnic" thing with the top dealers in 2007 sales...will hopefully return to this Forum with a thought or two on how the Mexican Chefs "do" a few things!

Best Regards to all!

John

Sarge 569
06-30-2008, 09:00 PM
On my second Weber Silver in 25 yrs. It does any thing I need. I have a GOSM Stainless to do the low and slow but the weber is the backbone of my cooking.

John DOH
06-30-2008, 10:30 PM
Finally did the dirty deed last weekend and in spite of the very attractive and expensive Jennair offerings, elected to go with the Weber Genesis EP310, as reality has it that we are beginning to start "empty nesting" and there's little point to having a bigass grill for cooking two or three burgers, and of course I have this inbuilt prejudice against the quick to fail side burners and such...
A couple "pluses" were that Weber was highly recommended here and elsewhere, and I could easily obtain a Weber rotisserie that will be a no-brainer to fit (and Saturday night is gonna be a Prime Rib on the rotisserie, a treat we haven't had in a Looong time!)

It will be a "change" to depart from the Sears/Poseiden cast iron gril to the Weber's stainless steel 3/16" "rod" weldment, that is "questionable" in being able to be raised or lowered, and I wonder if this needs be "seasoned" (I'm thinking a split onion soaked in bacon grease, and scrubbed onto the grilling surface; this would "work" on cast iron, and possibly porcelain, but those bare stainless rods are puzzling me)

"Old Betsy" may well be distributed to DS, the Chef (Dad will be tempted to do a quick, if unneccessary, "rebuild" of critical component parts...I loved the "old girl", and we share a lot of memories...)

John

SmokyOkie
07-01-2008, 02:20 PM
You never need to feel bad when you buy a Weber.

What we need now is some pix, of both old and new!:thumbs up:

John DOH
07-01-2008, 08:22 PM
Not terribly sure how to do the photo thing on this Board, but will give it a try...

It will take a couple of days to recover the digital that is compatible to this computer, and the new grill is not due untl Friday afternoon...am planning on "gifting" the old one to the kids, and must do some rebuilding before any photos, let alone spent some time doing a hot tub cleanout this pm, not something I'd want in a picture...

Blueberry BBQ is sitting here, reserved for selected persons, I have to get a "day" where I'm not pushing for stuff at work (and currently taking the trouble calls for staff holiday periods) to package this stuff up; want to get some smokey pork material in with it as well)

John

PigCicles
07-01-2008, 10:38 PM
Check this link out for the pics ... Posting pictures "Tutorial" (http://www.theqjoint.com/forum/showthread.php?t=106)

SmokyOkie
07-02-2008, 02:38 PM
:whathesaid:

If that doesn't get it for you, PM any staffer and we'll get you up and running.:thumbs up: