PDA

View Full Version : Maple Glazed Chicken & Corn

silver-bullet
08-23-2009, 06:58 PM
My Bride & I love my Honey Glazed Chicken so much I deceided to try glazeing it with Maple Syrup. I also used Hickory Pellets instead of Apple
It was ok, but not impressive.
While I was cooking I looked here @ the pellet guide & saw that Hickory wasn't really a good choice for Chicken so maybe the results may of been better if I used the "ole faithful" Apple Pellets.
We really liked the Bacon wrapped Corn Thank You!! Cowgirl.
And.....I'm really gonna like this Thermapen. The Chichen was Really Moist (Even the breast's) Not over or undercooked. It read between 170 & 175 on the assorted pieces. I do start the breast's 20 min before I put the others on.
Would I try it again? Probably not. If I did it might be on a couple pieces cooked over the Apple pellets.

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff220/wingnutttt/DSCF0609.jpg

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff220/wingnutttt/DSCF0610.jpg

BYBBQ
08-23-2009, 07:17 PM
It does look tasty.:drooling:

californiasmokin
08-23-2009, 08:39 PM
Looks good!

SmokyOkie
08-23-2009, 08:49 PM
My Bride & I love my Honey Glazed Chicken so much I deceided to try glazeing it with Maple Syrup. I also used Hickory Pellets instead of Apple
It was ok, but not impressive.
While I was cooking I looked here @ the pellet guide & saw that Hickory wasn't really a good choice for Chicken so maybe the results may of been better if I used the "ole faithful" Apple Pellets.
We really liked the Bacon wrapped Corn Thank You!! Cowgirl.
And.....I'm really gonna like this Thermapen. The Chichen was Really Moist (Even the breast's) Not over or undercooked. It read between 170 & 175 on the assorted pieces. I do start the breast's 20 min before I put the others on.
Would I try it again? Probably not. If I did it might be on a couple pieces cooked over the Apple pellets.

So are you saying you'd nix the hickory, or the maple?

It all looks great to me.

Chix like cherry and alder real well too.

BigAL
08-24-2009, 04:36 AM
Lou, have you tried pecan or mesquite? I haven't used apple or cherry for a long time, pecan and mesquite are my fav's. Hickory doesn't do much for me, maybe too standard/common?

Looks good Lou, did the corn that wasn't covered w/bacon dry out any? Doesn't look like it.

Thanks for post'n!:thumbs up::drooling::drooling::drooling:

Joneser
08-24-2009, 07:07 AM
Looks good, Lou! I'd probably crank up the temps to finish the bacon...I like it a little more crisp, but the meal looks fantastic!

SmokyOkie
08-24-2009, 10:16 AM
Lou, have you tried pecan or mesquite? I haven't used apple or cherry for a long time, pecan and mesquite are my fav's. Hickory doesn't do much for me, maybe too standard/common?

Looks good Lou, did the corn that wasn't covered w/bacon dry out any? Doesn't look like it.

Thanks for post'n!:thumbs up::drooling::drooling::drooling:

Do you use Traeger pellets?

silver-bullet
08-24-2009, 08:18 PM
SmokieOkie
The bacon shrunk as it was cooking & some of it that wasn't coverd did get a bit dry. It was pertty much entirely covered when I started.
I have Pecan & Mesquite pellets. I use the Pecan regularly with Beef & haven't used Mesquite in a while. Probably could try them with Chicken, But I find we like the Apple best with our Chicken. I keep some hickory on hand because its nice for smoking a ham or Bacon.
Yes I would nix the hickory & probably try the maple with another flavor pellet. But before I make an entire meal out of it again, I'll just try a couple pieces the next time I cook Chicken.
Yes I do use Traeger Pellets. I get them for 16.95 a 20 lb bag which is 2 bucks less than advertised on their webpage.
Big Al
I find our favorite pellets are Apple & Pecan although currently I have 6 different flavors on hand as per my post on "Pellet Storage" I ran a bag of Cherry Pellets & I didn't really care for them.
I've only had my Traeger since last October. So Much to smoke........So little time. So I'm kinda a newbie at it.
I think next time I cook chicken I'm going to bring up the heat a bit to get the skin a bit crispy like the photo of the "Jerk" Chicken

SmokyOkie
08-24-2009, 09:55 PM
The reason I asked what brand of pellets is because I'm told that Traeger pellets are 80+% alder wood.

If you want full flavor pellets, you can buy them. you may want to try them and see how you like them.

Here are a couple sites to shop from

http://www.northwoodssmokeofmn.com/chips.htm?gclid=CLDE1pLmvZwCFQhV2godU3xknQ

http://www.barbecuewood.com/-strse-Smoker-Pellets/searchpath/1805270/start/21/total/28/Categories.bok

Heap;o;Meat sent me some Alder wood. I like it real well for poultry and fish.

I am told from a reliable source that the reason that the Traeger pellets are such a high percentage alder is because alder is mild ( it is),and that the pure hardwood pellets are too strong to use by themselves.

I have no experience in the matter, so I can't really say.

Butt Lover's
08-24-2009, 11:01 PM
Nice looking grub!

peculiarmike
08-25-2009, 09:21 AM
I'm not a pellet guy and know nothing about them. But I do use a good bit of hickory and actually prefer it as my wood of choice. It works fine for chicken. I have also used cherry, apple, pecan. They all work fine also.
But the bottom line is - Ya gotta please yourself. :msn-wink: