PDA

View Full Version : Beer Waffles

tomshoots
08-23-2009, 05:13 PM
I recently posted pix and procedures for making beer biscuits. I mentioned in that thread that my stepmom Murle taught me how to make them, and that she said you can make the batter thinner to make pancakes. Never had 'em but I reasoned that if you can make pancakes, waffles should be do-able as well.

So I made the thinner batter approximating waffle batter and added some buttery oil spray to keep from sticking. Then poured into a hot waffle iron.

After minutes of cooking I lifted the lid and was disappointed in the appearance. They didn't brown very well, but were very crispy, so onto the plate with it. Then slathered w/ butter and took the first bite.:woohoo:
Very tasty! So I added syrup>:wings:Crispy/chewey texture and marvelous

flavor. They were such a hit we had more for dinner with smoked stuffed
fatty:eating:
http://i738.photobucket.com/albums/xx27/tomshoots/IMG_0398.jpg

http://i738.photobucket.com/albums/xx27/tomshoots/IMG_0399.jpg

http://i738.photobucket.com/albums/xx27/tomshoots/IMG_0400.jpg

http://i738.photobucket.com/albums/xx27/tomshoots/IMG_0401.jpg

http://i738.photobucket.com/albums/xx27/tomshoots/IMG_0402.jpg

BYBBQ
08-23-2009, 06:01 PM
Looks like a perfect dinner to me.:thumbs up:

Butt Lover's
08-23-2009, 07:16 PM
nice!

californiasmokin
08-23-2009, 08:34 PM
I like my waffles and those look good:thumbs up:

SmokyOkie
08-23-2009, 08:42 PM
I don;t see a thing wrong with that that a large dollop of whipped cream and some apple pie filling wouldn't cure.:blushing::roflmaoha0:

Kidding aside, what is wrong with the waffle? are you just criticizing the color? I don't see anything wrong with them.

If you think they should be darker, a little more sugar and a bit of egg ought to help that.

I'm impressed and will definitely give them a try.

TX Sandman
08-23-2009, 09:07 PM
:whathesaid: I'm impressed, too. Might not try it, since the kids tend to eat the waffles, but who knows? Thanks for the ideas.

SmokyOkie
08-23-2009, 09:23 PM
Don't you spose that most of what little alcohol there is in the batter evaporates Rob?

TX Sandman
08-23-2009, 10:31 PM
:twocents: The alcohol itself doesn't bother me. It's just that the kids eat a lot more waffles than I do, so we plan that recipe around them. Don't know how they would react to us messing with a recipe of theirs, and I don't want to waste a batch of batter just so I can get a taste.

BigAL
08-24-2009, 04:43 AM
:twocents: The alcohol itself doesn't bother me. It's just that the kids eat a lot more waffles than I do, so we plan that recipe around them. Don't know how they would react to us messing with a recipe of theirs, and I don't want to waste a batch of batter just so I can get a taste.

SO VERY TRUE!!! Wife makes food kinda "plain jane" for the kids, I like to add a touch of this or that to make it more exciting. Then, sometimes, I get ripped up one side and down the other for "play'n with it".:blushing::shrug: God forbid you try m&m's in their pancakes instead of just chocolate chips.(color did run and they didn't look the best though:blushing:)

Anyway, I hear you LOUD & CLEAR TX!

tomshoots
08-24-2009, 05:30 AM
I don;t see a thing wrong with that that a large dollop of whipped cream and some apple pie filling wouldn't cure.:blushing::roflmaoha0:

Kidding aside, what is wrong with the waffle? are you just criticizing the color? I don't see anything wrong with them.

If you think they should be darker, a little more sugar and a bit of egg ought to help that.

I'm impressed and will definitely give them a try.

The lack of color lead me to believe they were not cooking properly. Seeing how crisp they were and how good they tasted convinced me otherwise. Nothing wrong; so good I had them for b'fast and dinner:woohoo:

:sign0092:for your suggestions; may try sometime.

tomshoots
08-24-2009, 05:40 AM

Rob, you don't have to make a big batch just to taste. You can make enough batter for one or two. A little SR flour and beer mixed to the right thickness. You don't have to use a whole beer. That way you get to try it and if the young-uns don't like it you're not out much.

Joneser
08-24-2009, 07:05 AM
Those look great! Was the beer flavor heavy? Seeing that bacon and syrup on the plate makes me sooooo hungry!

tomshoots
08-24-2009, 04:22 PM
Those look great! Was the beer flavor heavy? Seeing that bacon and syrup on the plate makes me sooooo hungry!

No heavy beer flavor. They don't taste anything like traditional waffles, but not much like beer either. I used Bud Light for this, and I prefer light(as in light color) for baking and dark for drinking. I once used dark for biscuits and it made them darker and fuller flavored if you like them that way. I didn't, but maybe it's just me; others may prefer.:twocents: