PDA

View Full Version : I think i fixed my low heat

stevemiller
08-21-2009, 07:37 PM
:woohoo:MY TEMP IS SITTING AT 220 ON MY CG WITH SFB. I HAVE TRIED ALMOST EVERY MODIFICATION THAT HAS BEEN BROUGHT UP AND I FINELY HAVE CAME DOWN TO JUST A FEW. I TRIED SOME AND THEY WOULD HELP A LITTLE. SOME DID NOTHING. WHAT I SETTLED WITH IS THE FOLLOWING:
MAKE A BASKET FOR FIRE BOX

RAISE THE BASKET TO JUST BELOW THE SHELF THAT THE COOKING

GRID SITS ON IN THE SFB(ABOUT ONE INCH)

IN THE COOKING CHAMBER REVERSE THE CHARCOAL PLATE AND SET IT JUST ABOVE THE FOOTBALL HOLE AND UP AGAINST THE HOLE

I USED STUBS BRIQUETTES AND A LITTLE KINGSFORD HICKORY FOR FLAVOR

CHIMNEY WIDE OPEN

THE AIR WAS OPEN ABOUT 1 1/2 X 1 1/2 IN:woohoo:
THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP,HOPE IT STAYS THIS WAY

:cheer:220 DEG STEADY FOR 3 HRS:cheer:

BluDawg
08-21-2009, 07:50 PM
I knew you could do it great job.Now cook us something and don't forget the pictures lots of them cause we are all forken hungry.lol

SmokyOkie
08-21-2009, 09:41 PM
Now, add a mini log or two every 45 minute or so and add a little c'coal if necessary. Open the as drawer a little in order to increase air flow for higher temps and bingo, you got it. You need to think in terms of keeping the air moving unobstructed from the air intake into the cooking chamber with the fire in between.

:thumbs up::thumbs up:

stevemiller
08-22-2009, 12:10 AM
the factory temp was off 100 deg. then the difference between locations. i got remote gauge and put the prob on a cork, if you have never done this it is an eye opener. it helped me to see what was going on. sometimes i need to get hit with the truth. thanks to everyone that kept talking about the gauge.
this camp rocks

SmokyOkie
08-22-2009, 02:26 PM
the factory temp was off 100 deg. then the difference between locations. i got remote gauge and put the prob on a cork, if you have never done this it is an eye opener. it helped me to see what was going on. sometimes i need to get hit with the truth. thanks to everyone that kept talking about the gauge.
this camp rocks

I know where you could get a real, accurate thermo.

stevemiller
08-25-2009, 03:42 PM
Would i be better off starting charcoal in chimney before adding it to the fire

Joneser
08-25-2009, 04:29 PM
That's how you should start out initially, I just scoot the burned up chunks toward the food and put fresh in behind it...it's a take on the ever popular "Minion Method"

SmokyOkie
08-25-2009, 06:26 PM

that depends on what kind of charcoal and what kind of cooker you are using.

If you're using good lump coal, it will give the meat a nice smoky flavor if you just add it to the existing fire.

That's how you should start out initially, I just scoot the burned up chunks toward the food and put fresh in behind it...it's a take on the ever popular "Minion Method"

I know you know Brian, but for others that don't, the Minion method involves placing lit coals on top and in the middle of unlit coals so that the fire has to burn downward and outward, kinda like a backfire.

stevemiller
09-08-2009, 07:37 PM
i think that the largest differance was when i raised the baskethttp://www.theqjoint.com/forum/<a href=

SmokyOkie
09-08-2009, 08:32 PM
Exactly!