PDA

View Full Version : Where we all started.

BluDawg
08-20-2009, 06:32 PM
I Really like it here at TQJ.There is a lot of great folks with lot of BBQ savvy, however there is something missing. A legend, an icon, and probably the single most important part of the BBQ culture since man first discovered that fire and meat go together.A piece of history that most of us take for granted and where 90% of us made our bones. The "Weber 22.5" kettle" Many a beer has been drank and many a steak properly kissed by flame in front of this alter. I LOVE my Weber. If I could have but one piece in the stable it would be the Weber. Long smokes or burgers and bratts it handles it all.Eggs and Drums have there own place lets give a little place for the king. Show your support heres mine.http://i968.photobucket.com/albums/ae164/Bludawg51/PHOT0092.jpg

californiasmokin
08-20-2009, 08:04 PM
I do love my Weber Kettle and she loves me.We have been very happy all these years.Until I found this website called the Q Joint.And now I am never satisfied with anything.Always on a quest for better cookers and better food,Go ahead take a picture. Next thing you know you are flying to oklahoma.
She is the Gateway drug to my Addiction:roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0:

PigCicles
08-20-2009, 08:10 PM
Ya know, I've never actually had a true Weber. I currently have (and hardly use) a Uni-Flame knock off which is needing a leg repaired now. Maybe somewhere down the road I'll find a deal or just break down and just get a true Weber.

But yes I agree, we all have started with the grill and progressed deeply into the addiction of BBQ.

GrillDaddy
08-20-2009, 08:35 PM
This is amazing, I was just going to start a Weber thread. I tried to do a pork tenderloin on my new drum and, you know what, drum cant do it right...along with anything else needing a sear and a rare inside. Don't get me wrong, I love my drum, but I sort of feel like that SC Gov. Mark Sanford...my Weber is like my wife, that I know so well and am trying to fall back in love with, but I have my drum, who is my little hottie Latino S. American "soul mate". The point is cookers are like women...you shouldn't have to have just one

silver-bullet
08-20-2009, 08:48 PM
Definatly one for the Q Hall of Fame :thumbs up:

bordpwdr
08-21-2009, 12:17 AM
This is amazing, I was just going to start a Weber thread. I tried to do a pork tenderloin on my new drum and, you know what, drum cant do it right...along with anything else needing a sear and a rare inside. Don't get me wrong, I love my drum, but I sort of feel like that SC Gov. Mark Sanford...my Weber is like my wife, that I know so well and am trying to fall back in love with, but I have my drum, who is my little hottie Latino S. American "soul mate". The point is cookers are like women...you shouldn't have to have just one

:whathesaid:

:roflmaoha0:

The Weber kettle.......what a good pal it's been over the years (I've had three since I started grillin' and chillin' as a sophomore in college - '91).

How many steaks, chickens and pork loins have I cooked on the Weber? Enough to keep me "big boned", ha! Only recently did I figure out that lump is the way to go.....

Dare I say it, but my previous One Touch did get contaminated with some Match Light. Thank god that was in the '90s and I've learned my lesson.

BTW, I finished my drum tonight, gonna start the seasoning burn in the AM, and hopefully do a test run tomorrow afternoon with some fattys and some wings.

Butts and ribs on Saturday!

I'm like a kid in Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory.

BigAL
08-21-2009, 05:59 AM
I, nor my parents, have ever had one.:shrug: I thought about getting one this fall, cheaper(?), seasoning it, use it a couple times to get a "know how" and then give it to my parents and teach them how to use it. They were talk'n about getting one, but I doubt they will.

The "bbq pit boys" at bbqweb sure like theirs.:thumbs up: :msn-wink::roflmaoha0:

Joneser
08-21-2009, 06:49 AM
I don't have, or have I ever owned a large Weber Kettle...I do have the Smokey Joe for smaller cooks....Streaks and whatnot. I'd like to get a larger kettle someday, but I'm set for now.

peculiarmike
08-21-2009, 10:19 AM
Never owned a Weber. I do have an antique Buddy L cast aluminum grill that is similar, had it since the early 70's. It still cooks just fine, the cast aluminum is the ticket.
Sorta lost it's looks over the years. And it is avacado green. :D

Pic before it's last resurection last spring -

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z125/peculiarmike/MeatloafFatties008-1.jpg

SmokyOkie
08-21-2009, 11:07 AM
I have owned a few Webers and at one time, I would've said the same in regard to having but one piece of outdoor cooking equipment, but then I found Hasty Bake.

I currently have 2 Smoky Joe Platinums (18"), and a 22 1/2" WSM, but I never use them.

I use the Hasty Bake more often than anything, then the drum for quick smokes, and the Backwoods or Lucille for real smokes.

Actually, the Backwoods is so handy that I only fire up Lucille when I have more to cook than the Backwoods can handle.

While the Kettle is definitely an icon in outdoor cookery, there are also several of us still around that cut their eye teeth well before the Weber became popular.

californiasmokin
08-21-2009, 12:20 PM
I have owned a few Webers and at one time, I would've said the same in regard to having but one piece of outdoor cooking equipment, but then I found Hasty Bake.

I currently have 2 Smoky Joe Platinums (18"), and a 22 1/2" WSM, but I never use them.

I use the Hasty Bake more often than anything, then the drum for quick smokes, and the Backwoods or Lucille for real smokes.

Actually, the Backwoods is so handy that I only fire up Lucille when I have more to cook than the Backwoods can handle.

While the Kettle is definitely an icon in outdoor cookery, there are also several of us still around that cut their eye teeth well before the Weber became popular.

Don't date yourself Tim:roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0:

The weber made it possible for bumbling fools like myself to put out some decent food at an affordable price.While the hasty bake and backwoods are competition class cookers and worthy of all the accolades they are due I don't feel they are entry level cookers for the average person getting into Grilling and BBq.:twocents:

I don't think I could ever go back to just one.It is Not enough fun!

SmokyOkie
08-21-2009, 12:29 PM
Don't date yourself Tim:roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0:

The weber made it possible for bumbling fools like myself to put out some decent food at an affordable price.While the hasty bake and backwoods are competition class cookers and worthy of all the accolades they are due I don't feel they are entry level cookers for the average person getting into Grilling and BBq.:twocents:

I don't think I could ever go back to just one.It is Not enough fun!

The Backwoods is definitely competition grade equipment. the Hasty Bake, while that type of quality, is really more of a backyard cooker.

Granted, it is nowhere near as inexpensive as a Weber ($700 vs $85), but it's simplicity of use is such that any novice can use one, and with more ease than a kettle. It is a good deal more versatile than as kettle as well. That's why I say that if I were to have only one piece of outdoor cooking equipment, it would have to be a Hasty Bake.

You know, I remember back when folks talked about the Weber and said that "They are nice, but $40 is way too much to spend on a grill."

Buzzards Roost
08-21-2009, 02:40 PM
I need to see a pic of your Hasty Bake. I may know what it is, but called it something else. I've had three webbers and a cast aluminum grill. They are not as much fun any more.

californiasmokin
08-21-2009, 02:47 PM
I need to see a pic of your Hasty Bake. I may know what it is, but called it something else. I've had three webbers and a cast aluminum grill. They are not as much fun any more.

Here you go Oscar my friend!

http://www.hastybake.com/

Buzzards Roost
08-21-2009, 02:58 PM
Nope never owned one of thoughs. Just might have to check that out. I bought a royal oak electric smoker at a garage sale the other day for $25 bucks. Had been used once. Looks like new, don't know what I'm going to do with it, just couldn't pass it up for that price.

SmokyOkie
08-21-2009, 09:13 PM
Thanx for the help in my absence Paul.

Buzz, you really have to see one in person in order to understand how well made they are.

Given their price, you would want to check one out well before you bought one. If you ever see one at a garage sale or such that's in good shape for less than $200, buy it and if you don't want it, I'll take it off your hands.

Jake
08-22-2009, 01:42 AM
hmmm Q for thought

h20loo
08-26-2009, 07:03 AM
I was just looking for '60s charcoal BBcues to see if I could find a picture of our families first grill. It must have been a Weber knockoff as it was 23" round(I came across the grill in my dads garage) but was not deep like a weber. It also had a hood with a warming drawer and was copper tone brown. I remember pumping the lighter fluid to it by the gallon.
I have never obtained the economic status to buy a Weber- looked at them many times but never could justify a new one.
This might be of interest to someone-http://omaha.craigslist.org/hsh/1331622792.html If I were close I would have it!!!LOL!
Found a picture- wow this takes me back!
http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii58/h20loo/man-barbecuing-steaks_CB100827.jpg

BA_LoKo
08-26-2009, 07:46 AM
Wow! That is a great price on a very nice cooker!

PigCicles
08-26-2009, 10:08 AM
I was just looking for '60s charcoal BBcues to see if I could find a picture of our families first grill. It must have been a Weber knockoff as it was 23" round(I came across the grill in my dads garage) but was not deep like a weber. It also had a hood with a warming drawer and was copper tone brown. I remember pumping the lighter fluid to it by the gallon.
I have never obtained the economic status to buy a Weber- looked at them many times but never could justify a new one.
This might be of interest to someone-http://omaha.craigslist.org/hsh/1331622792.html If I were close I would have it!!!LOL!
Found a picture- wow this takes me back!
http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii58/h20loo/man-barbecuing-steaks_CB100827.jpg

My grandfather had a grill about like that I believe from Sears or Montgomery Ward. It was yellow though and had the warmer up top and a round grate that he always kept moving over the fire in the back. He got it in the late 60's or early 70's. It was still in use when he passed away a few years back. It never sat with dead coals and he swore by using sand under the coals - apparently can't argue with that.

Thanks for the flash back.

SmokyOkie
08-26-2009, 11:07 AM
That is exactly what I spoke of my grandfather having in an earlier post. Notice the notches for a rotisserie. That is what I started cooking on.

These were upgrade units. Most plain folks ( like my parents) just only had the round tray w/o the hood. They had a crank handle for raising and lowering the grate.

Thank yo so much for the bit of nostalgia.:sign0092:

BTW, I don't know how long they made them, but I remember my grandpa's as ealy as the early 60's

chef schwantz
08-26-2009, 12:07 PM
There isn't much that you can't do on a weber. I use mine for 75% of my cooking/smoking. Its the perfect tool for all jobs.:cheer:

SmokyOkie
08-26-2009, 03:19 PM
There isn't much that you can't do on a weber. I use mine for 75% of my cooking/smoking. Its the perfect tool for all jobs.:cheer:

Perfect? all jobs??????????

Well if you say so Chef:msn-wink:

h20loo
08-26-2009, 03:39 PM
. They had a crank handle for raising and lowering the grate.

Thank yo so much for the bit of nostalgia.:sign0092:

BTW, I don't know how long they made them, but I remember my grandpa's as ealy as the early 60's

Haaa! I forgot about that. Ours had a fulcrum handle that you squeezed to allow it to move up and down. I remember my dad trying to adjust it and of course with the coal dust and or rust around it the action wasn't smooth. He ended up tipping the whole thing over on himself. Needless to say his action wasn't smooth either!! I remember that like it was this morning!! LOL

h20loo
08-26-2009, 03:44 PM

That 20 sq.ft cooker should make short work of your percentages!!
You are definitely right about the Weber product with everything from the portable grills right around to the gassers they have it all and a loyal following.