PDA

View Full Version : I'm Going Bananas

glued2it
08-08-2009, 09:41 AM
After three years, one of my banana trees finally bloomed.

the little bananas are only about an inch dia. so far.

I'm not sure what breed it is but the bananas grow in separate bunches unlike the typical bananas you by in the store.

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd186/glued2it/bbloom.jpg

BigAL
08-08-2009, 09:45 AM
Thats neat, purty too.:thumbs up: Look'n forward to bananas foster.......or a good Foster Brooks clip.:thumbs up:

Nice to see ya back.

PigCicles
08-08-2009, 09:55 AM
Please tell me you aren't switching from beer to banana daiquiri's. I agree with the turd ... it is a purty looking bloom. Will you get any bannanas from it or will the winter kill em off before they are ready?

glued2it
08-08-2009, 10:05 AM
bananas grow very rapidly. you can tell the growth difference from moring to evening. The little green things are the bananas and they will be long eaten before we get a freeze.

I havn't had a drink since june 27th.

Buzzwinder
08-08-2009, 11:52 AM
Congrats on the bloom Jeremy, I saw you posted it on the Org. I agree with Mitchel that it looks like an Orinoco with angular fruit, when do you normally get your first frost where you are at?

BigAL
08-08-2009, 11:55 AM
bananas grow very rapidly. you can tell the growth difference from moring to evening. The little green things are the bananas and they will be long eaten before we get a freeze.

I havn't had a drink since june 27th.

:thumbs up: Good to hear IT. Keep it up!:thumbs up::wings:

Now, drop the smokes too.:shrug:

Bassman
08-08-2009, 01:18 PM
That's pretty neat having your own banana tree, Jeremy! I didn't realize they would survive here.

glued2it
08-08-2009, 05:47 PM
:thumbs up: Good to hear IT. Keep it up!:thumbs up::wings:

Now, drop the smokes too.:shrug:

I think I'll have a smoke now that you mentioned it.:sifone:

That's pretty neat having your own banana tree, Jeremy! I didn't realize they would survive here.

I started with one tree and they multiply like crazy. I have about a dozen or so and gave some away.

Here's a pic from last year when it was still pretty small.

http://www.theqjoint.com/forum/showpost.php?p=10875&postcount=7

Here's a pic before I dug some of them up last fall. I left them together so I would have larger ones to plant this year.

This year I have been keeping them seperated.

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd186/glued2it/bananapot1010087.jpg

The one with the bloom is about 18-20' foot now.

Ornico's are pretty cold hard hardy and can be left in the ground all year round here.

Congrats on the bloom Jeremy, I saw you posted it on the Org. I agree with Mitchel that it looks like an Orinoco with angular fruit, when do you normally get your first frost where you are at?

Thanks for making your way over to the joint.:thumbs up: Looks like a few others have made it over as well.

we usually get the first frost in Oct.

BigAL
08-08-2009, 06:05 PM
Those look awsome IT! Thats some cool ****akiees right there!:thumbs up:

SmokyOkie
08-08-2009, 06:16 PM
Way cool J! Are you going to eat the flower? I guess the Asians do because I see them for sale at the Asian store.

Buzzwinder
08-08-2009, 06:48 PM
Jeremy, what ever your doing to those plants , keep it up, they look great! With the first frost in Oct. you may want to cover it that first night so the fruit doesn't get hit, but the way the weather has been this year you should be good, bananas take about 4 months from flower to harvest, we are just now getting summer weather here in N. IL. usually gets hot and humid the start of July, It just got here!!!!

peculiarmike
08-08-2009, 08:25 PM
Wow Jer! Neat! :thumbs up:
You don't have to take them in when it gets cold.
When I was a pup (LONG time ago) we lived next door to a little ol' widow lady who had a nanner tree growing in a wash tub. She paid my brother and me a buck each to haul it down to her basement each fall and back out to her yard each spring. Never saw it produce any nanners though.

californiasmokin
08-09-2009, 09:07 AM
Nice tree Jeremy!We had some on the side of the house.Dad used them for Kalua Pig before he planted his fruit trees etc.Tried to get pictures from my mother but she broke up the albums and distributed the pictures among us kids.Have to track down who has them.

glued2it
08-09-2009, 12:28 PM
never thought about eating the flower, I might give it a shot.

I ate some pretty bad things in my life so how bad can it be?

I'm going to leave most of the large ones out this winter.

I'm going to pot some pups and dig up a couple large ones so I can have there plot for something else next year.