PDA

View Full Version : Wood Trade....

BrisketRex
02-18-2008, 12:14 PM
I started this idea on a couple of other boards and thought you guys might be interested.
Certain types of wood just can't be had where we live, so here's a way around it.
The USPS offers a flat rate shipping box. It costs 8.95 to ship it anywhere in the US, and I think it's a little more to ship internationally. There is no weight limit. I've been able to put almost 8lbs worth of wood chunks in one of these boxes.
At the moment, I have enough pecan, cherry, sugar maple, plum, silver maple, and apple to last me this next grilling and smoking season. So I'm out of the trading circle for the moment.
But the way it works is like this...........find a partner to trade with(using this thread and PMs), get a box from the USPS, fill it up, send it off, and when your partner gets the box, they can use the same box, fill it up and send it back to you. You can even trade wood for other things like rubs, sauces, etc.
Hope it works out! I've done this before and can tell you it's a lot of fun!
http://shop.usps.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10152&storeId=10001&categoryId=13359&productId=11697&langId=-1
Here's some info on the box.

Bbq Bubba
02-18-2008, 01:13 PM
I have also done this and must say it is a lot of fun...
How else this Yankee gonna get his Mesquite and Pecan??

Geek with Fire
02-18-2008, 01:52 PM
Anyone interested in some fine quality Hedge (AKA Osage Orange). Just kidding. Hedge burns like hot coal, but is supposedly bad for you. http://www.jegreer.com/images/smilies/sick0020.gif . Too bad I have a ton of it!

SmokyOkie
02-18-2008, 02:43 PM
With a winter like this one I bet you'll use a bunch of it staying warm.

ds7662
02-18-2008, 06:27 PM
I have a good supply of apple if anyone wants to swap for some.

glued2it
02-19-2008, 08:56 AM
About the only woods we can't get here is citrus woods. Seems like lemon wood would be good for chicken and maybe some pork.

peculiarmike
02-19-2008, 10:56 AM
I think this is a great idea!
I'm like the Geek, LOTS of Osage Orange (AKA hedge). It burns hotter than ****. Got a bunch of black locust & honey locust also. All fireplace & campfire material, once you get around the 4" thorns.
I may be coming into a trailer of hickory in a bit.

SmokyOkie
02-19-2008, 11:09 AM
About the only woods we can't get here is citrus woods. Seems like lemon wood would be good for chicken and maybe some pork.

I don't know about lemon, but I've heard that grapefruit is the bomb.

Anybody out there got any grapefruit wood they want to swap?

I've got post oak, cherry, mesquite, maple, hickory and mulberry.

BrisketRex
02-19-2008, 11:40 AM
WOW!! My first "Sticky" ever. Too cool!!

Well, I just gotta try and get a trade going now! I'm looking to trade some pecan or a pecan and plum mix for some citrus............Lemon, Lime, Grapefruit, tangerine, or even an exotic like guava, or watermelon. Oh wait, those don't grow on trees!! I really want some citrus though. Seems very few people use citrus and this was the one wood I could never get a trade for, yet it's one I really want to try.

Any of you east or west coast folks wanna barter? Send me a PM!
:sign0092::woohoo:

glued2it
02-19-2008, 11:43 AM
I don't know about lemon, but I've heard that grapefruit is the bomb.

Anybody out there got any grapefruit wood they want to swap?

I've got post oak, cherry, mesquite, maple, hickory and mulberry.

You don't have any pecan?

SmokyOkie
02-19-2008, 02:59 PM
You don't have any pecan?

:oops: I forgot, I've got about 1/2 rick of pecan. Of course, after the ice storm, anybody and everybody in Tulse has about as much pecan as they could want.

glued2it
02-19-2008, 06:12 PM
:oops: I forgot, I've got about 1/2 rick of pecan. Of course, after the ice storm, anybody and everybody in Tulse has about as much pecan as they could want.

Yea I should have gotten more!

nascarchuck
02-20-2008, 09:44 AM
This is a cool thread. Never thought of doing this before! Just wish that I had a stash of wood to trade!

Bbq Bubba
02-20-2008, 09:51 AM
This is a cool thread. Never thought of doing this before! Just wish that I had a stash of wood to trade!

You tellin me you can't round up any Mesquite to trade for say some Cherry???

SmokyOkie
02-20-2008, 10:25 AM
Yea I should have gotten more!

There's still a ton of it laying around. You could go to one of the dump sites and wait for somebody to bring a trailer load in. For that matter, you could bring a chain saw to my office parking lot and get a bunch.

Pecan for cherry? Are you coming this direction any time soon?

nascarchuck
02-20-2008, 02:18 PM

Actually, I do have a pile of mesquite out back, but the termites got ahold of it...

Guess that I could buy a bag or two and trade!

SmokyOkie
02-20-2008, 02:47 PM
Actually, I do have a pile of mesquite out back, but the termites got ahold of it...

Guess that I could buy a bag or two and trade!

I don't think i've ver seen mesquita that had been eaten on by termites, ants, borers or some kinda critter. Is it so bad that it can't be burnt?

nascarchuck
02-20-2008, 02:55 PM
I don't think i've ver seen mesquita that had been eaten on by termites, ants, borers or some kinda critter. Is it so bad that it can't be burnt?

:shrug: I dunno know???

I posted pics and asked on two other forums before y'all started up here and everyone said not to use it. It is kinda moldy looking with all of the holes that the critters made.

Here are a coupla pics that I took.

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z227/nascarchuck/wood4.jpg
http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z227/nascarchuck/wood2.jpg

SmokyOkie
02-20-2008, 03:20 PM
I've burnt wood like that. I didn't have any taste issues, just didn't get much heat out of it. I mean all that's there is wood and pellet cooker or Bradley fuel.:stir:

Bbq Bubba
02-20-2008, 06:01 PM
I personally would not use that for cooking food, maybe a good bon fire....

BrisketRex
02-21-2008, 01:13 AM
I'm with Bubba, looks likes the terms got the best of it. Bon fire grade material. I wouldn't want molds spores getting to the meat.

BrisketRex
02-21-2008, 01:36 AM
By the way .................any takers...............pecan for citrus............or even some persimmon or any other exotic that I aint ever tried!!

SmokyOkie
02-21-2008, 11:40 AM
I have plenty of pecan, but i'll send you smoe mulberry if you want. I also have some choke cherry.

As to burnig the dosie mesquite, I only burnt it cuz there wasn't any other mesquite to be had in this area back then. You really can't taste any mold, and the spores burn off.

Bbq Bubba
02-22-2008, 01:10 PM
Let's see if i can get this thing rolling.....
Here is some Cherry i have to swap, just got some Mesquite and am lookin for some Hickory, anybody???

http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/3427/udspics011jn2.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Bourbon not included but dog may get sent along!!
This is how you will receive it....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v377/thirdeye2/Barbecue%207/IMG_0335a.jpg

SmokyOkie
02-22-2008, 02:27 PM
I've got hickory and pecan both but no chain saw to slice the logs up into packable pieces. Any suggestions on an easy way to slice them up (and I don't think shoving them up my:censored2: would be effective).

I have a rick of cherry w/ another on the way, but I'll send you some hickry or pcn if you want some.

Now if you're eever headed this direction and have a whole rick of cherry, I'd swap you 1 1/2 ricks of pecan for it.

Bbq Bubba
02-22-2008, 03:12 PM
I've got hickory and pecan both but no chain saw to slice the logs up into packable pieces. Any suggestions on an easy way to slice them up (and I don't think shoving them up my:censored2: would be effective).

I have a rick of cherry w/ another on the way, but I'll send you some hickry or pcn if you want some.

Now if you're eever headed this direction and have a whole rick of cherry, I'd swap you 1 1/2 ricks of pecan for it.

Now thats funny!! :roflmaoha0:

SmokyOkie
02-22-2008, 03:24 PM
I was refering to your earlier suggestion of what to do with the therm deeal I posted. It is kinda funny isn't it.:saythat:

gunrunner2491
03-25-2008, 07:41 PM
Originally Posted by SmokyOkie http://www.theqjoint.com/forum/images/western/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.theqjoint.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2956#post2956)

Now thats funny!! :roflmaoha0:

:roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0:I'm sorry, but that is funny:roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0:

Gunslinger
04-03-2008, 10:59 AM
Let's see if i can get this thing rolling.....
Here is some Cherry i have to swap, just got some Mesquite and am lookin for some Hickory, anybody???

http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/3427/udspics011jn2.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Bourbon not included but dog may get sent along!!
This is how you will receive it....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v377/thirdeye2/Barbecue%207/IMG_0335a.jpg
If you're still interested, I have more hickory than I can use in a lifetime. It's shag bark hickory, which is the sweetest of the hickory trees and the hottest burning. Rivaled only by hedge in terms of BTU's per ton.

mwthomas
06-30-2008, 08:33 PM
Has anyone ever cooked with pear? I'll be cutting a pear tree down soon and don't know whether to save the wood or throw it on the burn pile.

SmokyOkie
06-30-2008, 08:37 PM
I'm interested in that info too. The ice storm last winter left plenty of it available.

Bbq Bubba
06-30-2008, 08:54 PM
I actually have quite a bit of Pear i scored last year, just gotta chunk it up and it's ready to go!
I have heard nothin but good things about, similiar to apple, sorta sweet smoke!
I will try some this weekend and give a report! :msn-wink:

mwthomas
06-30-2008, 09:28 PM
I'll wait to see your report. Thanks a bunch

rwc565
07-01-2008, 09:23 AM
Has anyone ever cooked with pear? I'll be cutting a pear tree down soon and don't know whether to save the wood or throw it on the burn pile.
DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT PUT THAT PEAR ON THE BURN PILE.:smack: it is very much like apple wood. It has a great taste and aroma. If you dont want it, I'm sure someone will snap it up in a hurry.

SmokyOkie
07-01-2008, 02:46 PM
What kinds pear is it? I mean is it fruiting pear or ornamental (bradford)?

mwthomas
07-01-2008, 06:10 PM
fruiting. it's about half green - half dead. this is the first year it hasn't had pears on it.

rwc565
07-03-2008, 10:17 AM

I have a wood splitting maul that I use to split my wood with. When I get rich, I'm gonna get me a hydraulic splitter. A friend of mine has a cherry tree a in his backyard that was destroyed by the ice storm. He told me that if I wanted to come and cut it down I could have the wood. Me and my son are going to do that this coming weekend. I have quite a bit of apple ,pear and pecan that I got as a result of the ice storm to go along with the large supply of hickory I already had cut and split. The ice storm we had here in Oklahoma was tragic for the tree here. But it sure was a God send for smokers!!

cabinetmaker
07-03-2008, 10:57 AM
I have a wood splitting maul that I use to split my wood with. When I get rich, I'm gonna get me a hydraulic splitter. A friend of mine has a cherry tree a in his backyard that was destroyed by the ice storm. He told me that if I wanted to come and cut it down I could have the wood. Me and my son are going to do that this coming weekend. I have quite a bit of apple ,pear and pecan that I got as a result of the ice storm to go along with the large supply of hickory I already had cut and split. The ice storm we had here in Oklahoma was tragic for the tree here. But it sure was a God send for smokers!!

I'll come and help for a little of the cherry stash.

SmokyOkie
07-03-2008, 11:59 AM
Me too. I also have two small pecans trees that went down in the storm at my office parking lot,but I don't have a chain saw. It would be easy to strap them to my truck and pull them the rst of the way down. There's prolly 3/4 of a rick to be had.

rwc565
07-03-2008, 02:42 PM
Me too. I also have two small pecans trees that went down in the storm at my office parking lot,but I don't have a chain saw. It would be easy to strap them to my truck and pull them the rst of the way down. There's prolly 3/4 of a rick to be had.
I would come and cut it up for you for part of it.If your interested, let me know and I'll give you my cell #.

I'll come and help for a little of the cherry stash.

I got the cherry stash taken care of...thanks anyway

SmokyOkie
07-03-2008, 03:28 PM
I would come and cut it up for you for part of it.If your interested, let me know and I'll give you my cell #.

It'll prolly be 3 or 4 weeks before I'll be able to get with you on it, but you could have most of it, I've got about 6 ricks of wood out back right now, so I don't really need any more wood. I would trade you some prime maple for some cherry though.

If you want to drop me a PM as a reminder in about 3 or 4 weeks, I'll give you a call and we can work out a time.

Can't blame a fellow for speaking up can we?

cabinetmaker
07-03-2008, 04:29 PM

Guess you don't really care about any of my pecan stash then?

rwc565
07-03-2008, 04:35 PM
Guess you don't really care about any of my pecan stash then?

I have some pecan already. But mostly I dont think that the cherry tree is very big. I have not seen it yet but the way it is described, it is pretty small, about 4" at the bottom. so really not enough to share. I was able to get some pecan from 2 different trees last winter after the ice storm.

cabinetmaker
07-03-2008, 04:41 PM
I have some pecan already. But mostly I dont think that the cherry tree is very big. I have not seen it yet but the way it is described, it is pretty small, about 4" at the bottom. so really not enough to share. I was able to get some pecan from 2 different trees last winter after the ice storm.

No harm, no foul. Just screwing around with ya. Cherry trees around here are not generally very big.

mwthomas
07-06-2008, 07:05 PM
Well I cut the pear tree down. Taking the advice of rwc565 I cut it smoker lenght. After it seasons I'll know whether or not it is anygood firsthand. I want to thank everyone for their input in this matter,espesially rwc565.

gregrobbins
09-13-2008, 12:25 AM
I have a good supply of Mesquite and would like to trade for some fruit woods, hickery, pecan or ?

SmokyOkie
09-13-2008, 11:31 AM
Greg,
There is a button in the top toolbar that says "buy specialty wood" if you don't get any takers and want to buy some fruitwood. Proceeds go to supporting the site here.

Bbq Bubba
09-14-2008, 09:47 AM
I have a good supply of Mesquite and would like to trade for some fruit woods, hickery, pecan or ?

I'll trade ya a flat rate box of cherry for some Mesquite!
P.M. me your info, i have some goin out this week!

SmokyOkie
01-20-2009, 11:35 PM
I've used Dave's Alder and it's great on cheese, fish and poultry!:thumbs up:

swamprb
01-23-2012, 11:33 PM
I have a Large Flat Rate box ($15) full of French Oak wine barrel staves that contained Cabernet Sauvignon that I would like to trade for some nice Pecan if anyone is interested?

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t310/swamprb/IMG_4040.jpg

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t310/swamprb/IMG_4037.jpg

Let me know!

SmokyOkie
01-24-2012, 11:57 AM
I have a Large Flat Rate box ($15) full of French Oak wine barrel staves that contained Cabernet Sauvignon that I would like to trade for some nice Pecan if anyone is interested?

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t310/swamprb/IMG_4040.jpg

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t310/swamprb/IMG_4037.jpg
Let me know!

Just so happens that I have some fresh split pecan. It is in forearm sized splits with very little, if any, bark. Too big to fit in priority mail, but I can get some out parcel post for the difference in postage. PM me if you are interested.