PDA

View Full Version : Looking for info

seaham358
08-03-2009, 12:26 PM
I got a couple hundred dollars burning a hole in my pocket, so I'm thinking of getting a Gas or electric smoker.. I Love my Char broil silver smoker but I want a set it and forget it type smoker for those looonnnnggggg smokes.
I'm leaning towards gas because I got a LP guy in my area that fills tanks cheap.
Any suggestions would be great..

Thanks Bob

seaham358
08-03-2009, 12:58 PM
Checking out prices online and I see Sears sells a Kenmore Gas vertical for $160 and it has great reviews.. Anyone have this?
I may jump on this seeing it's on sale... And the store near me has 3 left.

BigAL
08-03-2009, 01:02 PM
Bob, I understand what ya want, but I'd stay away from lp or gas. When we went from lp to charcoal to pellets it was ok. When we ate at the inlaws who still have lp we were surprised. Just our opinion, though.

Look into a WSM, I've heard many good things about them. Heck, a kettle is good also.

I've never had elec so I can't say much about it.

Just my opinion, worth what it cost ya.:msn-wink::D

good luck:thumbs up:

SmokyOkie
08-03-2009, 05:41 PM
Or, you could save a few more bux and get a Backwoods.:msn-wink::roflmaoha0:

PigCicles
08-03-2009, 06:45 PM
Or, you could save a few more bux and get a Backwoods.:msn-wink::roflmaoha0:

I wonder if anyone knows where to find a Backwoods dealer?? :msn-wink:

seaham358
08-03-2009, 06:46 PM
Picked up the Kenmore. I went together real easy and it's not a cheap made unit.
I seasoned it then tossed on some wings for it's first smoke..
The temp gauge in the door is off + 50 degrees.
It seems easy to keep a constant temp after playing with it.
I have never used a water pan before so I'll be playing with spices and Beer in there to see what flavor I can add to what ever I'm smoking.
For the price it seems like a nice unit..

Thanks for the info guys.. I was looking to get something local and I have a very limited selection...

PigCicles
08-03-2009, 06:49 PM
Congrats on the purchase. When you get it fired up again how about some pics and maybe a few thoughts on what you think of it by then. Kinda help out future members who are looking for something like that.

seaham358
08-03-2009, 07:12 PM
She's still smoking my wings.. here's a pic from my cell

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f356/seaham358/164a4ac4.jpg
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f356/seaham358/6de28959.jpg

I have to get used to using wood chips and the water tray.
so far I like the unit.. Sturdy, easy to assemble, Maintaining a constant temp is easy, not much smoke leak from the door. I think I'm gonna like this smoker..
For large smokes I'll still be using my Silver smoker.
Main reason I got this is for the long smokes, Pork butts and Briskets. I'll be trying one in the next week ot 2.

PigCicles
08-03-2009, 07:24 PM
Alrighty then! Nice photos. Everyone always checks out the new girl from both sides - so you're off to a good start. Thanks for the pics and your comments.

Bbq Bubba
08-03-2009, 07:46 PM
Shoulda read the Drum thread. :shrug:

Grats!

peculiarmike
08-04-2009, 10:20 PM
Kenmore is always something else rebranded.
Looks an awful lot like a GOSM gasser in disguise.
They are really easy to use and turn out good que.
So now, show us the grub! :1987_food:

seaham358
08-05-2009, 07:32 AM
I've been messing up and not taking any pics of the food... Sorry :oops:
I know that's have the fun on the site.. :blushing:

The wings were Great... Someone posted that they used Durkees Chic and Rib rub then glazed with Honey at the end... What flavor the wings had..
I did the same rub/honey with a hunk of Riblet meat and that was outstanding. Used Apple chips with the pork and it had some nice flavor.
I'll take pics on the next smoke..

I've looked at some pics of the GOSM and they are Damn Close to being the same. The door handle is different and the racks are a little different. The GOSM has the damper control where the Kenmore has the stack..
I'm impressed with the Kenmore so far, easy to set up, and smoking is super easy..