PDA

View Full Version : Pig candy

Short One
02-17-2008, 09:11 PM
Tried this yesterday and the Mrs. who loves the Brown sugar rubbed bacon thought the new style was great.
I rubbed some thick sliced bacon with my rib rub and smoked it like regular pigcandy. It was a little salty for my taste and I think the next batch will be made with rib rub that contains no salt and see how it comes out like that. Probably next Saturday in Ks. Will keep you informed.

PigCicles
02-17-2008, 09:20 PM
Keep perfectin it til it's right, then hurry back here and give us the recipe! I bet it was a bit on the salty side. I know you'll get it down and it'll be irresistible.

TX Sandman
02-17-2008, 10:49 PM
Sounds like a plan, Short! I can't wait for a recipe to try.

Short One
02-17-2008, 11:19 PM
Sandman, to make pigcandy you need some thick sliced bacon and brown sugar. Rub the bacon slices with the br. sugar until each slice is well coated. Place the slices of coated bacon on a rack of somekind and place in smoker. Smoke at 225 to 250 degrees until the bacon is cooked and the brown sugar has carmelized. You need to keep a close eye on them so as not to burn the sugar. When done let cool and enjoy. You'll probably learn real quick to keep some hidden back for yourself. My mrs. loves the stuff and doesn't like to share.

The candy I am referring to in the above post, I rubbed with some of my rib rub, but came out salty. As I make my own rub, I am going to mix up some without salt and try it.

p.s. Don't know what kind of smoker you have, but pigcandy take a lot of room to cook.

TX Sandman
02-17-2008, 11:29 PM
Sounds great. Thanks!

BTW, to take it a step further, a buddy of mine once smoked a pack of bacon to render all the fat out and make it very crunchy. Then, he took it and coated it in chocolate. Before my time, but he says it was very tasty, and he had a lot of folks asking about it.