PDA

View Full Version : How Much Butt???

antny616
07-20-2009, 09:10 PM
Planning on doing a practice run on butts in a couple of weeks for about 75 or so. I am guessing about .5 lb per person pre cooked but that is just a guess. Anyone have any advice or some tips on what to do / not to do. Plan to do first comp in sep. and this will be our first BIG cook so I want it to go well.

Thanks a lot.

antny:sign0092:

SmokyOkie
07-20-2009, 09:54 PM
1/2# per person precooked should work if you have a couple sides, and if you have an average crowd. If you have a bunch of big eaters, you may want to increase it by about 50%.

Butt Lover's
07-20-2009, 10:00 PM
a half pound per person would get you about 1/3lb serving portions. Like Tim said, normal eaters that will be fine with plenty of sides or someone doing portion control.

SmokyOkie
07-20-2009, 10:03 PM
Yeah, when they say average, they are considering a few kid and little old ladies.

If it's all a bunch of fat guys, you better bump it up.

Ya know, pig butt is cheap, and it freezes well. You might as well be on the safe side.

TX Sandman
07-20-2009, 10:17 PM
I know for me, I plan on 1 lb uncooked/person. But it's family, big eaters, and they fight over leftovers. But I'm not doing it for money, and it isn't like I'm off by 4-5 whole butts.

antny616
07-20-2009, 10:30 PM
Yeah, when they say average, they are considering a few kid and little old ladies.

If it's all a bunch of fat guys, you better bump it up.

Ya know, pig butt is cheap, and it freezes well. You might as well be on the safe side.

We will be serving a plate with 2 sides for a $ and we will control the sammie size. The crowd will depend on the weather, we will at a small C store in a farm town and most of the farmers come there to eat anyway. I think we should do around 75 or 80 lb to be safe.

Thanks for the info.

Partyshack BBQ
07-20-2009, 11:54 PM
you guys serve a lot . I get 5 portions per lb and noone leaves hungry. we did 300 last weekend and hit it spot on. We had leftovers for our servers and people to graze for about half a hour.

I know catering here and catering there is vastly different. Here from our experience we serve more brisket than butt. Like 3 to 1 more. After the number of events we have completed this summer we have it down to that. We started at 2 to 3 ratio

Oh and our butt is and our brisket is to die for :)

Chargrilled
07-21-2009, 07:34 AM
When we did the party last year, 100 folks, I figured, 1/3 lb sammys after cooked.

We also figured 1/3 loss when buying butts, not everyone had a PP sammy but most did and we figured there were a few more folks there than 100 and we had plenty for all, not a ton of leftovers either:msn-wink:.

Umpa
07-21-2009, 08:17 AM
i do an 8#ish butt for 10-12 ppl. i say a butt makes 16 "Good Size" sammies. also depends on the buns you get. go for the fancier ones, like 4.5 inches or so, and 4-5 oz per sammy. go a little wonder bread style and 3 oz per. are you pulling or chopping?? figure 50% loss if pulling (greater cooking time and less fat and stuff in the mix).

can always cook a little extra.. its cheap. whats an extra butt cost $9.. beat running out...

Umpa
07-21-2009, 08:21 AM
Planning on doing a practice run on butts in a couple of weeks for about 75 or so. I am guessing about .5 lb per person pre cooked but that is just a guess. Anyone have any advice or some tips on what to do / not to do. Plan to do first comp in sep. and this will be our first BIG cook so I want it to go well.

Thanks a lot.

antny:sign0092:

for 75.. 50# raw butts. looking to get 25 or better pounds of finished meat. thats 5 oz each.. (if you want 8 oz...start with 75lbs of butts..)

Partyshack BBQ
07-21-2009, 05:28 PM
for 75.. 50# raw butts. looking to get 25 or better pounds of finished meat. thats 5 oz each.. (if you want 8 oz...start with 75lbs of butts..)

Do remember as well that what people eat is geographic. Here we eat more brisket the pork. Umpa is in carolina and pork is more popular. Catering is very geographic and knowing your crowd helps

antny616
07-21-2009, 08:34 PM
Do remember as well that what people eat is geographic. Here we eat more brisket the pork. Umpa is in carolina and pork is more popular. Catering is very geographic and knowing your crowd helps

I am only surving pork, so they won't have a choice. Thanks for all the help boys.