PDA

View Full Version : Backyard Cooks Comp...

Umpa
07-20-2009, 03:20 PM
so we are entering our first comp in sept. just going to the backyards level to start with. what i was wondering is whats the judging process for backyard cooks?? i know the blinds and all.. but are you first judged on site.. just curious...

we think we have a great product. and that wasn't by accident. lots of research and years of cooking and we hit it right. call it a good guess, but its good. so going into the comp with the same research passion. might have a leg up with more knowledge even tho its our first comp. maybe not.. we'll see..

didn't know if the pee-wee league was as strict or regimented as with the pros up on the main street...

thanks....

Butt Lover's
07-20-2009, 03:53 PM
I guess it depends on the sanctioning body. I'm guessing it's MBA, which I know nothing about...Sorry If it's a KCBS comp, then no on site judging. I would contact the contest organizer to make sure.

Good luck with it! Don't be suprized when you get bit by the comp bug like alot of us here have!

Umpa
07-20-2009, 04:35 PM
the site doesn't say, but they do have a memphis bbq network logo somewhere on the sight. waiting on a email from the city center partners... we'll see..

i already got the bug... just haven't entered any yet... works been stupid.. hard to work 50-60 hours in a restaurant and find time to do smoke...ha..

Umpa
08-11-2009, 07:53 PM
Question for the masses... what kind of stuff do you see at the Anything Butt contest..?

I entered the butts and rib categories, also doing the anything butt, sauce, bloody mary/screwdriver and if the wife has her way... the themed tent area too. like the cooking part wont be enough for our first comp.

for the backyard anything butts.. was thinking:
salsa and guac with some blue corn tortillas.. i make a bombdiggity salsa..
homemade sausages with a pineapple compote
smoked meatloaf
some flavor of wings
Korean flank steak rolls
Hawaiian pupu platter
crab cakes with orange ginger sauce
huli huli chicken...

who knows.... never seen what people enter here.. thinking a lot of fatties and abt's...

Butt Lover's
08-11-2009, 09:17 PM
those flank steak rolls sound good to me!

SmokyOkie
08-11-2009, 10:03 PM
Prolly needs to be meat, and something extravagant usually wins. the old saying is that you have to spend more than you can win to win anything butt. I remember one that was bacon wrapped tenderloin and lobster chunks with a mirin/wasabi glaze.

Jeff Hughes
08-16-2009, 03:37 PM
Desserts generally do wuite well in the open category...

Be sure to inquire about presentation. Often in a KCBS comp you have to fit the presentation into a 9x9 box. Some dishes don't translate well...