PDA

View Full Version : My first catering event...

Butt Lover's
07-19-2009, 05:44 PM
Went over without a hitch! We cooked briskets, butts, beans, potato salad, corn on the cob and sheet cake. Everything got rave reviews except the potato salad, which was store bought. I need a potato salad recipe bad! I was more nervous than at a contest! Was great to see everyone enjoyed the food.

I do need help with the potato salad though!

BigAL
07-19-2009, 06:56 PM
How many did ya feed Mike?

I was think'n Tim(okie) or Jim(bybbq) had a good one. Also check bbq pit boys, food network, etc to come up w/something good. Gonna take practice, but that is the fun of it.

Congrats on a job well done!:thumbs up::woohoo:

Pics? :shrug:

Umpa
07-19-2009, 07:13 PM
i got a really good one that i might be willing to share with ya....i'll email it to ya..

Butt Lover's
07-19-2009, 07:31 PM
Cool, thaks Umpa. We fed 40 people. Small, but I learned so much and I am glad the first one was small!

Bbq Bubba
07-19-2009, 07:34 PM
Sweet! :thumbs up:

But did you make any money? :msn-wink:

SmokyOkie
07-19-2009, 07:56 PM
:thumbs up:
I do have a kick a$$ tater salad recipe ( or hould I say the Okette does), but it i not cheap, and i a lot of work to make. I don't think it is likely a good commercial recipe.

It is what I want when I want tater salad though.

Have you tried the Reser' deviled egg tater salad? It's pretty good for factory made, and it's fairly cheap too.

did you try Lance's recipe? He said he get rave reviews on it.

Butt Lover's
07-19-2009, 08:09 PM
I did make a little money, and I mean little. But I did have to buy a lot of things I will not have to buy again. The potato salad is what Lance said he uses for catering....

yakdung
07-19-2009, 08:17 PM
Looking for a potato salad recipe, I would look in here. John Folse understands real food and how to eat!

http://www.jfolse.com/fr_salads.htm#vegetable
:thumbs up:
Enjoy,
Yakdung

chadd17
07-19-2009, 09:49 PM
Glad it went good for you Mike. No pics? :smack:

Joneser
07-20-2009, 07:12 AM
Way to go Mike! Hopefully this takes off for you.

Big Daddy
07-20-2009, 10:38 AM
My bride and I did an event for the Fellowship of Christian Athletes in late June...it was about 50 people....grilled chicken and pork chops with a 5 beans concoction....sweet slaw (like KFC)....etc....no potato salad...We used dry rubs on the meat and finished them with a wet sauce glaze....

we made a vinegar mess that has corn, peas, peppers, onion and the like...former major league pitcher Kent Bottenfield flipped over it...he wanted the recipe so bad he gave me his phone numbers and home address.

When doing stuff like this one has to watch getting the big head....everybody loves the cook....but my pleasure comes from watching people eat...

congrats on the first catering gig...and many more to ya!!!!!

Umpa
07-20-2009, 02:55 PM
well i looked.. i thought i had it here at the house and was just gonna post it. BUTT its at work. everytime i need to make pot salad, i always end up doing it at work, easier in a big kitchen.

I'll swing by there tomorrow and grab it. the basics, cut up the potatoes (i use skin on red a's....) and boil. while that going make a marinade (olive oil, mustard, salt, pepper, sugar, apple cidar vin).. when the pots are fork tender, drain and toss with marinade. put into a sheet pan of some sorts and put in the fridge till cool. make the "sauce", mayo, green onions, red onions, celery and the kicker: Bacon bits. not that imitation crap. i have a nice little supple of good applewood smoked that i use. it can be left out if they are pickie. but as your use would most likely involve pork anyway, no think it would matter much for bbq catering. the key is the marinade and letting it absorb into the pots as they cool.. and no..reg vin wont work as well.

off the top of my head, its 6# tators for 25 ppl... the rest i don't remember off the top of my head. i could make it, but to write it down for you.. not so much

SmokyOkie
07-20-2009, 09:02 PM
:wow: That' 1/4# + tater before you ewven put in the onion, selery, sauce, etc.

That's a lot of tater salad per person. It must be good.

Partyshack BBQ
07-20-2009, 11:50 PM
mike I sent the recipe. I got to quit giving up my secrets though. It won't be a secret very long that way

You can't miss with my p salad

Partyshack BBQ
07-20-2009, 11:58 PM
I did make a little money, and I mean little. But I did have to buy a lot of things I will not have to buy again. The potato salad is what Lance said he uses for catering....\

Mike did I give you the recipe?

I did a event sat and people were licking the pan clean. I kid you not.

Glen reproduced it too and said the same thing

Partyshack BBQ
07-21-2009, 05:25 PM
lol I gave him the recipe but he left out a major ingredient .

flying illini
07-21-2009, 10:16 PM
\

Mike did I give you the recipe?

I did a event sat and people were licking the pan clean. I kid you not.

Glen reproduced it too and said the same thing

Yep, we loved it. I thought something went array.

Butt Lover's
07-22-2009, 07:48 AM
Wrong brand! My bad, I deleted the message long ago and for some reason remembered the wrong brand name. I tried some of Lance's potato salad last night with the right brand and it was good.

Umpa
07-22-2009, 12:42 PM
:wow: That' 1/4# + tater before you even put in the onion, selery, sauce, etc.

That's a lot of tater salad per person. It must be good.

yeah its good!! but you loose lbs when you cook em. works out to be about 1/2 cup per person. so its not too heavy on the portion...

Partyshack BBQ
07-22-2009, 10:32 PM
Wrong brand! My bad, I deleted the message long ago and for some reason remembered the wrong brand name. I tried some of Lance's potato salad last night with the right brand and it was good.

Glad to hear man, I was like crap how the hell. Must of sucked cutting and boiling all those taters for a store bought taste :)