PDA

View Full Version : Controlling temp in brinkman gourmet electric smoker

gt2003
07-17-2009, 09:29 AM
Is there a way to control the temp? I've got a couple of fatties on this thing right now and have never cooked on it before. So, low and slow is not so much of a concern but when I get to different cuts of meat, ie brisket/pulled pork, is there a way to control the temp? Do most folks drill a hole and install a thermo? Do you control the temp by opening the small door on the side. Any help is appreciated. Thanks, Greg

PigCicles
07-17-2009, 03:16 PM
I don't know much about this smoker but I'll give the thread a bump for ya.

:bump:

1FUNVET
07-17-2009, 03:25 PM
I had one several years ago but gave it to my brother -n -law. I could not find a way to control the temp. Basically once it was plugged in the temp went where ever it wanted. Opening the door did not help and taking the lid off, just cooled it down. I had a thermometer that i put in,but it was kinda useless.

Bbq Bubba
07-18-2009, 12:52 AM
That unit runs at 240 from the factory which is a fine smoking temp.

Don't worry about controlling temp as much as learning how to make thin blue! :thumbs up:

That was my very first introduction to smoking and i learned a ton on that unit.

gt2003
07-18-2009, 06:46 AM
Thanks. I had never used this one before and it doesn't have a temp guage so I was clueless. I was just doing a couple of fatties so exact temp wasn't a huge concern. But, making thin blue smoke was more difficult. One small chunk of wood at a time seemed to work pretty well. Thanks for all the comments. I'm sure the smoker will go home with me today so I'll have some experimenting to do!

flying illini
07-18-2009, 09:12 PM
Greg - I started on one too. Agree with Bubba it runs steady. They run steady but I found wind or changing ambient temps can make them cycle up or down. Also, I would do what I could could to keep the wood chunks in a pan but sometimes they would ignite and spike the temps, too. I would tilt the lid the 'vent' it or wrap it up in a welding blanket on cold days. (this was in Michigan before I moved) A weber air vent or a homemade piece of metal with screw to move it over a hole would be very helpful. (I never did that mod)

I drilled a two hole just below the lid to get my thermo leads in there.

I put sand in the 'water' pan as it will empty on longer smokes. (butt)

That unit runs at 240 from the factory which is a fine smoking temp.

Don't worry about controlling temp as much as learning how to make thin blue! :thumbs up:

That was my very first introduction to smoking and i learned a ton on that unit.

SmokyOkie
07-18-2009, 10:25 PM
How'd the fatties turn out Greg?

gt2003
07-19-2009, 07:28 AM
Thanks flyinIllini, it's not my first smoker but it's all I had to work with that day. I was just worried about the temp that it got to because I didn't have a thermo to test it. I'm sure if I inherit it for lack of a better word that I'll play with it to see what I can come up with. I'll always got my heavy steel offset to fall back on!

Tim, really, like you said, "how can you screw up a fatty":msn-wink:. They both turned out great and were the talk of the after party! Unfortunately, when they were at about 135 we had to run talk to the minister who was doing the funeral and they ended up getting up to 185ish but were still good. I can only imagine how much better they'd have been had I been able to keep a closer eye on them. All in all the week has gone well!