PDA

View Full Version : diabetic rub?

lazy
07-14-2009, 06:56 PM
It looks like there's a good chance my MIL will be staying with us for a month or so later this summer.

Her diabetes has progressed from just whatching her diet 4 or 5 years ago, to daily injections. Does anyone have any idea if I can replace the sugar in rubs with the Splenda-type stuff? Or just drop the sugar completely?

Thanks.

PigCicles
07-14-2009, 06:59 PM
Either way should be okay. Check with her on what she uses. Most of the sugar substitutes are fine though. You may want to find conversions.

californiasmokin
07-14-2009, 07:17 PM
I am not sure but I think they are a little sweeter than sugar.They make one for baking.

http://www.splenda.com/page.jhtml?id=splenda/products/granular.inc

Butt Lover's
07-14-2009, 08:00 PM
I have tried it just for $(*^&T and giggles and didn't like it. But I am a very picky eater so don't take my word for it. Cookshack makes a rib rub that I think is sugarless. It's basically head country rub minus the sugar. Good luck!

phatQ
07-15-2009, 09:24 AM
Splenda is a 2 to 1 replacement for sugar. If you would use a teaspoon of sugar in a recipe you only use a half teaspon of Splenda. Use half as much Splenda as you would sugar.
And Splenda has different baking qualities. It does not caramelize like sugar so if used in a rub keep that in mind. The bark will be somewhat different.
Us phat guys know these things.

Umpa
07-15-2009, 04:09 PM
we father in law got us some bad byrons butt rub last year. sugar free. it was good. i know there are recipes out there for his rub, but seems cheaper to buy it. i went to a competition cooking class last year, and the guy that was teaching it (MIM winner..btw) said that rubs and such shouldn't contain sugar or salt. all the commercial rubs out there are laced with both b/c its cheaper than the other spices. used as a filler. let me look around, i got his book someplace. i'll post some of the rubs in it, sans sugar..

and if you wanna try the splenda, use the granulated (measures same as reg sugar) or the brown sugar version.. not the reg powder stuff..

okie joe
07-15-2009, 06:45 PM
I make 7 differnt rubs without Sugar or Salt.....flavorful and my Dr. was wanting to know about them for his Family,,,,,,I like spices but not hot....I know some people say spicey is hot.....Spices to me are flavorful not always hot....I use splenda not sugar as stated use less. and it will have a different bark not carmerledized....No sugar no to very low salt. I have diabetes...I take pills now not shots....and watch everything I eat.

PigCicles
07-16-2009, 12:03 AM
There's that Okie Joe ... where ya been buster??

How bout sharing one or two of those special spice rubs???

okie joe
07-16-2009, 10:28 PM
Well thanks Pigcicles and all I don't sell rubs. that is the dark side,,,,so far Im not into that money hungry ( I have a secret) and Pizzzon you group....

2 Tbs Chili powder
2Tbs Tones Garlic and herb (Sams)
2Tbs Paprika
1Tbs Crack black pepper
2 Tbs Onion powder
2 Tbs dried thyme,basil,rosemary, dried and mixed to gether 1 oz each blended together then 2tbs of the blend.

no salt no sugar....
Step this up as big as ya like 2=4 tbs or more

Umpa
07-20-2009, 03:04 PM
i finally found the recipe i was looking for.. from Billy Bob Billy of the Holy Smokers 2
2 Tbls Basil
2 Tbls pepper
2 Tbls Paprika
1 Tbls Chili Powder
1/2 Tbls Cayenne
1 Tbls Garlic Powder
2 tsp celery seed
1 tsp dry mustard
2 tsp cumin

(for his finishing rub... make that and add 4 Tbls brown sugar....) not so diabetic friendly..but thought i'd add it on as its on the same page in the book...ha