PDA

View Full Version : Speak up Pellet Heads

ButcherBBQ
07-09-2009, 09:31 PM
Okay this area of the forum has been idol way to long. Lets all start posting about the positive things that pellet cookers or pellet smokers have over the traditional cookers and make them all envious.

Okay I'll start off, I never have to worry about do I have enough wood for the season or is it seasoned just right.

SmokyOkie
07-09-2009, 09:45 PM
Oh $h!t!!!!

SHHHHHHHHHHHH be quiet or you'll wake up Big Al!!!!!

Let's see David...you don't have to worry about whether or not you have enough wood.......Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. No, I'll leave that alone.

I love pellet cookers. One day soon I'll own at least one.

Did I mention that I am an FEC dealer?

I'd really like to cook another comp with one but I don;t have one at present. Do you know anyone that might be willing to loan me one long enough to cook a comp?:roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0:

On the serious side, I really do hope you'll get this forum rolling. You are very mush right. I has been idle way too long. Just don't get Big Al fired up. If you do, you'll see what I mean.:msn-wink::sign0092:

Thanx for the contribution David!

PigCicles
07-09-2009, 10:38 PM
The really great thing about pellet cookers is that as long as Big Al is around I have someone to pick on. That said this is for Big Al...

They make really great boat anchors :msn-wink:

chef schwantz
07-09-2009, 11:07 PM
Aren't pellets what rabbits leave laying in the yard after eatin your garden?:msn-wink:

BigAL
07-10-2009, 06:03 AM
:sifone:

Awsome, another pellet head!:woohoo:

Sad thing is that I'd like to get a weber kettle.:blushing: Wife and kids are tired of everything from the grill/smoker has a smoke flavor. They would like to have "plain" food sometimes.:ack2::shrug: I do understand though.

As far as pellet smokers, you can sure make a consistant product, maybe good or bad.

Butcher, you did open yourself up w/the wood comment.:roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0::msn-wink:

Pig, the pellet smokers would still work out here if ya used them as an anchor. Hence the name of the small town near me, Shallow Water.:roflmaoha0:(is true)

Gotta go check wells. See ya Turds later.:D

Joneser
07-10-2009, 06:38 AM
I was at a wine festival and there was a Papa Murphys vendor there giving away a Little Tex, Traeger. Click here (http://www.papamurphysgrilling.com/) to enter. I figure if I win it, I'll try it....always been curious about how they work and what kind of results they have.

Butt Lover's
07-10-2009, 07:52 AM
I love my FEC! In fact, I just loaded it to head to Tulsa :)

peculiarmike
07-10-2009, 11:48 AM
NOW ya did it, woke up Big Al. :smack:
Dang! :ack2:

We'll never hear the last of this.

:roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0:

SmokyOkie
07-10-2009, 01:05 PM
Aren't pellets what rabbits leave laying in the yard after eatin your garden?:msn-wink:

Wood eating rabbits

ButcherBBQ
07-10-2009, 02:54 PM
Oh $h!t!!!!

SHHHHHHHHHHHH be quiet or you'll wake up Big Al!!!!!

Let's see David...you don't have to worry about whether or not you have enough wood.......Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. No, I'll leave that alone.

I love pellet cookers. One day soon I'll own at least one.

Did I mention that I am an FEC dealer?

I'd really like to cook another comp with one but I don;t have one at present. Do you know anyone that might be willing to loan me one long enough to cook a comp?:roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0:

On the serious side, I really do hope you'll get this forum rolling. You are very mush right. I has been idle way too long. Just don't get Big Al fired up. If you do, you'll see what I mean.:msn-wink::sign0092:

Thanx for the contribution David!

Your wrong, just like most cookers we have to plan ahead and have our mini logs bought.

ButcherBBQ
07-10-2009, 03:05 PM
Just thought of another one, When its 100 degrees outside the heat from the smoker won't drive you 20 feet away.:twocents:

SmokyOkie
07-10-2009, 06:50 PM
Do you build a fire with the mini logs in the bottom of the cooking chamber?

somebody told me that the pellets were actually sawdust that was fed to donkeys and then rum through a feed mill. Is there really any truth to that?

I think it was Big Al that told me that.:shrug:

BigAL
07-11-2009, 03:56 PM
Do you build a fire with the mini logs in the bottom of the cooking chamber?

somebody told me that the pellets were actually sawdust that was fed to donkeys and then rum through a feed mill. Is there really any truth to that?

I think it was Big Al that told me that.:shrug:

Not a donkey ya derlick, a jackass. Get your animals right.:tap:

To make "home-made" pellets feed a male guinea pig your favorite type of wood(no not that one! that sick!) then stick a cork in the "exit" site. After one week hold him in a bag, kick him in the "saddle bag" and pull the cork(watch out, and don't point it at anyone). Let it dry well and season w/k.salt and ground blk pepper. Then you'll have the best material to smoke a sob. :roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0:

SmokyOkie
07-11-2009, 04:06 PM
:roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0::r oflmaoha0::roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0:

Buzzwinder
07-11-2009, 05:52 PM
:roflmaoha0: I don't care who ya are, that there was funny :roflmaoha0: :sign0092: I needed that!

PigCicles
07-11-2009, 07:19 PM
So freakin funny I had to read it a second time for another laugh. Then re-read it when the wife read it :roflmaoha0: :roflmaoha0: :roflmaoha0: !!!!

Where's Fatback Joe at?? He has a dog to try this with doesn't he?? Or is the Willkat??

BA_LoKo
07-11-2009, 08:51 PM
So freakin funny I had to read it a second time for another laugh. Then re-read it when the wife read it :roflmaoha0: :roflmaoha0: :roflmaoha0: !!!!

Where's Fatback Joe at?? He has a dog to try this with doesn't he?? Or is the Willkat??

I think you're right, Joe. Joe does that same trick with Bill. :shrug:

And never once did we hear him complain about that cork.

:roflmaoha0:

ButcherBBQ
07-13-2009, 06:29 AM
Jealousy won't get you the best BBQ, but maybe you feel better about your self. :roflmaoha0:.
Okay it is easier to packup when your done cooking. Okay I will give the stick burners kudos on that they work harder ALL night playing keepers of the flame, also they have heck with the wind, that they have large temp swings, and it is easier to over smoke with a stick burner vs. a pellet cooker.

SmokyOkie
07-13-2009, 10:04 AM
But they don't have an electronic controller to worry about giving them false temp readings.......?

And, they have real wood smoke.:msn-wink:

cajun_1
09-06-2009, 02:38 PM
Just bought a Traeger BBQ 150 yesterday.

BigAL
09-06-2009, 03:10 PM
Just bought a Traeger BBQ 150 yesterday.

:wings::wings::wings::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::thum bs up::thumbs up::thumbs up:

cajun_1
09-06-2009, 03:46 PM
It's the model just under the trailer mounted smokers. Think it used to be the "COM 150" ... :thumbs up:

PigCicles
09-06-2009, 06:38 PM
Don't do it Tim! Say it ain't so! Come back - don't trust the light. Save yourself while you still can! :roflmaoha0:

Another fine smoker lost to the pellet god of darkness

Congratulations Tim. Bring some pics of it in action and let's see some of that food too.

cajun_1
09-06-2009, 07:56 PM
Don't do it Tim! Say it ain't so! Come back - don't trust the light. Save yourself while you still can! :roflmaoha0:

Another fine smoker lost to the pellet god of darkness

Congratulations Tim. Bring some pics of it in action and let's see some of that food too.

PC ... I still have all my other smokers. Hard to do those all nighters. I see the "light", but I'm not running toward it. Should have it in about 10 days.

TX Sandman
09-06-2009, 09:09 PM
My dad has joined the ranks of the the pellet heads. After grilling on a Ducane, and later a Weber Summit, he came home from the hardware store with a Traeger. He loves it, and does notice a difference in flavor vs the gas grill. So far he's done ribs, steaks, and chicken for us, all good stuff.

I was bright red when he brought it home, though. He was cooking some steaks and was describing how it works. "You just set a temp right here and every so often it *thpppp* spits out some more pellets." I bit my tongue on comments like:

1. "Just like a rabbit, huh?"
2. "Did you say 'spit' or '$#!t'?"
3. "Well, they're nicknamed 'pellet poopers' for a reason'."

:msn-wink::roflmaoha0::saythat:

BigAL
09-07-2009, 06:18 AM
It's the model just under the trailer mounted smokers. Think it used to be the "COM 150" ... :thumbs up:

Did you get the digital therm? Did they show you how to cover the drip plate w/foil so it's easy to clean?

I'm happy for ya, they are so nice and easy.

Hey Rob, I'm proud of your dad.:wings: Your NEXT!:roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0:

cajun_1
09-07-2009, 06:25 AM
Did you get the digital therm? Did they show you how to cover the drip plate w/foil so it's easy to clean?

I'm happy for ya, they are so nice and easy.

Hey Rob, I'm proud of your dad.:wings: Your NEXT!:roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0:

I haven't received it yet. 7-10 days. Yes it has the digital.
http://traegercommercial.com/commercial/com150.cfm
I saw the foil on the one the guy was cooking on ... figured it was for easy clean-up.

Thanks Al

Partyshack BBQ
09-07-2009, 10:09 PM
I haven't received it yet. 7-10 days. Yes it has the digital.
http://traegercommercial.com/commercial/com150.cfm
I saw the foil on the one the guy was cooking on ... figured it was for easy clean-up.

Thanks Al
Yes the foil is for clean up on your drip/heat diverter. Use the foil it makes it really easy. I wonder if it has 2 drip pans on that. It would be a awfully long pan if not.

just relooked it has 2 buckets so it does. Its basically 2 of my old unit. Your gonna love it. You can do pizza's without a stone and just about anything you can cook in a oven. We used ours a lot as a oven during the summers. Worked great and I miss it.

SmokyOkie
09-08-2009, 07:57 PM
It's not too0 late to get one of these (http://store.cookshack.com/p-126-fast-eddys-by-cookshack-fec100.aspx)instead, and I know somebody that can get you a special deal.:blushing:

I think it looks like a great cooker Tim. You don't believe in testing the water do you? I mean you just kinda jumped in head first, huh?

cajun_1
09-08-2009, 08:20 PM
It's not too0 late to get one of these (http://store.cookshack.com/p-126-fast-eddys-by-cookshack-fec100.aspx)instead, and I know somebody that can get you a special deal.:blushing:

I think it looks like a great cooker Tim. You don't believe in testing the water do you? I mean you just kinda jumped in head first, huh?

Not head first ... been having my eye on Traeger for the past few years.

SmokyOkie
09-08-2009, 08:31 PM
That's still a pretty deep dive. I bet it's a great cooker!

cajun_1
09-11-2009, 06:34 PM
It's here..... Will pick it up tomorrow.

californiasmokin
09-11-2009, 06:44 PM
It's here..... Will pick it up tomorrow.

Congratulations!

Looking forward to seeing some great food come off it!:thumbs up:

GrillDaddy
09-11-2009, 07:31 PM
I don't get it, if you want everything already done for you, just order out

silver-bullet
09-11-2009, 10:12 PM
Don't let these guys kid ya there just jelious.:D:D Your going to LOVE your Traeger. My only mistake was I should of bought a bigger one than the LiL Tex (070). And $1.500 Less than the fec your :D:D all the way home from the bank. The ease & simplicity to use this unit is can't be beat
Here is another little tip for ya. What I use in the grease pail that works REALLY WELL is I cut a 68 oz juice bottle in half & set it in there to collect the grease. When your sick of looking at it just lift it out & set another one in. I'm told the leiter bottles of soda cut in half fir in there also

SmokyOkie
09-11-2009, 10:46 PM
Don't let these guys kid ya there just jelious.:D:D Your going to LOVE your Traeger. My only mistake was I should of bought a bigger one than the LiL Tex (070). And $1.500 Less than the fec your :D:D all the way home from the bank. The ease & simplicity to use this unit is can't be beat

But that certainly doesn;t mean the FEC is not a better value. the totally stainless construction is worth something.

Now, I'm not saying that either one is a better value, I just don;t think that price is always the measure of the better value.

SmokinOkie
09-16-2009, 10:44 AM
But that certainly doesn;t mean the FEC is not a better value. the totally stainless construction is worth something.

Keep in mind Traeger's aren't insulated (unless they've changed design) and that does make a different in pellet usage as well as being able to use it year round (depending on your location)

SmokyOkie
09-16-2009, 01:44 PM
Very true Bubba. There are many other differences as well that IMHO make the FEC a better value, but this prolly isn't the place to extol their virtues.

Besides, sometimes a lower overall price point is the major deciding factor.

I mean it just isn't everybody that can justify a $3500 smoker, even if they can afford it.

jpats
06-07-2010, 10:08 AM
never have to worry about temp or smoke control. It is automatic.

Savannahsmoker
07-10-2010, 02:43 PM
When doing pork shoulders or briskets in the Lang I was up all night. With the Traeger I put the meat on about 10PM and sleep all night.

jimsbarbecue
11-16-2010, 12:51 AM
What I like is that I cook on the Pelletcooker 5 times or more a week. Never had the time to do on my other smokers.

redneck cooker
06-05-2011, 05:40 PM
I bought a traeger jr. a montyh ago, for comp chicken, man I sure like the ease of how it works...:msn-wink:, but i'm having a hard time leaving my primo at home and taking the traeger with me.....:shrug:

SmokyOkie
06-05-2011, 09:14 PM
I bought a traeger jr. a montyh ago, for comp chicken, man I sure like the ease of how it works...:msn-wink:, but i'm having a hard time leaving my primo at home and taking the traeger with me.....:shrug:

I'd be afraid to haul that Primo around too much.

oaksmoke
06-05-2011, 10:12 PM
A kettle will outcook both of em'!

redneck cooker
06-06-2011, 06:54 AM
I'd be afraid to haul that Primo around too much.

I have had the same thoughts...

SmokyOkie
06-06-2011, 10:03 AM
A kettle will outcook both of em'!

Prolly not.:shrug:

tomshoots
06-06-2011, 06:00 PM
Never owned or cooked on one. The cost scared me away. I think they are pretty cool though. Gotta be easy to use.:thumbs up:

tomshoots
06-06-2011, 06:07 PM
:sifone:

Awsome, another pellet head!:woohoo:

Sad thing is that I'd like to get a weber kettle.:blushing: Wife and kids are tired of everything from the grill/smoker has a smoke flavor. They would like to have "plain" food sometimes.:ack2::shrug: I do understand though.

As far as pellet smokers, you can sure make a consistant product, maybe good or bad.

Butcher, you did open yourself up w/the wood comment.:roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0::msn-wink:

Pig, the pellet smokers would still work out here if ya used them as an anchor. Hence the name of the small town near me, Shallow Water.:roflmaoha0:(is true)

Gotta go check wells. See ya Turds later.:D

Nothin' sad about that. I's a great grill. But if I had to replace mine I'd sure consider this: http://www.stokgrills.com/grills/tower.php

SmokyOkie
06-06-2011, 08:33 PM
Nothin' sad about that. I's a great grill. But if I had to replace mine I'd sure consider this: http://www.stokgrills.com/grills/tower.php

I'd sure like to see one in person.

It does seem that the dome is a good deal shallower than the Weber.

tomshoots
06-06-2011, 08:38 PM
I'd sure like to see one in person.

It does seem that the dome is a good deal shallower than the Weber.

Last I heard they were a Home Depot exclusive. That's where I first saw it. Check it out.

SmokyOkie
06-06-2011, 08:51 PM
they don't appear to have them here. :shrug: