PDA

View Full Version : Need a mushroom expert again

SmokyOkie
07-05-2009, 09:08 PM
I am totally confused.

A few months ago, I discovered Abalone mushrooms, or at least what I though were abalone mushrooms.

Today I came across info that stated that abalone mushrooms and common oyster shrooms were one i the same. I was a little adlled by this so I started doing a little research. Every reference that I found said the same thing, but I knew that the abalone mushrooms (or labeled as such) were much different.

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p190/dickeydoobbq/HPIM2140.jpg

In the mean time, I had come across some "King Trumpet" shrooms that were about the same, only slightly smaller, and with a definite cap on them. I had wondered if they were a close cousin.

then I came across an image of "Eryngii" mushrooms and they were what I know as abalone shrooms. they listed another name for them as "King Oyster" mushroom.

Does anybody here know enough about mushrooms to make any sense out of this for me?

peculiarmike
07-07-2009, 01:03 PM
Looks like we are low on shroom experts here at The Joint. :shrug:

Fatback Joe
07-07-2009, 01:56 PM
Looks like we are low on shroom experts here at The Joint. :shrug:

At least any shrooms you can buy at the store. :msn-wink:

Chargrilled
07-07-2009, 01:59 PM
At least any shrooms you can buy at the store. :msn-wink:

:roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0:

1FUNVET
07-07-2009, 03:36 PM
I had a room mate that would get mushrooms growing in cow patties and use 'em to make mushroom tea.After seeing what effect it had on him, i decided to stay away from mushrooms :roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0:

Chargrilled
07-07-2009, 09:31 PM
I had a room mate that would get mushrooms growing in cow patties and use 'em to make mushroom tea.After seeing what effect it had on him, i decided to stay away from mushrooms :roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0:

has he got any more????:blushing:

peculiarmike
07-08-2009, 08:29 AM
Yeah............. I wasn't going there.
Too long ago.

SmokyOkie
07-08-2009, 10:31 AM
I don't remember anything like that.:D:ack2::blushing:

GrillDaddy
08-14-2009, 10:02 PM
I get a bunch of different shrooms growing up in my field. I wish I knew wich ones were good to eat and for that matter take me back to college

SmokyOkie
08-14-2009, 10:09 PM
You're giving away you age.:roflmaoha0:

If they're white and start off round like a ball and have a stem and then open up big and round and flat, don;t eat them. they're prolly death caps.

On the other hand, if they're big and round and kinda shaped like a loaf of artisan bread and no stem, they're prolly puffballs and they are great to eat.

GrillDaddy
08-14-2009, 10:19 PM
I get alot of the puff ball looking ones. I just hit them with my mower. some are as big as like a Nerf football. Seriously I would love to eat them if they are OK

chef schwantz
08-14-2009, 10:31 PM
I get alot of the puff ball looking ones. I just hit them with my mower. some are as big as like a Nerf football. Seriously I would love to eat them if they are OK

Sound like giant puffballs. Supposed to be edible. Cut one open and see if there is anything resembleling gills. Eat at your own risk.

GrillDaddy
08-14-2009, 10:33 PM
Eat at my own risk??? Too heavy to deal with

SmokyOkie
08-15-2009, 09:54 PM

Look here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calvatia_gigantea)

They should have a semi non sticky marshmallow inside with no air gaps or gills or hollow spaces. Puffballs come in several different varieties, but the giant t puffball is unmistakeably, between it's size and texture. As they start to get old, they will get yellow streaks through them and eventually turn brow. You don;t want to eat them unless they are snow white w/o any yellow. slice them like thin bread, dredge in flour, shaking off all excess, drag them through some eggwash, then pack with ritz cracker crumb and shallow fry. dip in ranch dressing, or your favorite condiment.

Waaaaaaaaaaaay good eats Mikey!