PDA

View Full Version : Happy 4th and ...

Partyshack BBQ
07-04-2009, 05:30 PM
I'm tired, 3 parties in 2 days and i'm beat. Backwoods Smokers are awesome. Set it and forget it. Also I am now a believer in not using Kingsford for it. I started the smoker about 3-4 pm yesterday for a lot of ribs for the party at my house (can I pay myself :) ) Its still burning now. I used about 20 lobs of charcoal in 24 hours not bad at all. But about 9 am this morning the temp dropped big time. I opened the door and there was so much ash that the coals couldn't get any air. So on with the welding gloves and my homebuilt table to put the fire grate on. Shoveled about 10 lbs of ash into my firepit. Used some tongs to pick out some hot coals and loaded her back up. I will not use Kingsford again way to much ash. I'm sticking with Royal Oak its a lot cleaner. Anyone need a twin pack of kingsford for 5 bucks . 42 lbs of charcoal.

Oh yeah btw I bought a new weber genesis last weekend and I love that thing for a gasser.

Butt Lover's
07-04-2009, 06:05 PM
Very cool, I thought you sold your Party? Still getting a bigger one?

flying illini
07-04-2009, 06:59 PM
PS - Used your tips to help me feed everyone at my house yesterday. I really need a bigger smoker for these things but the 3 drums do okay.

Partyshack BBQ
07-04-2009, 09:09 PM
Glen- which tips :) lol and glad they worked out for you. Cooking for groups is fun once you figure out the easier way to do it.

I decided not to sell it. I had a lot of people wanting to buy it. I only had 2 people that wanted to buy it for what I wanted to sell it for :). After all the thought and prices of a piglet plus. I decided to buy another ext party . I will get about the same cook space for less money. I will also be able to cook my butts hotter than my briskets.

Hows your catering going Mike?

SmokyOkie
07-04-2009, 10:35 PM
Glen- which tips :) lol and glad they worked out for you. Cooking for groups is fun once you figure out the easier way to do it.

I decided not to sell it. I had a lot of people wanting to buy it. I only had 2 people that wanted to buy it for what I wanted to sell it for :). After all the thought and prices of a piglet plus. I decided to buy another ext party . I will get about the same cook space for less money. I will also be able to cook my butts hotter than my briskets.

Hows your catering going Mike?

If you really want a lot of burn with virtually no ash, you should consider Ozark Oak. It also has a real nice smoke flavor.

Do you want to order another Ext.Party? I know somebody that can get you a deal.:msn-wink::oops:

Butt Lover's
07-05-2009, 12:04 PM
Catering is taking off slow. I got three events lined up for this month, all small though.

Partyshack BBQ
07-05-2009, 04:04 PM
If you really want a lot of burn with virtually no ash, you should consider Ozark Oak. It also has a real nice smoke flavor.

Do you want to order another Ext.Party? I know somebody that can get you a deal.:msn-wink::oops:

I will be but it will be in the off season sorry. I can't afford to sell the ranger and only cook on the backwoods. I will tell you though we purchased a new weber genesis and it finished off the chicken 90 pieces nicely. That thing cooks so evenly. Its the wifes :msn-wink: and she cooks with it a lot. She even does Lasagna on it

SmokyOkie
07-05-2009, 05:57 PM
Kinda like taking the kitchen range outside isn't it?

Funny thing, the Okette says she can't cook with charcoal, but she never minded using her gasser. I think there's just something about knobs and women.

flying illini
07-05-2009, 07:12 PM

Just what you told you do for potato salad. Nothing big I know but it was good.

My BB's and chicken thighs were good but with the drum having an uneven temp gradient moving the meat around was not easy as I was trying to avoid flare-ups.

Partyshack BBQ
07-06-2009, 01:18 AM
Kinda like taking the kitchen range outside isn't it?

Funny thing, the Okette says she can't cook with charcoal, but she never minded using her gasser. I think there's just something about knobs and women.
yep it is

It was nice. I did all the chicken plus 15 - 1/2 lb burgers Awesome